Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
Captain Stern

Histry of Middle Earth books? What are they!?!?!?!

I know nothing of these books?

Were they a collection of notes by JRR Tolkien or were they written by Christopher Tolkien?

Can you buy these books?

Need help!
Old 02-14-2001, 06:32 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: Histry of Middle Earth books? What are they!?!?!?!

This <a href=http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_hm.html> page</a> gives details on what can be found in each of the HoMe volumes. Basically, they're a collection of drafts and essays by JRRT along with commentary by CT. They can be purchased, but I think some of the earlier volumes may be out of print now. I recently ordered vol. XI and XII on-line because they were never in the book shops. Vol. XI had to be special-ordered from the UK (but I live in Canada, don't know how US book-sellers work it out).
Old 02-15-2001, 12:33 AM   #3
Inoldonil

HoME

I live in the U.S., Eruve. Barnes&Nobles has the Book of Lost Tales, Book of Lost Tales II, The Lost Road and Other Writings, the Lays of Beleriand, The Treason of Isengard, the War of the Ring and the Return of the Shadow. The rest they'll get for you if you order it.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:48 PM   #4
Kabaju Pyta

have any of you read them? how good are they?

I just finished the LOTR trilogy and that's the limit of my tolken knowledge. Now I'm thinking of reading these but how well writen are they? are they the kind of books that you don't want to put down?
Old 06-06-2001, 03:05 PM   #5
Finduilas

There are a couple of other threads floating around this board discussing the HoME series. The answers on them are pretty good (if they can be found).
Old 06-06-2001, 10:43 PM   #6
Inoldonil

I don't know where you are or what the polar has to do with the matter, but I know more about the HoME. On the whole they can't really be judged as stories, for it is not a fantasy series. It is on the external history of Middle-earth, how JRR Tolkien came to 'create' it. But within these books nonetheless you will find essays, accounts and tales enough, which are very good. Maybe I'm the wrong person to tell you how good they are, I have never found any writing of Tolkien's to be bad, I can't imagine ever doing doing so.

For writings on the later mythos in which the Lord of the Rings intrudes, you can click on Eruve's link to discover which books you'll want from the series.

But I don't recommend delving into the HoME books until after you've read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:29 PM   #7
Lord Xanthyz

Inoldonil, let's say I was just starting to read Tolkien, in what order should I read the books?

So far I have read in this order:
The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales (half-way done)
Old 06-22-2001, 01:59 AM   #8
Inoldonil

With regard to the Lord of the Rings, it is really one story (issuing them in Volumes wasn't Tolkien's idea), so as long as you read it from beginning to end, that will do. It is not a trilogy, contrary to popular belief.

You've read them in the usual order people read them. Sometime you ought to get your hands on The Tolkien Letters, useful book that (to be read after Hobbit, LR and Silm.). There is also the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, a collection of poems, supposed to be for Hobbit children. The title is merely the name of the first one, it is not a book about the Fatherless. It should only be read after the LR, you've covered that. There is also the Road Goes Ever On, but I'm not very familiar with that, it is hard to find and I've never read it.

Otherwise, next up is the History of Middle-earth series. If you are mostly really only interested in writings valid to the final mythology, you ought to get Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels and the Peoples of Middle-earth, Volumes X, XI and XII respectively. A later volume will naturally allude to an earlier one, but it isn't vital you get them in order. I myself got XII first, and recently X. I haven't got XI yet.

Yet (if not for study purposes) the earlier Volumes contain wonderful writings. I myself find The Lost Road (in The Lost Road and Other Writings) to be my favourite writing of Tolkien's, but it is not really in accord with the later legendarium.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:25 PM   #9
Finduilas

The Road goes Ever On is a book of the poems and songs from the LOTR set to music. It's really only useful if you play an instrument. I have it but don't read music or play an instrument.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:05 PM   #10
Lord Xanthyz

I realize that, and that's what I keep telling my brother...but they were printed as 3, so I wrote them as 3
Old 06-23-2001, 06:16 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair

I have found the Histories of Middle-earth to be very difficult reading at times. I did love Morgoth's Ring, which is Vol 10 of that series. Also, anyone that loves the character of Finrod Felagund will appreciate Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth in this book. I would not suggest reading these after LOTRs. The next read IMHO would be the Silmarillion, then Unfinished Tales, and then the HOME.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:54 PM   #12
Finduilas

My favourite is Sauron Defeated (Volume nine) with the Notion Club Papers. I agree that you should read the Silmarillion first. (otherwise good luck)
Old 06-23-2001, 07:33 PM   #13
Inoldonil

Yeah, I really like the Athrabeth. It's one of my favourite Tolkien writings.