Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Friends and the Foalókë

From the Book of Lost Tales II: Of Turambar and the Foalókë
Quote:
And truly is it said: "Forsake not for anything thy friends – nor believe those who counsel thee to do so" -- for of his abandoning of Failivrin in danger that he himself could see came the very direst evil upon him and all he loved
In this version of the Tale Failvrin is Finduilas.
Is friendship a truly sacred thing then. Are friends irreplaceable? How do you know that someone is your friend? Should you anything to stand by them when they are in need?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well to answer that in strictly ME terms, Finduilas was important to Turin because their fates were intertwined, and although I've not gotten up to that part in BoLT I will try to be consistent with what's given in other works. There was love between them, but from the start it was a doomed love, and then cooled and withdrawn as a result of Gwindor's words. Maybe if Turin and Finduilas DID stay together the history of ME might have taken a whole other course, after all in every other case of Man-Elf marriages new hope was always born.

To me though, friends are irreplacable, but I've learned that even if I feel sorry over their loss as long as I have all the other ones I'll be fine.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Túrin's fault was his trust in Foalókë (Foalókë = Glorund, later Glaurung, if someone should wonder), in spite of what he had just experienced, and even that fault was, at least partly, due to the spell cast upon him. We, the readers, know that he should have chosen differently. But if we assume that the dragon's words to Túrin were true, as Túrin believed, then I would say Túrin was facing a cruel choice there. Save the woman that you love and who loves you back, or save your beloved family, mother, sister, and other kin? The choice is impossible. No, I don't think you should do anything to stand by a friend. There will always be restrictions.

The tale of Túrin Túrambar tells of another great friendship, that between Túrin and Beleg (my hero, he is ). Beleg is indeed a true friend. He is extremely loyal to Túrin. He was grieved by Túrin's way of life, and tried to persuade him to turn back. But when he did not succeed, he still chose to stay with him and support him.

Personally I think a true friendship can never be replaced, because every friend that one has got is unique. But that does not mean that you will keep this friendship at any cost.

Last edited by Artanis : 05-30-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote