Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider "Sauron knows them not, they are older than he"

Remember the bit when Gandalf the White re-encounters the remnants of the fellowship for the first time? When they were discussing the duel of Gandalf and the Balrog, Gandalf says something about the tunnels in the Abyss below Durin's bridge to be made by creatures older than and unknown by Sauron.

How can this be? I mean, as a Maiar isnt he at least as old as the world?

Forgive my ignorance if my assumption that all Maiar were made before the world is wrong
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
ann
Sapling

Gandalf

You would think that Sauron would know about them since he was with Melkor for so long, but maybe Melkor created some other foul beings before Sauron came along. Just a guess, I do not know if Sauron's kind where there from the beginning or not.
"This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
-Elrond
ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, all the Ainur (Valar, Maiar, and those of this Race that remained with God) were created by the One before the Universe was shaped.

Some Maiar (or Valar) are older than others though. If the nameless things Gandalf speaks of are corrupted Maiar, it would make sense.

This is what Gandalf says:
Quote:
'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. ...
They could also be members of some unique Race, capable in some mysterious way of being older than Sauron in one sense or another. Beats me.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:17 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You could also take it in the sense that they were older than Sauron in Middle Earth i.e. Bombadil was 'the oldest', the supposition being that he was in middle earth before even melkor.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that these were things that existed in Arda before the coming of the ainur.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, I like that idea better than mine.

Tom was only in the world 'before the Dark Lord came from Outside' according to himself though. I believe his life actually began when Melkor had been driven out and things were beginning to begin again, the beginning of Of the Beginning of Days in The Silmarillion is the right setting, for the first acorn and the first rain drop and all that. Thus when Melkor came back, Tom would naturally think it was his first arrival.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I always assumed that this was a refrence to the Balrog and Gandalf knew it was in Moria... What do you think?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:14 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Okay, let me weigh in here.

I have been trying for a couple of days to delve into LOTR and Silmarillion to set right the quote, "...the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he." I've typed post after post, then erased them, as I find yet anoter conflicting quote which destroyed the carefully-wought foundations of the castles of logic I built. I throw down, finally, trowel and mortar, and I am at the end of my labors. here is my take.

This matter cannot be reconciled. I think that this is another one of those "inconsistencies" Tolkien referred to. Now let's think for a moment here: Tolkien himself belabored over LOTR, niggling perfectionist that he was, editing and re-editing the books. However, he did not do the same for the Silmarillion, and it is there that the inconsitency on this issue arises.

Didn't Christopher Tolkien assemble The Silmarillion from his father's disjointed writings after the Master's death? Isn't it true that it was not in complete, nor even near complete form, when Christopher assembled and edited it? If so, then there was a detail overlooked here.

When the Valar and Maiar entered Ea, it was formless, they having been given only a vision of what would come later on as a result of their labors. And labor they did, and formed the Earth. Sauron, as a Maiar in the service of Aule, helped to form the Earth, and in doing so, must have been OLDER than anything that dwelt therein. Also, as a Maiar, he is really ageless, having existed in spirit with Illuvatar from the beginning. However, if one counts his age from the forming of the Earth, the creator must ALWAYS be "older" than the created.

So. Like the cognizant dissonance between Gildor's claim that Tom Bombadil is "eldest, and fatherless" and Gandalf's assertion that Fangorn/Treebeard is "oldest of the living things which walk under the Sun" [paraphrase], which Tokien left in intentionally [such a perfectionist would not have left this unedited and uncorrected except on purpose], this is an inconsistency. I do not say an intentional inconsitency, because the Master did not produce the Silmarillion in its final form, but it is an inconsistency that he might have reconciled in his [forgive me, Master!] anally retentive re-editing of the Silmarillion prior to his intended release of that book.

Just my humble Elven Warrior's opinion...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:24 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

emplynx, even had Gandalf been referring to the Valaraukar in Moria, the Balrog, the fire-demons of Morgoth the Enemy were Maiar. Sauron also was Maiar, as was Gandalf. Thence, none of the Maiar could be any older than any other, as far as I have been able to discern.

Olorin, known in Middle-Earth as Gandalf, is listed as the "wisest of the Maiar" in the Silmarillion, but Sauron had, apparently, in Middle-Earth the greater strength, and the Valaraukar of Moria was a definite match to the strength of Gandalf as the Grey, at least for the majority of their battle, until the Valaraukar chickened out at Gandalf's mastery, turned tail and ran.

In trying to resolve the age issue, as stated in my other post, no one in Middle Earth, Ea, could be any older than any of the Valar or Maiar, or even Morgoth. Recall that when the Valar were creating Ea, Morgoth was there to despoil all of their creations. He then withdrew for a time, then re-descended into Ea, but he had been there at the beginning. Therefore, Melkor, AND Sauron as a servant Maiar of Aule, both had a hand in the creation of all things, and again, the creation can never be older than the creator.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:20 PM   #9
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

Sauron and

I never knew that Sauron was that old
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:22 PM   #10
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

Sauron and Elrond

I never knew that Sauron was that old!Did Elrond help create Middle earth to?Because in the lord of the rings movie it states that Elrond is 3000 years old.
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:08 PM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No, Elrond did not exist at the beginning of the Earth. That occurred FAR more than 3,000 years prior to the happenings concerning Frodo.

Elrond is the son of Elendil and Elwing. Earendil was the son of Tuor, son of Huor, son of Belegund, son of Bregolas, son of Bregor, son of Beor the Old.

Elwing was the daughter of the union of Dior, Thingol's heir, and Nimloth [of Doriath]. Dior was the son of the union of Beren and Luthien. Luthien was the daughter of Elwe/Thingol and Melian. Elwe/Thingol was one of the first three Elves to leave Cuivienien [the birthplace of the Elves] and come, at the bidding of Orome, The Hunter of the Valar, to Valinor.

Melian was a Maiar spirit who fell in love with Thingol and came to live as his queen in Doriath, the great Elven Kingdom of the First Age.

Elrond is the great-grandson of Beren and Luthien. He was born in, I believe, the First Age. He is VERY old, and of a higborn and quite distinct lineage.

I think I got this genealogy correct.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:10 PM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Correction: Elrond was the son of Earendil and Elwing. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:43 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Also...

Elrond was speaking of the 3000 years since the Last Alliance.

In actuality, he was far, far older.

i.e, the Last Alliance ended the Second Age, but Elrond was born sometime in the First . So he cou.d conceviebly be something like ten thousand years old.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:08 PM   #14
UnStashable
Enting

Elrond wasn't Ten thousand years old (at the time of LOTR), he lived through the enitire 2nd age which (i think) was about 3300 years and the 3rd which was about 3000 years so he was a little over 6k years old (substanial yes but not quite 10k). He was born at the end of the 1st age So i don't think he got any substanial number of years from that age.

I also like Wayfarer's response the best. I recently came into possesion of the Illustraited Tolkien Encyclopedia, and A Tolkien Bestoary, both by David Day and was dissapointed how he just tells you that the things are Kracken and other beasts of Melkor which dosent fit reall well.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:30 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Only problem with that explanation is, NOTHING in Middle-Earth or Ea existed prior to the coming of the Ainur. The Ainur created the Earth, right from the very beginning, and Melkor fought their every effort from the very beginning. Illuvatar only showed the Ainur a vision of the Earth when he opened their eyes to the Void, and when they decided to enter Ea, they found it wasn't there. They had to create it. Sauron was a Maiar in the service of Aule, and was there at the beginning of all things as well.

Again, no living thing could possibly have existed prior to the coming of the Ainur, because the Earth itself did not exist prior to the coming of the Ainur. Ainur, ergo est. [wink!]
Old 01-07-2002, 04:05 PM   #16
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Perhaps so..

Well it may be that instead of the truth coming straight out to us there is another approach that I will try to portray to you friends now.

When manwe and the others were creating the world it was then that Melkor said this"This shall be my own kingdom ; and I will name it unto myself!" Then manwe told him that tohers had worked on it that he can't have it and what not and at that time then he called unto himself many spirits both greater and less

This shows that there were others in the world than that of just the Valar and Maiar hence the Balrogs could have also been one of these spirits just a spirit that worked for Melkor. So it could be that these spirits were not older than Sauron but older to Middle Earth than he.

Just another thought although I dont' think we'll ever find an answer.
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

But, Elfstone, the Valaraukar, the Balrogs, were Maiar. Check the Silmarillion, page 26.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

"Only problem with that explanation is, NOTHING in Middle-Earth or Ea existed prior to the coming of the Ainur. "

Where is this said at all? Of course the Flame Imperishable at least was there. There's no inconsistency or error with nameless things in the depths of the earth being older than Sauron. There's no reason to suppose that Sauron was the oldest Maia, there could be older Maiar, or 'older' could mean 'older in the world' as Wayfarer suggested. Something could have been in the shapeless Ea before the Valar arrived, being an independent creation of Eru.

Quote:
Again, no living thing could possibly have existed prior to the coming of the Ainur,
No living thing that required air to breath. Though, I believe the Ainur themselves are considered to be alive. Even so, the nameless things may not be living things. Tom Bombadil, probably, is not considered to be a living thing (for whatever reason). Anyway that's my logic, Tom's Eldest, Treebeard is the oldest living thing, so Tom's not considered to be a living thing.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:43 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

An interesting theory I heard said that tom bombadil was the rational incarnation of the music of illuvatar, while creatures such as ungoliant arose from the dischord of melkor.

In that case... they, and anything else that arose fromt he music, could have existed prior to the coming of the ainur.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:41 PM   #20
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

An interesting theory I heard was that Tom Bombadil is a Vala (either Tulkas or Aulë) so in that sense he could be older than Sauron too. *stomps on Shannon's foot* Go to school, dolt!