Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2002, 03:33 AM   #1
sauron100
Hobbit

how powerful is Sauron?

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum and i love the Lord Of Rings movies, especially The Two Towers.What interests me is Saurons power and who can challenge him.In the movie, the characters said that they were scared of Sauron, Gandalf feared him, and that Saramon treats him as his lord when they are basically the same type of beings.

Is Sauron the most powerful of these beings?Or is there a reason whey he is so feared even by other maier?I do know that it took only two people to cut the ring from his hand, which also begs the question, was that some kind of ploy to let the ring decieve everyone and bring darkness to everyone,because it does seem pretty weak for the Dark Lord to fall otherwise this defeats the purpose of their being a Dark Lord that rules all.
sauron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Taurwen
Hobbit

umm. I know that Sauron is pretty damn powerful. He is probably the most powerful single being in Middle Earth. However, the collaboration of other powers allowed for his defeat. There are probably other maiar that are stronger than he, in the Undying Lands, but this was Middle Earth's ordeal, which is probably why they wouldn't help.

I'm not completely sure on any of this, but thats my two cents.
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sudering Seas between them lay,
and yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.
Taurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:26 AM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

He was once a Maia, that is Gandalf's order, but he was the most powerful of them, and thus more poserful than Gandalf.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:26 AM   #4
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Or is there a reason whey he is so feared even by other maier
Two, I think:

1. He was the #1 servant of the evil Vala, Melkor (or Morgoth, as the Noldor named him). See The Silmarillion for details. Morgoth was finally bundled right out of the world by the other Valar, but his will remained and Sauron was its chief administrator. He had learned much during the days of his service to Melkor, and his knowledge and experience had deepened in the ages since Melkor's banishment; he had been in Middle-earth far longer than the Istari.

2. The age of Men was coming, the Wise knew, and unlike Elves, Men could be both evil and good: they had demonstrated this since the days of their awakening ages earlier. It was crucial that they be influenced positively in the first years of their dominance, or they would just smother the world in a second darkness. Sauron knew this, too, of course, and so actively sought out men -- by the time of the War of the Ring he had all the major armies of men under his control except those of Gondor and Rohan.

PS: In the book, one person cuts off his finger and takes the Ring: Isildur, Elendil's son, as weregild for his father and brother (Anarion, who had been killed during the siege of Barad-Dur).
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

From the Silmarillion: Houghton Mifflin edition: 1977: Valaquenta

Speaking of Morgoth,

Quote:
Among those of his servants that have names the greatest was that spirit whom the Eldar called Sauron, or Gorthaur the Cruel. In his beginning he was of the Maiar of Aule, and he remained mighty in the lore of that people. In all the deeds of Melkor the Morgoth upon Arda, in his vast works and in the deceits of his cunning, Sauron had a part, and was only less evil then his master in that for long he served another and not himself. But in after years he rose like a shadow of Morgoth and a ghost of his malice, and walked behind him on the same ruinous path down into the void.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 02:58 PM   #6
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Sauron was in an interesting position-the ring increased his power a great deal-and he knew that those who would take it from him and wield it would be destroyed, either because they'd be to weak to wield it (i.e Isildur at the Gladden fields) or because by the time one did wield it Sauron would destory them first (i.e if Gandalf claimed the ring some would oppose him-and Sauron would step in and retake it). He never considered someone destroying it-and that's how Gandalf got him. Sauron, much like his master was stronger then those who opposed them, but was blinded by his evil so he couldn't win. So in that sense he's less powerful than his enemies.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I don't think that Sauron cuoldn't win, he was very close to do it.

he was poewrful, more then the others , but he was the only thing that united his Arms.
the people of Gondor would fight even without thier leader and the others too, but without Sauron his people don't do anithing.

I'm sure I've done a lot of mistakes in english but I can't find them.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
Sauron was in an interesting position-the ring increased his power a great deal-and he knew that those who would take it from him and wield it would be destroyed, either because they'd be to weak to wield it (i.e Isildur at the Gladden fields) or because by the time one did wield it Sauron would destory them first (i.e if Gandalf claimed the ring some would oppose him-and Sauron would step in and retake it). He never considered someone destroying it-and that's how Gandalf got him. Sauron, much like his master was stronger then those who opposed them, but was blinded by his evil so he couldn't win. So in that sense he's less powerful than his enemies.
The Ring did not increase his power. He put forth his power into the Ring. If anything it decreased his being.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-29-2002, 07:27 PM   #9
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elbereth Gilthoniel
I don't think that Sauron cuoldn't win, he was very close to do it.
True. I think this was Tolkien's idea to show that the people who you least escpect will will sometimes suprise you.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 10:38 AM   #10
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I should say his powers of domination. It allowed him to control others more effectively. After all Sauron's purpose is to build and to repair, not to control.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #11
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
...by the time one did wield it Sauron would destory them first (i.e if Gandalf claimed the ring some would oppose him-and Sauron would step in and retake it).
You know, it always puzzled me that, after the battle for Minas Tirith and on the way to the Morannon, Aragorn and Gandalf succeeded in misleading Sauron into thinking some one among them had claimed or would claim the Ring -- wouldn't he know right away if anybody claimed it?
Quote:
was blinded by his evil so he couldn't win. So in that sense he's less powerful than his enemies.
Excellent point!
Quote:
After all Sauron's purpose is to build and to repair, not to control.
Er...isn't that backwards? True, he had to build and rebuild Barad-Dur and repair all the nasty holes in Mordor and the front gates that had been made by the Last Alliance but Control would have been his middle name had he had more than one name to begin with.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #12
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Sauron was a Maia of AUle and as such his purpose at creation was to build. Even after the first age when he refused to to repent his orginal thought was to help rebuild middle earth-but he was far too corrupted to really repent. Arguably he might have really wanted to become Annatar in truth, but could not do so. He lacked the strength of will to repent.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:14 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

So, any Maia under a Vala was to perform or serve in the particular task that the Vala was assigned to by Eru?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-30-2002, 11:21 PM   #14
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'd say a Maia has inherant abilities. Sauron was of the people of Aule, just as Gandalf was of Irmo (I think). Their abilities corresponded to those of the Vala, and I assume they were created to aid the Valar in their labor.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:37 AM   #15
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I'd say a Maia has inherant abilities. Sauron was of the people of Aule, just as Gandalf was of Irmo (I think). Their abilities corresponded to those of the Vala, and I assume they were created to aid the Valar in their labor.
think gandalf was of Manwe people
Old 12-31-2002, 10:47 AM   #16
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I don't have my UT with me, but I think he was sent by Manwe-in the Sil it says he lived in Lorien.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:11 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Gandalf was a Maia under Manwe.

The Silmarillion doesn't say that the Maiar were created to aid the Valar, but it says that they were servants to the Valar. I guess that's kind of the same thing.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-31-2002, 12:23 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Gandalf was a Maia under Manwe.

The Silmarillion doesn't say that the Maiar were created to aid the Valar, but it says that they were servants to the Valar. I guess that's kind of the same thing.
well techincally valar and mair are the same race just the name the valar indicates the beings with the greater power. All of these being were blessed with a part of the mind of eru so its fair to say that they just harkened to the valar in which they had most in common. Sauron and saurman were both very intrested in building and such like and therefore harkened to Aule at least for a time Aule was also most like mind to melkor so thats probably why they turned to evil.

Radagast was of yavanna (correct me if im wrong) so have love for birds and plants. As for gandalf he shows little use of the winds in lord of the rings but he is kingly and good at leading much like manwe himself
Old 12-31-2002, 11:49 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Aule was also most like mind to melkor so thats probably why they turned to evil.
I don't understand this statement. Aule was a good guy.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #20
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think he means that the desire to create and explore through the physical world (Aule's "thing" for lack of a better word at the moment) can be subverted into desire for domination over the physical.