Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Rosie's job

I was reading a movie companion guide to LOTR (don't ask me why) and it said that Sam is in love with Rosie, a barmaid at the Green Dragon Inn. I'm prepared to be corrected, but I really don't remember this from the books and it seems pretty unlikely. What do the books say?
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:48 PM   #2
Banazir
Hobbit

Re: Rosie's job

In the books she was most definitely NOT a barmaid. Or at least, her occupation is not mentioned.
It's just another one of those weird movie changes, to make it more appealing to the modern audience.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Yeah Rosie's no barmaid. Not that it's entirely implausible (Sam being a gardner) but as Farmer Cotton is a fairly prosperous farmer, it's rather unlikely.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #4
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

*gags*
Old 03-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I doubt there were barmaids at all in the shire.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:14 PM   #6
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Why not?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:25 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, why not? Her job's never mentioned, but it makes sense to me.

I also heard that in the movie book or the calendar it says Uruk-Hai come from maggots..I can see where they screwed up here, the orcs often call themselves maggots and there's a reference of them being maggots somewhere.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Rosie wouldn't have nescessarily had a 'job'. Hobbits tended to work in a family business sort of way... sam was a gardener... sandyman was a miller... lotho grew pipeweed... etc. I'll bet anything that rosie cotten just helped her dad and brothers around the farm. Like farmer maggot's daughters.

As for there not being barmaids in middle earth... It's just a preconception of mine. If there were, I think they might be mentioned somewhere. They're not. And the inns/eateries that we get to see close up seem to be operated by a fairly small crew.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:37 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I think there may be barmaids in ME. Why not? Simply because they aren't mentioned doesn't mean they aren't there. To each there own.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:45 PM   #10
Nibs
Head Hollara

Or their own, even...

I really don't know. That's my own. Not your own. Mine.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:00 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Ok, ok. I give. The real reason I don't like the idea of barmaids is that I've been exposed to too many cheesy fantasies in which an 'inn' is equal parts eatery, tavern, hotel, and brothel and barmaids are called 'wenches' who are later bedded by the heroes.

I just can't see that happening in the shire.

I'm kidding, byt he way. ]: )
Old 03-06-2002, 01:12 AM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Exactly. Whoever wrote that isn't very well versed in standard fantasy (or even real world rural) archetypes.
Being a barmaid is most definitely not a respectable occupation for a farmer's daughter, or any other young woman, for that matter. You'd be a young female in constant contact with men who are engaged in a steady consumption of alcohol, not to mention that your peak work hours would be at a time when "decent" people were in bed (sleeping. not the other thing. ) Decent parents like Farmer Cotton would rather have their daughters starve than let them work in a place like that.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 02:08 PM   #13
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well in the books Rosie isn't even mentioned till book six when Sam thinks about where he'd rather be. Sort of an after thought by Tolkien I always thought.
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #14
rainbow
Enting

being a barmaid can't b that bad, sure u might get a reputation but it could b fun! and i can c why all hobbits r good there must b a rebel out there somewhere

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:34 PM   #15
Nameless
Enting

Let's be glad that they have only made her into a barmaid. It could be a lot worse. Rosie could have been portrayed as a warrior princess hobbit!!

Imagine this: Rosie joins Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry on their trip to Rivendell. She helps Frodo fight off the Nazgul and then joins Arwen and together they race with Frodo past the Nazgul and into Rivendell *shudder*. And when Arwen says 'If you want him, come and claim him' Rosie could have said 'But you will have to get through me first' *shuddering uncontrolably*

Yup, they could have turned Rosie into worse things than a barmaid!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
As for there not being barmaids in middle earth... It's just a preconception of mine. If there were, I think they might be mentioned somewhere. They're not.
Except in our history (and today in many places, such as this thread), mud for brains.

I'm moving this to the Movies forum.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:38 AM   #17
Vanimdil
Enting

I coincide with Renille and Wayfarer that Rosie could NOT have been a barmaid. As Renille said, it was not a respectable occupation and I see Rosie as a very wholesome girl-hobbit. I agree with Wayfarer that she was not likely to have a "job" as such, but that she would have helped out on the farm. I picture her churning butter, tidying up the house, feeding chickens and tending her own "bit" of a garden until Sam comes home. That's the type of girl Sam would have been attracted to, rather than the barmaid type.
Vanimdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:39 AM   #18
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Exactly!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:12 AM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

While Rosie being a barmaid is simply a construction of the film, I in no way see the position of barmaid as anything less than honorable. Hobbits love their ale, and to see a fine Hobbit lass at the Green Dragon pulling a pint or two would not make a (an?) Hobbit's toe hair fall out. I agree that Rosie was probably involved in the family farm and not working at the Green Dragon.

However, it reminds me of a little limerick I heard a long time ago....

"On the chest of a barmaid from Swale
Was printed the prices of ale
Whilst on her behind,
For sake of the blind,
Was exactly the same, but in Braille!"
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 02:45 PM   #20
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

They do show Rosie as a barmaid in the tavern. She's cleaning a mug in the doorway as Frodo and Sam leave and stagger back home. So the book is right that Jackson portrayed her as a barmaid. I don't know how many caught her five seconds of screen time at the Green Dragon - when she says goodnight to Sam and Frodo. I think she only had 10 seconds at most of screen time as it is.

I really do think Jackson should have given her a bigger role. How are we supposed to remember her by the end of RotK? If everyone can use that excuse about Aragorn and Arwen - then why not Rosie and Sam. She could have replaced Merry or Pippin and joined the Fellowship - then we would have had a female on the journey. Sam might have FINALLY have gotten the nerve to talk to her between Hobbiton and Mordor.

In the books she was not a barmaid though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote