Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Social responsibility

This grew out of the 10% taxes thread.

What is our social responsibilty?

Is it right that the wealthy should be taxed more? i.e. should they pay a higher percentage?

Is someone responisble if others make unwise choices?

Is there too much welfare in this country ( USA)

Does welfare keep people slaves? "Massa gonna take care us"

Is it the fault of the parents that their kids do not value education?

Are we are brother's keepers?

Feel free to add to this this questions or answer them.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 11-14-2003 at 02:08 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:56 AM   #2
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Is it right that the wealthy should be taxed more?
yes, because they have more. And therefore pay just as much as a not-so-rich person.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:07 AM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

percentage

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
yes, because they have more. And therefore pay just as much as a not-so-rich person.
I should clarify, should they pay a higher
percentage?

I will edit the orginal post.

If you are saying that the % should be same understand. BUT, if you are saying just because they have more they should pay a higher %, why?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 11-14-2003 at 02:10 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A.E. once again ignites the torch of dialogue.

The top 5% of "rich people" pay more than 30% of the total taxes in this country.....or more than their share.
Each wage bracket pays its fare share and no one should be penalized because they have succeeded in this economy.

If responsibility was taken by those who initiate actions and the feel good "it's not your fault" mantra of the liberal educational system were changed, we'd all benefit.

Yes, there is too much welfare in this country. It has become a way of life not a way off poverty and onto a more productive lifestyle as it originally was intended.

yessum, dems people who loves massa takin care o dem

Parents must take some responsibility for their childrens attitudes and values. Otherwise they might as well leave them in a cave at birth and join the animal kingdom.

He is too heavy and I ain't carryin him!

Last edited by Spock : 11-14-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Afro-Elf: you start some of the coolest thought-provoking threads around here!

Just hope people don't start out-and-out fighting in here too!

I'll turn all this over in my head and come back later - when I can really do justice to a reply.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....."everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" LMAO
Old 11-14-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Re: Social responsibility

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
[B]Is it right that the wealthy should be taxed more? i.e. should they pay a higher percentage?]
Well I don't think it is entirely wrong, but I don't like that the wealthy have to pay a higher percentage. if you ask me, it should be as attractive as possible to be rich. There should be incentives in order to make people want to make more money. That is good for society and for the country. To have higher percentages for the wealthy works as a counteract to people's interest to make more money.

Quote:

If the US has too much welfare, my country Sweden has waaaaay too much welfare . The public sector is bigger than the private sector and we pay like half of our income in taxes and still there is a huge crisis and we have a hard time financing our hospitals.
I wonder if it wouldn't be better if we had less welfare.

Quote:
No, it is not. The kids are individuals and they are responsible for themselves. Their parents cannot force their kids to value education.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden

Quote:
This grew out of the 10% taxes thread.

The major problem lies in that every American has to see to it that he/she has a proper life insurence (the poorer third of US citizens can't afford such an insurence).

Is it right that the wealthy should be taxed more? i.e. should they pay a higher percentage?

Not if the taxes go down a bottomless hole and aren't used properly.

Yes and no. Some people may not be suited for making decisions.

No. I don't think so. Most people pay insurence so that they don't have to use welfare.

In a way, welfare is a "loan" and people who loan money are not free.

Definitely. Better parental guidence would see to it that kids would learn that education is vital to their lives as adults.

If mean relatives, you are correct. Not anybody and his brother.

Feel free to add to this this questions or answer them.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i believe that society as a whole is better off if the poor are taken care of... percentages are hard to nail, but i would say any family or individual who is "just getting by" should not have to pay taxes... anyone below that level should be helped out...

who pays for it? it would seem to be much more fair in my eyes that the better off shoulder more of the burden, because they can with much less personal sacrifice

no

Is there too much welfare in this country (USA)

no... it's implementation needs work but i agree with the general idea

again it matters how it's implemented... i think welfare should come with responsibilities (i.e. instead of giving a mother with three kids money and a house, give her the option of earning these things through state-sponsored employment... child care would be provided - which would give someone else a job)

yes... parents have more to do with how a child turns out than any other influence... by a huge amount

we should be... happiness and prosperity go hand in hand... the social problems which effect all of us, while not exclusively related to poverty, have more to with it than anything else

Last edited by brownjenkins : 11-14-2003 at 02:39 PM.
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

much to much welfare
Old 11-14-2003, 03:53 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf This grew out of the 10% taxes thread.

I've addressed this in the 10% taxes thread.

Quote:
I live in a city where there are many many beggars. They are at every busy intersection, with signs that say:
1) "everyone needs help sometimes... god bless"
2) "lost everything, any help will do"
3) and the generic "will work for food"

Actually, I saw a guy on the corner with a sign that said "I need $0.87 for a chicken wing" (he was in front of a KFC). Gotta hand it to him for being honest.

I don't give them money. Why? Because I give to places that are set up to provide meals and shelter to people in need. But they'd rather have the money for a fix. I'm not going to contribute to that.
Quote:
It depends on your perspective on this. I do think that welfare is bad for people when provided with no end, indefinitely. It should be provided for a short period of time without strings. Then it should be provided only if the person attends AND PASSES a mandatory course for education or for a skill. After that, it may be offered only for a limited time throughout a person's lifetime. This might not really work in the real world however, but I do feel that the welfare system needs to be overhauled, desperately.

Quote:
partly.

Quote:
Yes, we are. Throwing money to someone who is poor does nothing to help them in the future. Give them a fish and they eat today, teach them to fish and they eat for a lifetime.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:57 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I find it interesting that everyone who has replied so far took this question as do those lazy welfare cheats sucking off the breast milk of our government abuse the system and no one thought to touch on the subject of CORPORATE welfare which is a more rampant problem as far as people bending the rules to the tune of millions and billions of dollars. Much of our corporate culture is addicted to this and our government is very much in the pockets of many of these businesses and therefor has little insentive to change the situation. whens the last time the single mom on welfare had the same kind of financial influence that a multi billion dollar corporation does? thats right. never. but still the poster child for "evil welfare" is still that working single mother with a couple kids. an interesting social inconsistancy dont you think?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I find it interesting that everyone who has replied so far took this question as do those lazy welfare cheats sucking off the breast milk of our government abuse the system and no one thought to touch on the subject of CORPORATE welfare which is a more rampant problem as far as people bending the rules to the tune of millions and billions of dollars. Much of our corporate culture is addicted to this and our government is very much in the pockets of many of these businesses and therefor has little insentive to change the situation. whens the last time the single mom on welfare had the same kind of financial influence that a multi billion dollar corporation does? thats right. never. but still the poster child for "evil welfare" is still that working single mother with a couple kids. an interesting social inconsistancy dont you think?
If you want to discuss 'Corporate Welfare' then we can do that too. I have strong feelings about that.

Does anyone really think that anyone can make a living out of minimum wage? That's $5.15/hr. IF the employer is kind enough to give the employee 40 hours per week, that's $206/week (without taxes), and ~$892/month (no taxes removed). Most employers will keep the hours to 30 to 35 hours so that the employee never gets full-time status and never gets benefits.

Who do you think picks up the slack so you can have a cheap burger and fries? Well, you do. How? Through your taxes. See? The employees of, say McDonald's, might have families. If they do, they qualify for Food Stamps and Medicaid for the kids.

So, basically, your taxes are going to support these low wage companies who exploit the unskilled labor market, and pocket the billions they make in profit. That's quite ingeneous if you ask me. <-- sarcasm
Old 11-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

Does anyone really think that anyone can make a living out of minimum wage? That's $5.15/hr. IF the employer is kind enough to give the employee 40 hours per week, that's $206/week (without taxes), and ~$892/month (no taxes removed). Most employers will keep the hours to 30 to 35 hours so that the employee never gets full-time status and never gets benefits.

Who do you think picks up the slack so you can have a cheap burger and fries? Well, you do. How? Through your taxes. See? The employees of, say McDonald's, might have families. If they do, they qualify for Food Stamps and Medicaid for the kids.
Working at McDonalds isn't supposed to be a career. You can't just raise minimum wages to support the poor because all it does is increase the costto manufacture the items. When there is an increase in that cost - then it is passed onto consumer. So now - the person is making more in minimum wage - the cost of goods has gone up and they're back to where they were. People have to be stressed that they need an education. How many people donate their time to mentor students, to teach a class? I taught a programming class to high school students (mentored) and I hope to do it again. If I become rich my goal is to start a computer camp for inner city students. The thing is - it can't just stop there - because the attitude of parents toward education has to change.

It's all well in good to say - sock it to the rich. But you know - more rich people do things then people give them credit for. It's no one else's money. It's NOT the governments - it's not societies. They worked for it. I'm sorry if not everyone can jet set off to the french riveria - but I want to WORK for it. I do not begrudge those people for being able to do that. Hopefully one day I will be there. It may not look too promising right now - but I can still try work toward that. Liberals would have me work for it - then have me give all my money away because he doesn't think I deserve it. That's bull. I worked for it and I will fight to keep it.

Do people who think that the rich should pay more - not take any deductions on their tax return - even when they are eligible for them? Or do you take as many deductions as you possibly can?
Quote:

So, basically, your taxes are going to support these low wage companies who exploit the unskilled labor market, and pocket the billions they make in profit. That's quite ingeneous if you ask me. <-- sarcasm
How much are you willing to spend for a hamburger? oh - and they don't pocket billions. The money goes into advances, into new stores (whihc provide more jobs), go to the stock holders.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-14-2003 at 06:55 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:21 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Working at McDonalds isn't supposed to be a career.
No, perhaps it isn't supposed to be. But where do the people with below average IQ's work the rest of their lives? Not everyone has the smarts for college.

How much am I willing to pay for a hamburger? I just bought a hamburger Tuesday and paid $7. I think that's fair.

I think your plans are honorable, to give back to the community. And I feel more people should do something like that.

I don't want to take all your money away once you've earned it. You are mistaken, but I think if you become rich, you should be paying the same percentage of your income as me.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:34 PM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
No, perhaps it isn't supposed to be. But where do the people with below average IQ's work the rest of their lives? Not everyone has the smarts for college.
There are a lot of jobs out there that don't require a high IQ that pays higher than minimum wage. Anyway - in NJ a couple of years ago - the McDonalds north of me on Rt 1 was looking for a night shift person for $9/hr. My cousin who works at a grocery store usually is working extra hours because so many people don't even bother showing up. last week they asked him to come in and paid him $11/hr - he's a senior in high school.
Quote:

How much am I willing to pay for a hamburger? I just bought a hamburger Tuesday and paid $7. I think that's fair.
i bet it wasn't a McDonalds "quality" hamburger though. I'm talking about a McDonalds quality one. You know - the one that is mostly bread, lettuce and special sauce and somewhere in there is a disc that LOOKS like it might be meat?

Quote:

I don't want to take all your money away once you've earned it. You are mistaken, but I think if you become rich, you should be paying the same percentage of your income as me.
That wasn't the question on this thread though. And I don't have a problem paying the SAME percentage - but I shouldn't have to pay a HIGHER percentage justbecause I worked my ass off or because I have money.

IR had a problem with people painting welfare people with the "negative" brush - well I see a lot of people just painting rich people with the same "negative" brush. Rich people are just money hungry snobbish people who don't deserve what they have - that's what I hear him saying.

And this was just on the news on News 12 new Jersey tonight. It is required that people who get federal housing assistance need to do community service - otherwise they will be evicted from their public housing (This only applies to those people 18 years old or over, not going to college and able bodied . Only 75% came out for the job thing (guaranteed community job). 300 people are about to be evicted. You know who much time they have to give to the community for their subsudized housing? 4 hours once a month. I see absolutely no problem with this. This one woman who was interviewed was getting out of a car - she was yelling at the reporter how she couldn't work and she thought it was unfair - she has a bad hip. She seemed to get out of the car fine though - no help from anyone else. Also - if she is truly disabled - all she needs is a doctors excuse.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-14-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:42 PM   #17
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
There are a lot of jobs out there that don't require a high IQ that pays higher than minimum wage. Anyway - in NJ a couple of years ago - the McDonalds north of me on Rt 1 was looking for a night shift person for $9/hr. My cousin who works at a grocery store usually is working extra hours because so many people don't even bother showing up. last week they asked him to come in and paid him $11/hr - he's a senior in high school.
I suspect NJ pays a higher wage because they have an income tax. It aint that way in Texas, sweety.

Quote:
i bet it wasn't a McDonalds "quality" hamburger though. I'm talking about a McDonalds quality one. You know - the one that is mostly bread, lettuce and special sauce and somewhere in there is a disc that LOOKS like it might be meat?
I confess, you got me! I don't eat at Micky-D's. I hate their food, it turns my stomach thinking about it.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:47 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
I suspect NJ pays a higher wage because they have an income tax. It aint that way in Texas, sweety.
No we pay more because we have a higher cost of living sweety. Income tax has nothing to do with it. The market will pay what the market will bear. The market in NJ demands higher wages. New Jersey is the richest state in the country with the highest per capita income. That's why we get hardly any federal benefits - but it also costs a lot more to live in NJ than almost anywhere else in the country.
Quote:

I confess, you got me! I don't eat at Micky-D's. I hate their food, it turns my stomach thinking about it.
Didn't think you would be willing to pay 7 bucks for a crap McDonalds hamburger. Not many people would. In order to keep prices down - to where people would be willing to buy the hamburger - they would need to layoff some people - or cut benefits.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-14-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:27 AM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil No we pay more because we have a higher cost of living sweety.

Are you getting fresh with me?
You naughty boy.
Quote:
Income tax has nothing to do with it. The market will pay what the market will bear. The market in NJ demands higher wages. New Jersey is the richest state in the country with the highest per capita income. That's why we get hardly any federal benefits - but it also costs a lot more to live in NJ than almost anywhere else in the country.
And you don't think that having to pay a state income tax on top of a national income tax contributes to the higher cost to live in that state? I think it also has to do with so many people living in a small state (no offense, just comparing it to Texas, that's all).
Quote:
Didn't think you would be willing to pay 7 bucks for a crap McDonalds hamburger. Not many people would. In order to keep prices down - to where people would be willing to buy the hamburger - they would need to layoff some people - or cut benefits.
Just so you know, there's no price small enough that I would pay for a Mickey-D's burger. ick
Old 11-15-2003, 12:32 AM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
And you don't think that having to pay a state income tax on top of a national income tax contributes to the higher cost to live in that state? I think it also has to do with so many people living in a small state (no offense, just comparing it to Texas, that's all).
It has nothign to do with living in a large or small state. Actually population wise - NJ is about the 15th largest state - even though it's only 3rd in size. Oregon has a 8.5% income tax. Most states have an income tax. However - income tax does not cause a higher cost of living. What causes a higher cost of living is the housing costs because of limited housing and the protected land and everything else.

Another reason NJ is so expensive is because it is right in the middle of the northeast corridor. From central NJ - Washington is 5 hours south and boston is hours north (3 hours by Acela high speed train - in either direction). Philadelphia is one hour south and NY is one hour north from central NJ.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-15-2003 at 12:35 AM.