Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
SamwiseLover2008
Sapling

Please reply

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on lately, I've been bussy and life has been calling me off....

I was wondering if you could please answer a few survey questions for me. I nead this for school, and if you would answer then I'll love you forever. And besides, if you don't, then an orc or cave troll might come get you . Thanks a lot!!! (Note: there are seprate questions for Christians and non-Christians, please select the correct ones):

Survey Questions for non-Christians
Name:
Where you live:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What turns you off (makes you not interested) when you hear the word Christian, see a Bible est.?

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity?

If you are out of your parents house, then did you grow up in a Christian home? If you are not out of your parents house, then are you growing up in a Christian home?

If you answered no to either of the questions above, then did you grow up ever going to church? If so, how often? If you grew up in a family with different religious beliefs, then what were they, and do you believe in them to this day?

What would make you interested in learning more about Christianity?

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it?

Are there any movies, plays, books, est. that have interested you into further research and possibly attending church? If so then what? Why?

Out of ten, rate the chances of you becoming a Christian or faithfully attending a Christian church weekly, one being the lowest, and ten being the highest, any time in the rest of your life.
Why?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
Survey Question for Christians
Name:
Country and/or state/ general area-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What/who lead you to Christ?

Did you grow up in a Christian church?

Did you grow up in a Christian family?
Do you still attend Church faithfully to this day?

What do you think turns people off from Christianity?

How should we (as Christians) best approach sharing the Gospel?

Do you believe in the age of accountability? Can you tell me why or why not? Are there any references in the Bible to this? How old is a person when they reach the age of accountability? If the age varies, then at what point dose a child become responsible for his/her sins?

Is the King James Version the only correct version of the Bible? Do you think that this has any effects on people becoming Christians or not? Why is the King James version the only correct one?

Should the Gospel be shared with children, adults, teenagers, or who? Why?

Have you ever bean physically or verbally persecuted for your religious beliefs? If so, how, and why do you think it happened? Did this happen in the USA? (If this has happened multiple times, then pick one verbal and one physical action that stands out to you the most)

May the hair on your feet never fall out!

Last edited by SamwiseLover2008 : 04-24-2004 at 09:03 AM.
SamwiseLover2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Re: Please reply

Name: chrys
Religion: buddhism
Where you live: sedgmoor, UK
What turns you off (makes you not interested) when you hear the word Christian, see a Bible est.?

any one that can call themself a religion, and yet does not act it, i.e. someone says they go to church every week, therefore they are a christian.

natural to me

If you are out of your parents house, then did you grow up in a Christian home? If you are not out of your parents house, then are you growing up in a Christian home?

i live with my parents, they are atheists

If you answered no to either of the questions above, then did you grow up ever going to church? If so, how often? If you grew up in a family with different religious beliefs, then what were they, and do you believe in them to this day?

i have never been in a church, save for a few eddings of christian friends/relations

n/a

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it?

not heard of any of that

Are there any movies, plays, books, est. that have interested you into further research and possibly attending church? If so then what? Why?

n/a

Out of ten, rate the chances of you becoming a Christian or faithfully attending a Christian church weekly, one being the lowest, and ten being the highest, any time in the rest of your life.
Why?

0, i am a happy buddhist, and true to my beliefs
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Mercutio

I pm'ed you my answers.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

Name: Ruinel
Religion: atheist
Where you live: here, in my home
Nothing.

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity? Because I chose truth over fiction.

Yes, I grew up in a Christian home. I do not live in my parents' house.

not applicable

nothing. I've learned about the Christian culture throughout my life. I now spend my time learning more important things.

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it? No. I never saw The Passion of the Christ, nor The Jesus Video... or any others that you've listed here.

I have seen Jesus Christ Superstar, does that count? Ok, seriously, I've seen quite a lot of Christian religious movies (most of them rather old). None of them had any effect on me at all.

Are there any movies, plays, books, est. that have interested you into further research and possibly attending church? If so then what? Why? No.

Why?

zero. Because, again, I choose truth over fiction.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Soo....Atheism is a religion! I knew it! .... ....*zips mouth and slap self on head*
I think that perhaps Samwiselovr should have used the word Beliefs

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 04-23-2004 at 11:56 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Soo....Atheism is a religion! I knew it! .... ....*zips mouth and slap self on head*
I think that perhaps Samwiselovr should have used the word Beliefs
I agree, he/she should have used the word "beliefs". But I understood him/her to have meant that.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #7
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseLover2008
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on lately, I've been bussy and life has been calling me off....

I was wondering if you could please answer a few survey questions for me. I nead this for school, and if you would answer then I'll love you forever. And besides, if you don't, then an orc or cave troll might come get you . Thanks a lot!!! (Note: there are seprate questions for Christians and non-Christians, please select the correct ones):
Name:GM (actual initials- you guess!)
Religion:None
Where you live:Taiwan

Nothing- have many Christian friends, always enjoy a good discussion, think the Bible is a wonderful piece of literature.

Lack of evidence for Christianity (I'm an atheist, but not dogmatic )

Father agnostic, Mother C of E (as in Christmas and Easter, the only time most Anglicans go to Church); regularly attended Sunday School. Baptised and Confirmed.

n/a

What would make you interested in learning more about Christianity? Always interested in learning more about religious beliefs (except Bahai- boring!)

'Last Temptation of Christ'- thought about the ascetic elements in Christianity, as opposed to the Jewish ideal of embracing life/sex/children.
'Life of Brian' - intolerance, both religious and political.
"The Passion' hasn't opened here yet, but plan on seeing it

No

Why?
One- don't think there's any evidence likely to turn up.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Have you ever bean physically or verbally persecuted for your religious beliefs? If so, how, and why do you think it happened? Did this happen in the USA? (If this has happened multiple times, then pick one verbal and one physical action that stands out to you the most)

Hey, how come you didn't ask this question of non-Christians?

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots"- George H. W. Bush

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 04-24-2004 at 10:36 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:58 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Name: Anna
Religion: None. I am an atheist.
Where you live: Why? Who's asking? I'm not telling you where I hide my pants collection.... Oh, okay, New Zealand. ::sheepish:::
What turns you off (makes you not interested) when you hear the word Christian, see a Bible est.? Prejudice, hatred, etc. Yesterday I was walking down Queen St, and someone handed me a pamphlet that said, "Jesus hates you".

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity? N/A.

If you are out of your parents house, then did you grow up in a Christian home? Yes, and no. My parents were both atheists who became born-againers when I was in my pre-teens. However, my father is deeply suspicious of christian sects (particularly catholicism), and they don't go to church. My mother subscribes to Benny Hinn ( ), and my dad subscribes to various christian lit., one of which I remember claimed that Germans were going to cause World War III, and that they were all evil.

If you answered no to either of the questions above, then did you grow up ever going to church? If so, how often?

My father has always spurned going to church (see above suspicions regarding christian sects), but my mother did make me attend church (every week) for about a year.

The BF's family were/are buddhist, and he has a buddhist name, and visited several temples in Nepal, but he is no longer a currently practicing buddhist.

What would make you interested in learning more about Christianity? Not terribly interested in christianity. I would like to read the old testament sometime, and investigate more with regards to both Judaism and islam though.

I saw the passion of christ recently. It was pretty mind-blowing. The mythology of christ is pretty powerful. However, as far as I'm concerned, there isn't enough compelling evidence that he even existed, and there are several other mythologies that can be said to have been direct influences over the christ myth - mostly pagan.

I read the Da Vinci Code recently, which was pretty interesting. Raised some interesting points regarding Mary Magdalene, rites of fertility, the Jesus Myth, and so forth. Not interested in attending church (again) though.

Why?

1. Not bloody likely. I prefer fact over myth.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Name: John
Religion: None
Where you live: Cape Town, South Africa

What turns you off (makes you not interested) when you hear the word Christian, see a Bible est.? Nothing

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity? N/a

If you are out of your parents house, then did you grow up in a Christian home? Yes, and went to church weekly before my Confirmation in '96.

What would make you interested in learning more about Christianity? Nothing whatsoever at the moment.

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it? I haven't seen any of those films.

Are there any movies, plays, books, est. that have interested you into further research and possibly attending church? If so then what? Why? No.

Why? 4. I have no idea what to expect of the future.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Might as well...

Name: HT (I'll do as the Mouser and give the initials)
Religion: Agnostism (closer to Atheism than Christianity)
Where you live: Norway
Christians. Just kidding of course. Nothing, really. Even started reading the Bible. Just can't really take any of it as facts.

Nope. My parents aren't very fond of Christianity, or religion at large for that matter.

We were forced to attend church by the school before every important holidays (Easter, the summer holidays and Christmas). And of course there was the occational Confirmation, Baptism or marriage (have a few Christians in the family).

Am already pretty interested in learning more about Christianity. Just not believing in it

Haven't seen any of those (though planning to see Passion of Christ, sooner or later). Seen Life of Brian, if that's any help.

None that I can think of right now...

Why?
3 or 4, perhaps. Proof would be nice, or a miracule. And that may very well happen.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #11
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Name: Oz
Religion: N/A
Where you live: United Kingdom
What turns you off (makes you not interested) when you hear the word Christian, see a Bible est.? Nothing.

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity?: Christianity is a very spitefull religion

If you are out of your parents house, then did you grow up in a Christian home? If you are not out of your parents house, then are you growing up in a Christian home?: I grew up in a house where my mum is a methodist and dad follows a pagan religion

If you answered no to either of the questions above, then did you grow up ever going to church? If so, how often? If you grew up in a family with different religious beliefs, then what were they, and do you believe in them to this day? Attended church weekly until my mid teens. Didn't assimilate my parents beliefs.

What would make you interested in learning more about Christianity?: Dunno......the Second Coming might make me raise an eyebrow for a while.

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it?: Ain't seen it.......if I wanna watch a movie about someone gettin' nailed.....I prefer more jolly subject matter.

Are there any movies, plays, books, est. that have interested you into further research and possibly attending church? If so then what? Why?: No. Read the bible quite few times, found it mostly to be self-contradictory. The Sound of Music prolly scared me off christianity for life

Why?: One.
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:47 AM   #12
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Re: Re: Please reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Name: Ruinel
Religion: atheist
Where you live: here, in my home
Nothing.

If you have, why have you chosen a different religion over Christianity? Because I chose truth over fiction.

Yes, I grew up in a Christian home. I do not live in my parents' house.

not applicable

nothing. I've learned about the Christian culture throughout my life. I now spend my time learning more important things.

Did The Passion of the Christ, The Jesus Video, The Jesus Video for Children, or any other video that you might have seen have any effect on you? If so, what was it? No. I never saw The Passion of the Christ, nor The Jesus Video... or any others that you've listed here.

I have seen Jesus Christ Superstar, does that count? Ok, seriously, I've seen quite a lot of Christian religious movies (most of them rather old). None of them had any effect on me at all.

Why?

zero. Because, again, I choose truth over fiction.

My answers exactly...

Thanks Ruin!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #13
SamwiseLover2008
Sapling

*Scrambles up to first post to change religion to religion/beliefs*

Thank you for replying. Keep them coming!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:15 AM   #14
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Haven't seen any of those (though planning to see Passion of Christ, sooner or later). Seen Life of Brian, if that's any help.
i have seen life of brian, and i have seen holy grail, and meaning of life, and nearly every episode of monty python
does that make me an expert on pythonialism
(new religion i just made up)
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #15
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Now that I think of it, I think I once saw half of a movie about Moses (ooold) on a gathering of Christian teens (don't ask, can't remember why ). Been a while since though, and can't say it had much of an effect.

And pythonism rocks.

Last edited by Falagar : 04-24-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Name: Jason
Religion/beliefs: none/none
Where you live: Kansas, USA

I am not "turned off" by a word or a book. I simply use my ability to think for myself, which makes all forms of religion and belief irrelevant.

I adhere to no religion or belief system.

That depends on what is meant by "Christian home;" my parents are both Christians, so in that sense, yes. If you mean that my parents refused to allow any thought or deed independent of Christianity to exist within the home, then no.

I am out of my parents' home, btw.

I went to a Presbytarian church until the age of 10 or 11, but I always had "questions" and was discouraged from attending Sunday school. I think I went weekly until I stopped going, more or less.

By "different religious beliefs," do you mean different from Christianity, different from each other, or different from mine? Like I said earlier, my parents are now Episcopalian (my dad never went to church when I was a kid, and my mom changed denominations shortly after I was booted from church). My brother has never been religious, and I obviously am not.

I am certainly "interested" in Christianity, as I am all other religions, but only so far as their historical, cultural, and political significance is concerned. I have no desire or wish to join any flock.

I have not seen any of those, and I would feel sorry for someone standing on enough shaky spiritual ground that a movie or video would radically impact their beliefs in any way.

No. Most religious media peddle fear and guilt. See my above answer.

Why?

1. Many I know who faithfully attend church are far from faithful Christians. If I ever wanted to be a truly faithful Christian, the last thing I would do is attend a church.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Name: Dustin
Religion/beliefs: agnostic
Where you live: Pa, USA

I don't need someone to tell me how I should live my life and how I should act.

N/A

Unfortunately, since I'm still in high school, I live in a Roman Catholic household. My parents still make me go to Chruch even tho I told them I'm agnostic.

N/A

Nothing, I've spent the least 12 years of school attending Catholic school.

No to both, but I have seen Jesus movies before, with no impact on me.

None

Why?

I'd say 4 because at the point in my life right now religion isn't a big part of my life, maybe that will change as I get older?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

I was just going to PM this, but I saw that Christians were grossly underrepresented in the thread.

Survey Question for Christians
Name: Kristen
Age that you became a Christian: 21
Country and/or state/ general area- Florida
What/who lead you to Christ? Several factors: all of my life experiences, combined with a close friend becoming a Christian (I did not convert because of him, but during debates with him and another friend who was Wiccan I learned a lot; also this friend gave me a Bible to read, as well as a book with answers to common questions asked about Christianity, written for teens and young adults), my reading of the book The Robe, and God working through events in my life so that I could hear him speaking to me, not in words, but in my heart.

Did you grow up in a Christian church? No. We did attend a Unitarian church briefly when I was in elementary school (mostly at Christmas and Easter). No church besides that until I became a Christian.

Did you grow up in a Christian family? No. My father believes in a higher power of some kind, but it isn’t God. My mother says she believes in Jesus, but she also practices astrology and reads Tarot cards, has not regularly attended church since childhood, and holds some political views that counter Christian beliefs (i.e., pro-choice beyond medical reasons).

Do you still attend Church faithfully to this day? I now attend church faithfully. I am a Protestant (currently belong to a Methodist church, but whenever I move to a new town, I don’t select a church based on the denomination. I first joined a church that was a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which is an old denomination, but not as widespread as others, so although I prefer their doctrine, there usually isn’t a Disciples church located near me, and since I like to be active in my church, I like to find one close to home. When I lived in NC, I belonged to a Presbyterian (USA) church).

What do you think turns people off from Christianity? “In your face” evangelism, those who try to force people to hear them or try to trick people into hearing them, those who use scare tactics to try to frighten people into Christianity, hypocrisy shown by Christians both in the public eye and in one’s private relationships, and people who act “holier-than-thou” – people who act as if they are “better” than or “above” everyone else because they are Christians. Basically, Christians acting in a non-Christian way due to misguided teaching or lack of knowledge. Also, belief in another faith, or deeply held beliefs that contradict Christian teachings turns people away from Christianity.

How should we (as Christians) best approach sharing the Gospel? By acting in a way that shows we are Christians (i.e., avoiding sin, even in stressful situations, and always acting out of a desire to do His will); by letting God work through us in our personal relationships; by being faithful ourselves and praying that He will help us to say what people need to hear at the right time to encourage them to seek Him; by speaking to others about Him and our faith; by living our lives with joy because He is with us; by being in relationship with Him so that our children might also know Him; by seeking always to learn more about Him, His Word, and His will so that we might be closer to Him, and that through that knowledge we might be better equipped to teach others; and by volunteering through our church to work with others through different ministries (teaching Sunday school, becoming a lay minister or Youth group leader, etc.).

Do you believe in the age of accountability? Can you tell me why or why not? Are there any references in the Bible to this? How old is a person when they reach the age of accountability? If the age varies, then at what point dose a child become responsible for his/her sins? Yes, to put it briefly (this is a major discussion in itself), because I believe that God brings babies and young children to Heaven when they die, since they haven’t had time to learn how to live on this Earth and at the same time be in a relationship with God.
Don’t have any Bible references, but Jesus did use the comparison that in becoming a Christian, one must become like a young child. To me that conveys that children are receiving God’s blessings by virtue of their nature and their youth.
The age of accountability is usually said to be around age 6-8, which I agree with, depending on the child. It is only God who truly knows each person’s age of accountability, because as each person learns to walk and speak at a different age, so too do they reach that point where they become aware and have an understanding of themselves as human beings. Until then, they have not reached a point where they can begin to understand their relationship with God. Thus, the point at which a person becomes responsible for his/her sins is different for each child, and is only known to God and the child, although the child may not have a full understanding of what has happened at that point (he doesn’t suddenly say “I have reached the age of accountability -- I am now responsible for my sins!”).

Is the King James Version the only correct version of the Bible? Do you think that this has any effects on people becoming Christians or not? Why is the King James version the only correct one? No. In fact, I think certain later translations are probably more accurate, as scholars have since had the resources to better study the ancient languages, and have translated words and phrases into English terms that are closer to what was said or intended. Also, the language in later versions is closer to how English is spoken today, so people may more easily understand the text.
I don’t think it has an effect on people becoming Christians, though. People who are seeking God will find Him.

Should the Gospel be shared with children, adults, teenagers, or who? Why? I believe God’s Word is suitable material for people of all ages.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

continued

Have you ever bean physically or verbally persecuted for your religious beliefs? If so, how, and why do you think it happened? Did this happen in the USA? (If this has happened multiple times, then pick one verbal and one physical action that stands out to you the most) No, not personally, but being in a family of non-Christians is difficult (I am the only Christian in my family, besides my paternal grandparents, who only became faithful in the past several years (although they were brought up as Christians.) I come from a very liberal family from way back on both sides, except for my maternal grandmother’s family, to whom my family isn’t close (second cousins only, who live far away). Being in a family of non-Christians is difficult because I have to defend my actions on occasion, although they don’t mind it for the most part, and are generally supportive. It is mainly just uncomfortable, and I can handle that. I do struggle with whether to keep my mouth shut about certain behaviors (or even statements) of theirs with which I don’t agree, or see as destructive, just things of that nature.
Not having been raised a Christian has made practicing my faith more difficult in some ways. But I think the way I grew up does give me an advantage, in that I understand the thinking of people without faith in a way many who were brought up as devout Christians do not. Perhaps it gives me an advantage in relating to those people about faith.
Back on the subject, I have been witness to verbal ridicule because of Christian belief (as well as seeing it on this board occasionally). I think this happens because of ignorance about Christianity, and because people don’t allow themselves to try to have a relationship with God, or even seek to know what that means. Sometimes people flat out refuse Him, because of past hurts and bitterness over past experiences.

Hope this answers all of the questions sufficiently, although as usual with me, it's probably TMI.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #20
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah. This aint a chit chat thread... Spank away.