Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

What Are Your Hobbies?

I'm curious to know! What do other 'mooters do in their spare time?

I write, play the piano, listen to new artists and try analyze their voices, surf the net, and spend lots of time with my needy dog .

Last edited by Tessar : 07-18-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

I like to cook, clean, (yes, clean) sew, crochet, read palms and tarot, go out on the motorcycle, spend a lot of time with my needy pets, my ducks and cat, I also like to paint and draw, do tattoos, (which I havent done in far to long) listen to a lot of metal music, and take photographs.
I used to watch movies all the time, but not so much nowadays.
I would like to do more things but havent the time.
(like play guitar more! Amongst other things.)

Whoo-hoo! 1st reply!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I read, right now primarily Gene Wolfe, Shusaku Endo, and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I listen to music, especially Edith Piaf and Alessandro Moreschi.

I watch film, having a penchant for arthouse, independent, and foreign film, but also enjoying more mainstream media.

I drink tea, and smoke cigarettes and pipe.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ooooh, you do tattoos, Missy C.? Tell us moooooore. Inquiring minds want to know. >.>

And Gwai--what kinds of tea do you like? I personally love herbal teas, and some of the breakfast teas, but those I drink with milk.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Ehm. I used to smoke ciggarettes. I cant stand even the smell anymore. It is a terrible pastime!

Yeah, tattoos are fun! I did my first one on myself
Some coverups and some my own artwork. Its something I would like to get into more often, its a nice way of expression, for both people!

Im slowly designing my next one, because its going to be massive... Ouch
Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I collect coke bottles. Not in a serious way. Just a fun thing. I have many different designs from the past several years (probably nothing older than 2002) I also have a bottle from Israel and Great Britain. Completely worthless, but fun. :P

I used to collect coins - not so much anymore, but I have a nice collection from years ago. I still collect the state quarters and now I'm doing the president dollars.

I enjoy movies and TV. Used to be a musician, but I haven't played in over a year.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Mari
Elf Lady

I like to sing and read (which I haven't been able to do for far to long) and my friend is teaching me to play piano.
I hang out with my friends A LOT and I love to play sports allthough I don't really have much time for it. (but I will do it once I come back I swear! )
Sometimes I feel the need to write, but my stories are usually very very bad, so I quit halfway through. I do write a lot of letters though. I'm very good in writing pages long about nothing and make it sound interesting. Comes in handy when you have to write essays
Back home I collect videos but not in a very serious way. The fun is in buying a good video for €2,- or less.
I can't wait to start inline skating again! I had to miss that for 1 year as well!
Oh and I like cooking for friends.
Actually, I like too many things...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Ooooh, you do tattoos, Missy C.? Tell us moooooore. Inquiring minds want to know. >.>

And Gwai--what kinds of tea do you like? I personally love herbal teas, and some of the breakfast teas, but those I drink with milk.
I tend to like flavoured black teas, like Earl Grey, and even more Lady Grey, and I love anything with Jasmine (and not just tea!). I do like some herbal teas, being quite partial to camomile, especially just before bed. I don't tend to like green teas that one can buy in supermarkets, but my college room-mate is something of a Orientophile, and his girlfriend is even more of one, and when they go to Chinese markets, they get some green teas that I really like.

I don't care for the smell of most cigarettes either, Cass. I only buy premium ones that actually taste and smell good. Camel filters and the like literally make me gag. I don't smoke very much, rarely more than four a day.

I also like to clean, by the way; didn't mention that, but I love to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon tidying up my room. I also like to go hiking, and to soak in natural hot springs.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 07-20-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I don't care for the smell of most cigarettes either, Cass. I only buy premium ones that actually taste and smell good. Camel filters and the like literally make me gag. I don't smoke very much, rarely more than four a day.

I also like to clean, by the way; didn't mention that, but I love to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon tidying up my room. I also like to go hiking, and to soak in natural hot springs.
I used to buy Djarums, I think thats the correct spelling, they come in clove and vanilla. (maybe others too, but those are the only two I have tried.)
I really liked them. The blacks are rolled in black papers. They look and taste pretty unique. Here is their website, all about how they are made and what goes in them.

Djarum Website

As for regular cigarrettes, I hate the smell. What types of premium cigs to you like? I really do enjoy cleaning, my house was such a mess when I first moved in (thanks to the previous renters...) and I spent a whole week tidying up! It was terrible. The yard work still has to be done. I didnt mind though, I have always been particular about my surroundings. Sometimes I think its a mild form of OCD, I clean everyday.
thats a big secret most people dont know about me...
Keep it on the DL...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Hard to say...

my income-producing activities and my avocations have substantial overlap. Very Zen.

Still, I grow things, cook things, and make things. And make trouble. As C-3PO says in Star Wars, "Oh, he EXCELS at that, sir!"

Not much into consumer behavior, and no recordable bad habits.

In my "spare time" I moot and moderate another internet board. or two.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cassandra
I used to buy Djarums, I think thats the correct spelling, they come in clove and vanilla. (maybe others too, but those are the only two I have tried.)
I really liked them. The blacks are rolled in black papers. They look and taste pretty unique. Here is their website, all about how they are made and what goes in them.

Djarum Website

As for regular cigarrettes, I hate the smell. What types of premium cigs to you like? I really do enjoy cleaning, my house was such a mess when I first moved in (thanks to the previous renters...) and I spent a whole week tidying up! It was terrible. The yard work still has to be done. I didnt mind though, I have always been particular about my surroundings. Sometimes I think its a mild form of OCD, I clean everyday.
thats a big secret most people dont know about me...
Keep it on the DL...
I like Djarums, the clove cigarettes, but I couldn't smoke a whole pack. When I buy them, I just smoke one in a while as a back-up. My favourite cigarettes are Dunhills (the blue/Superior Mild especially, but also much like the red/regular), and American Spirits, which latter fags have the bonus of being devoid of all chemical additives. The best tasting Spirits, the ones in the red pack, even have organic tobacco. It's good stuff. B)

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I like Djarums, the clove cigarettes, but I couldn't smoke a whole pack. When I buy them, I just smoke one in a while as a back-up. My favourite cigarettes are Dunhills (the blue/Superior Mild especially, but also much like the red/regular), and American Spirits, which latter fags have the bonus of being devoid of all chemical additives. The best tasting Spirits, the ones in the red pack, even have organic tobacco. It's good stuff. B)
It's nicotine. Seductive. Trust it not.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem

I don't trust it very far. I'm careful to use it in moderation. Smoking two to four cigarettes a day is unlikely to cause serious complications. It's possible, of course, but highly unlikely, and I'm willing to take that risk. I'm quite aware.

What I don't get is people who smoke solely for the sake of the nicotine, that is, people who smoke disgusting cigarettes, because they are cheaper. I would never do that. I smoke because it is a pleasurable experience, and because it tastes good. All of this, of course, presumes high-quality ciggies, so in their absence, I basically don't smoke. I've bummed a Camel light from people when I've been out drinking two or three times, sure, but other than that, I can't stomach (or lung ) anything but good tobacco.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

I hear that. It is very addictive as we all know. But if you can keep it in good moderation, enjoy the pleasures of fine tobacco.
I used to be quite the hookah smoker as well, I like the flavored tastes. It is a relaxing experience.

Like it for what it is. Use sparingly, and enjoy it.
Most importantly, Control yourselves!
(Weve all heard the line: 'I can stop whenever I want to')

I think we all know the effects of 'cheap' cigarettes.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I don't trust it very far. I'm careful to use it in moderation. Smoking two to four cigarettes a day is unlikely to cause serious complications. It's possible, of course, but highly unlikely, and I'm willing to take that risk. I'm quite aware.

What I don't get is people who smoke solely for the sake of the nicotine, that is, people who smoke disgusting cigarettes, because they are cheaper. I would never do that. I smoke because it is a pleasurable experience, and because it tastes good. All of this, of course, presumes high-quality ciggies, so in their absence, I basically don't smoke. I've bummed a Camel light from people when I've been out drinking two or three times, sure, but other than that, I can't stomach (or lung ) anything but good tobacco.
You're living in a fool's paradise.
There is actually no good reason for a healthy young person to take up smoking, any more than there's a good reason for them to start any other psychotropic and addictive behavior. If you already have an elaborate rationalle to defend it, you're just demonstrating that basic irrationality that addiction fosters.
Just as a review, here's a couple of nice pictures of some of the brain chemical research going on. http://whyfiles.org/024nicotine/brainscan.html

You're messing with your brain. Everything else, too, of course. You may have some notion that regular cells are replaceable, that "low dosages" of the thousands of chemicals in tobacco smoke won't hurt you, or that you're immortal. That's cute, when we're talking about downhill skiing, or other temporary risks. It's just dumb, as regards developing patterns of stress management with your basic brain chemistry.

On behalf of the many young people on this board, and the people who love them, I have to point this out. I'll add your smoking to my prayer list.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cassandra
I hear that. It is very addictive as we all know. But if you can keep it in good moderation, enjoy the pleasures of fine tobacco.
I used to be quite the hookah smoker as well, I like the flavored tastes. It is a relaxing experience.
The hookah is spectacular; I have one, but she's kind of running down, and I'm going to get a new one.

Quote:
If you already have an elaborate rationalle to defend it, you're just demonstrating that basic irrationality that addiction fosters.
In saying this, you have just said, "I don't have to listen to anything you say", and thereby have destroyed any possibility of rational discussion. There's nothing I can say in reply to that, except for these experiential evidences:

1) I gave up smoking for Lent; 40 days without is not exactly something an addict could do.

2) Over the past week, I've been only smoking one cigarette a day. Again, not something I think an addict does.

3) I'm planning on give up smoking for Advent this year. I do from time to time give it up for a set period of time, just to prove that I can, and that I am the master of tobacco, rather than tobacco mastering me; I very much dislike people telling me, "You're an addict", so when they do, I disprove with something like this. Lent and Advent provide fine opportunities for such a thing, and I will make good use of them.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I take you at your word when you say you aren't addicted. But even non-smokers have increased risk of lung cancer because of being around smokers. If even non-smokers get damaged health from other people's smoking, then whether one smokes moderately or passionately, I think one is still going to be harmed by it. And you smoke regularly, even if a lot less than addicts do. It is dangerous . I really, really wish you wouldn't.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem

I know of studies that show that people who smoke a pipe in moderation in fact live longer than those who don't; I would imagine it would be the same for cigarettes, since both are tobacco. It's possible that it will give me problems, I don't deny that, but it's rather unlikely. And it's people who are around heavy smokers a lot you are thinking of, and thus who get a lot of second-hand smoke.

P. S. Sis: A lot of the cigarettes I smoke are American Spirits, a brand which has no additives, and just pure tobacco, so the chemicals you mentioned are not too much of a factor.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 07-30-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #19
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Reading, the beach, endlessly trivialising over politics.

Of late I've returned to a past love, Alternative History, with a vengeance. The Worlds of What If....Currently spending a lot of time poring over the routes of the Spanish treasure fleet from Mexico to the Phillipines, Koxinga's victory over the Dutch in Taiwan, Napoleon's attempt against Toussaint Louverture, and the clashes between the Hudson's Bay Company and the NorthWest Company's voyageurs in Rupert's Land.

It's all starting to come together and the connecting point is ...sea otters.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #20
katya
Elven Maiden

Sea otters??? lol For serious?

I like to draw, write, read. In cycles. Reading constantly now. Oh, and video games of course. That's more of a lifestyle than a hobby, haha. That and trying to become l33t and mostly failing horribly.

I like to get out and do something active, which I'm trying to make into a habit. Biking, swimming, also yoga. And DDR! I'm addicted, beyond hope of rescue, to Dance Dance Revolution. I've gone from absolute beginner to Heavy or Challenge mode in about half a year- I can beat pretty much anything that isn't ridiculously insanely difficult now.

I find the experience of smoking to be quite pleasant. I wouldn't even say I'm a smoker- I smoke less than a cigarette a month, generally. Except earlier this month I had two in a row, but that was in the midst of drinking a liter of wine (and more) by myself, which, especially with my incredibly low tolerance, was a terrible, terrible idea. I made a rule for myself in the beginning- to never seek out cigarettes, and accept them only when offered to me without my saying anything, and only if i really felt like it. It's worked thus far.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote