Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Boy Scouts

Hey, I just got back from our Klondike Derby with Boy Scouts. I am super sore and tired. I was wondering if anyone else here is a scout? I am almost Eagle.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:53 PM   #2
Arian
Elven Warrior

Wow, that's great. No I'm not into scouting. But it sounds fun. And painful.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:17 PM   #3
Nibs
Head Hollara

Yes, I got my Eagle last December... scouting was a lot of fun and, yes, painful at times. However, I remember one hike where I was the only one that didn't get pricked by a cactus... ah, so many stories. Just like that one day I woke up and saw some one's underwear on the flagpole and every one was laughing. I laughed too and asked whose it was. "It's yours" was the reply. I looked back up there and didn't think it was as funny any more.

By the way, what's a klondike derby? I did my scouting in Southern Caifornia, so we had little to do with snow, which such a derby involves, I assume.

While we're on the subject, I earned the Cycling merit badge. That's one of the few I'm really proud of, because you have to work for it. Six 25-mile rides and a 50-miler, and a sore butt every time... except for the 50-miler, where it was just plain raw afterwards.

Sorry if you cringed at that last one... I could go on, but I won't.

I can't get my finger out of my nose!!!

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
emplynx

At our local BSA camp, we have fall, winter, and spring camporees. The Klondike is our winter camporee. The highlight is a sled race, but it is usually in the 40s or 50s... Today it was lightly snowing, but we never sled across snow. We had a bunch of other events though.

PS Nibs, what was you Eagle project?
Old 02-24-2002, 04:09 PM   #5
Nibs
Head Hollara

I built twelve wooden benches for a local community farm. I had the assembly portion of the project done between two days and the first day about twenty-five people showed up. The next day, about four did. We did jus great, though... finished up on time and delivered them the next week. No splinters, even. Amazing.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:18 PM   #6
emplynx

I am considering building a playground at my church. I don't know yet. I need to get my Personal Fitness merit badge though.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:31 PM   #7
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i was a girl scout for a looong time.
that was fun..

hmm
why'd i ever quit?!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
emplynx

Since we were talking about Boy Scouts in another thread, I though I would bring this up again.
I almost have my Personal Fitness merit badge (the last I need for Eagle.) Now I need an eagle project... hmmmmmm.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:39 PM   #9
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I guess I was different - I went for the Indian thing. It was similar to the Boy Scouts - but Indian related obviously.

My father claims that I thought it was stupid - but I think he was the one that thought it was stupid. I still remember making the little head dresses and things. I was about 6 or 8 years old. All I know - one minute I was in the next it seemed like we just stopped going.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:52 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, I did the whole pippins, brownies thing. At least until I got sick of making christmas cards and decorations... I was always wildly jealous of my little brother, cos he was always doing more exciting things than me.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I was in girl scouts when I was a lot younger--er, brownies, anyway. We never did anything interesting

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:04 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
We never did anything interesting
Neither did we. We went on camp once. We stayed at this big dormitory thing in bunks and stuff. And made flowers out of wire and pantyhose. No camping out in tents under the stars, and canoing, and abseiling for us girly girls.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:10 PM   #13
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Neither did we. We went on camp once. We stayed at this big dormitory thing in bunks and stuff. And made flowers out of wire and pantyhose. No camping out in tents under the stars, and canoing, and abseiling for us girly girls.
We didn't even go anywhere! The farthest we went was to visit the police station. . .for educational purposes

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Why don't you guys start up a more progressive girls camping organization. I mean this is the 21st century now - it seems a bit ridiculous to have girls just doing flower arrangements and learning how to put on makeup.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:22 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

We didn't even go anywhere! The farthest we went was to visit the police station. . .for educational purposes
Well, our first Brownie leader was quite cool as far as they go, and she was the one who organised the camping trip. It was the second one who made us make cards and decorations week in week out in a stuffy classroom. We didn't even get to play "stuck in the mud" anymore.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey Devil
...and learning how to put on makeup.
I wish! That would have been quite exciting!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:28 PM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Why don't you guys start up a more progressive girls camping organization. I mean this is the 21st century now - it seems a bit ridiculous to have girls just doing flower arrangements and learning how to put on makeup.
I think Girl Scouts is a little better now, and I quit when I was about six, and in Brownies. I think I read an article last year about how it was much improved now. Not that I did it all that long ago...what, twelve years...

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:33 PM   #17
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

girl scouts was too rigid for me, it's like you have to do this, make everyone happy, be a good aritist, nice slave, make your colourful cards for the blind!

sice the last time i posted here, ive realised why GS isn't fun.
1) im lazy
2)they still do girly stuff like sitting a nd making cards (colourful ones for blind people)
3)people were mean
4) no camping.. unless it was in a heated "house" with bathroom facilities.
you know how mad #4 gets me?
grrr.
why is it called camping? who calls sleeping on matresses in a heated house, with plumbing roughing it (well there was only one bathroom and 12 girls, but still!)

we should start a young kids club, not just girls club.. it's be great. camping (real camping) and fun stuff, but we could throw in educational things too, (like making colourful cards for the blind)

you might have noticed that i keep using 'colourful cards for the blind' in this post, well that's cause we did!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:44 PM   #18
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I was in Girl Scouts from KG through 4th grade. In 4th grade I switched to a new leader, and she was no fun at all. So I quit. Simple as that.

One of my friends made 2 big benches for the flagpole area at my school for his Eagle project. They're nice and sturdy and have little plaques on them with his name and stuff. I like them a lot!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:48 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
you know how mad #4 gets me?
grrr.
why is it called camping? who calls sleeping on matresses in a heated house, with plumbing roughing it (well there was only one bathroom and 12 girls, but still!)
Yeah, refer to my above post. It was exactly the same for us. We even got to drink chocolate milk in the cafetaria! Yeah, we was so roughing it!

Oh, and I think we made colourful cards for the blind as well! They can't see them!!
Old 06-14-2002, 11:30 PM   #20
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Oh, and I think we made colourful cards for the blind as well! They can't see them!!
ROFLMAO!

It used to be a required subject in the 1st 2 yrs of high school where I come from. After our batch, they sacked it.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 06-15-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote