Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Martial Arts Weapons.

Anyone do 'em? I do Sai Swords, Nunchukus, and Throwing Knives. I'm about to get into the Bo Staff and Shuriken(Throwing Stars). I'm a Green Belt w/ a Blue Stripe. Testing for my Blue in 1 month. Oh ya, my style is Shorin Ryu.
E
Old 03-30-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Wow, you've got three of the four Ninja Turtles covered already.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:37 PM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

wow thats confusing. but i used to do martial arts when i was younger but not like that
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:47 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

We have a tread here

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...t=martial+arts

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

a tread?

A.E. is dizzy from being hit with by too many kendo blows.

Shuriken have been practiced in my arts for centuries. Nunchucks are Okinowan based but I've tried them and only got a mild concusion.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

The worst I've gotten is a couple of bruised knuckles and a lump on my elbow that stood out half an inch. What hurt worse was when I dropped both Sai Swords on both feet at the same time, trying to do a very hard move I wasn't ready to do yet. Ambitious, that's me!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sai are very difficult to master. Taddashi ? is a master at them and appeared in an early Chuck Norris movie where he did a kata with them. Most impressive. However, there aren't many current applications for useage so the practice isn't as wide spread.....good luck on yours.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:42 AM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Taddashi ? is a master at them and appeared in an early Chuck Norris
Do you mean Tadashi Yamashita ( Didn't know you were on a first name basis with him)

The Octagon was the name of the movie.

Here is some info on him:

Tadashi Yamashita was born in Japan in 1942, but he considers himself an Okinawan. His father died when he was three, and his mother moved to Okinawa when Tadashi was eight years old. He lived in Okinawa until, at the age of 24, he came to the U.S.A. where he became a citizen. Sensei Yamashita's experience of more than 4 decades in the martial arts began at age 11. He was the roughest kid in school, and picked fights with other students, as well as the teachers.

This was brought to the attention of the PTA, which realized they could not handle him. The PTA president, who was also a karate instructor, stopped by to pick up Tadashi after school. Always the warrior, Tadashi tried to fight him. The instructor grabbed the rebellious youngster and dragged him off to the dojo where he was taught the elements of kicking, punching, and, most important of all, discipline. Tadashi found his probation period very interesting. His destructive energy was channeled into a hidden talent. The young man had found an art form, a religion, and a way of life. Sensei was awarded his black belt at the age of 16, in 1960.

He captured the All-Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Free Sparring Grand Championship Title. In 1968, he visited Japan and tested before his Sensei, Shugoro Nakazato, 9th Degree Black Belt. Also on the panel was the famous Grand Master Chosin Chibana, 10th Degree Black Belt. Sensei Yamashita became the youngest 7th Degree in the history of Japan. Sensei Yamashita moved to California in 1972 where many top artists, such as Mike Stone and Ed Parker noticed his talent and skill. The Pro-Am Tournament
in Los Angeles in 1973 was the first of many in which he would demonstrate that talent. He brought 7,000 spectators to their feet for a standing ovation and from that moment on the magic of his karate weapons genius spread throughout the martial arts world. Sensei Yamashita is also known for teaching the late Bruce Lee the use of the nunchucku. Sensei is the foremost Karate and Kobudo expert in the United States today and the Head Instructor of Shorin Ryu in the United States. Sensei Yamashita has made many movies over the past 20 years. His first was "The Karate" in 1973. He then went on to do The Octagon, The Shinobi Ninja, American Ninja, and The Sword of Heaven and has appeared in and choreographed many others. Sensei is planning to publish a series of books on all facets of Martial Arts training, philosophy, and health studies

Spock , a non sequitor, who would you pick between only these two choices :Kirk or Picard?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, that's him. Only over soba otherwise Yamashita Sensei.

Kirk.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:37 AM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I fight with Kendo.
Also I would really like to obtain a pair of tantos somehow and school myself in them.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Re: Martial Arts Weapons.

Quote:
Originally posted by Estel13
Anyone do 'em? I do Sai Swords, Nunchukus, and Throwing Knives. I'm about to get into the Bo Staff and Shuriken(Throwing Stars). I'm a Green Belt w/ a Blue Stripe. Testing for my Blue in 1 month. Oh ya, my style is Shorin Ryu.
E

cool. maybe i'll hire you someday as a hitman or a body guard.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

afro-elf: thanx for the info, it was an interesting read.
spock: i'd choose kirk too. picard pays too much attention to the prime directive.
congressmn: thanx! though you might be interested to know that i'm a girl. but i can kick @$$ just as good as a boy! lots of guys think i'm cool cus i like this stuff.
anglorfin: what are tantos?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:48 AM   #13
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Estel13

anglorfin: what are tantos?
Knives about the size of daggers. (or typically as long as ure elbow to your fingertips) They are single edged because much of the fighting style incorporates defense moves where the wrists are turned in and the blades are pressed against the forearms.

An even easier explanation, if you've ever played Tenchu, the chik carries them.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 01:49 AM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

<-- A ninja! Hiyaaa!

Um, I like daos and staffs. And also benches, although they aren't really conventional. I'm going to start taking karate any time now.