Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2002, 08:50 AM   #1
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Home theater

This is the thread in which we spew forth the specs/config of our home theaters. By "home theater" I refer to the equipment that we are using to experience the movies, so even if you don't have an AV receiver or six speakers and a sub, you can participate.

I'll start:

Source
HTPC (home theater PC), comprised of:
  • Samsung 16X DVD-rom
  • GeForce 4 display card
  • Onboard sound
The picture is sent direct to the TV via a standard cheapo S-video cable. Since I'm using an HTPC, it is a progressive scan signal. The audio is sent through a stereo-minijack/RCA crossover cable.

Display
Sony WEGA 29", main features being:
  • Progressive scan display
  • Pseudo high-definition clarity (Internal line doubler increases standard PAL resolution from 720x625 to 1440x1250, or, in the case of PAL DVDs, to 1440x1152).
  • It is a 4:3 set, but has a widescreen mode to take advantage of any letterboxed formats stored on the DVD (i.e. 16:9 or 2.35:1 [cinemascope])
Sound
I'm using a rubbish Aiwa mini-hifi, which, according to the manufacturer's specs, puts out 100W RMS per channel (stereo only) -- I think that figure is either a slight bit optimistic, or the THD (total harmonic distortion) is quite high (i.e. unclean power). No sub (AAAARRRRGGG!!!)

I'd rate it as follows:

Picture: 9/10
Sound: 5/10

Picture: I've demo'd a variety of systems, going right up to a R300 000 system ($30000), and I have to admit that I haven't seen any displays with a sharper picture. This probably has to do with the relatively small image size (28") and high resolution. Bear in mind that South Africa has not even started with HDTV yet.

Sound: Well, what can you do with an Aiwa mini-hifi? The system does generally display good dynamics (especially in films such as FotR, Gladiator, etc), but the onboard sound card introduces a terrible hiss. I wouldn't be surprised if the system was putting out around 80-85dB (at the seats), but most of the time I concentrate on the wide sound stages, rather than sound pressure levels.

Sometimes I get to bring home an XGA DLP projector from work, which normally gives me a 100" display. However, since the only usable wall space is in my room, I have to connect rubbish computer speakers to the onboard sound, which pretty much ruins the audio. Oh well.

Okay, now it's your turn. I know that some of you guys have surround kits. Spew forth.

Last edited by Andúril : 11-13-2002 at 08:52 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:05 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Dang it, I wish I actually had my specs with me. My home theatre system is currently three hours south of where I am at the moment...

My PC, however, has built-in harman/kardon speakers (though I plug them into my Altec Lansing externals, with a pretty powerful sub), as well as a 64MB GeForce 4. I have a 24X DVD/CD-RW combo drive, and just watch stuff on my 15" UXGA LCD screen.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 AM   #3
Getchan
Hobbit

I listen to Little Orphan Annie on my great grampa's radio receiver! An' I gots my decoder ring!!