Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Is there any other way?

I'm sorry if this has been done before...

War is a terible thing, people die all over the place, inosent people are killed, and it dosn't seem like a good way to solve a problem. If you can not solve a problem verbally, then is there any other way without a war?

I am not talking about Iraq and America at all, so don't trall of on that thinking that I am protesting against that one war. Nor am I refering to any other war, so ceep your pants on, and joun in.

It seems as if war is the only way sometimes, but there might be some other way just wating to be found, and that's what this thread is for, it is not to say how bad war is, unless you are comparing it to a way that you think would work. I just want some ways that war could be prevented, from one country to another country, or from one siballing to another, or whatever war there can be. I'm not just talking about the kind with guns and stuff like that, all though I am partly.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Well from an historical perspective, no there is no other way. When you get down to worldy politics and decision making, sometimes War is just inevitable. We've seen it time and time again, from Greece, Rome, Dynasties in China, Mongols, even on up to the past few centuries, American Revolution, Civil War, to name a few. It comes down to breaking points, and sometimes there just is no other way to settle disputes or issues. It also doesn't help when something is incited as far as a first shot being fired by mistake and things of that nature. War is just a part of the circle of life and more times than not leads to better things and more peace...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Sometimes war is inevitable. All you have to do is look at World War II. Europe tried appeasing Germany for years - until it was blantantly obvious that no matter how many fellow countries they sacrificed (Austria, Czechloslovakia) and let Hitler conquer - they were going to have to fight Germany.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I went to a lecture given by Rudy Wiebe earlier in the semster, and he tried to tell us that "North Americans just can't wrap their minds around the fact that there was probably another way to deal with Hitler." Not that he had any ideas as to what that alternate route might have been...
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I agree. While I do not think that war is a good thing, I think that all too often it is inevitable; there sometimes just is no other way. There is wrong in the world, and sometimes it has to be stopped with force. Whether it is stopping a burglar trying to break into your house, or someone beating someone else because of their race or religion or something of the like, or whether it's a full-blown war, sometimes violence is the only thing you can resort to. If there is a burglar in your house, he won't just leave if you say, "I don't want you to destroy my home, kill my family, and steal my things." Someone who's beating someone else won't stop if you say, "It's wrong to beat someone because their Black/Jewish etc.". It just does not work.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote