Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Summit

Tommorow morining I am heading down to Dayton, TN for a Christian Worldview conference
Quote:
The Summit helps you equip students to articulate an intelligent, compassionate Christian worldview. AND, it motivates them to lead.
Is anyone familiar with this program? It originated in Colorado with Focus on the Family (I think). Anyway, I'll be down there for two weeks learning about things like, Team Leadership, apologetics , Law & Government, Argument & Debate, Political & Community Action, Journalism, Christianity & Science, and Music. I'll give you all a report when I get back.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

Ah, Focus on the Family, one of the more evil branches of the very evil Christian Right.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
one of the more evil branches of the very evil Christian Right.
FotF (hey, that's almost like FotR!) is a good group.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Can't we just do it the old fashioned way? By ourselves?
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just what we need... more mis-education. Emp, I wouldn't want you to lead a goober out of my nose, let alone some impressionable young minds.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

:o

i'd LOVE to hear about the christianity and science part.

and same for me as BoP..
Old 07-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Just what we need... more mis-education. \
I don't think we need anymore of that, american school's already teach pleanty of evolution... Creationism should be taught too.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Now Emplynx, IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE! Next you'll be telling me, you want to yank science out of the curriculum.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Next you'll be telling me, you want to yank science out of the curriculum.
No, I'm fine if evolution is taught - but since it isn't absolutely proven Creation should be taught equally.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

*bites her lip* No comment!
Old 07-13-2002, 07:38 PM   #11
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

And there are still people around who actually think that earth is flat, so...
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 08:23 PM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
No, I'm fine if evolution is taught - but since it isn't absolutely proven Creation should be taught equally.
Not equally. Evolutionary theory is a scientific one, with some great stories about how such theories get built, taken apart, rexamined, having pieces replaced, then built again over time. I find it particularly good for teaching people what you can and cannot conclude based on available evidence, which is what true science is all about. When you start to understand the power and pitfalls of science, i think it's a real milestone in becoming a scientist. Evolution belongs in science class.
Creationism is a totally different thought system. A religion based system, and so, if taught, belongs in a Bible study class- if you are a denominational school - or a comparative religion class - if you are a non-denominational school, which of course all public schools should be. Creationism can easily be integrated into a social studies curriculum. I believe that comparative religion classes should be required anyways, in some form or other, on par in importance with studying the history of your own country and international history, because they help us understand the background for our society. So I think they should both be taught. But with different context, because they are different philosophical systems.
Have fun at your summit. Intelligence and compassion are always appreciated, Christian or otherwise. But of course, no meeting can teach that.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 09:41 PM   #13
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Creationism is a totally different thought system.
I disagree, creationism can be "proved" the same way evolution can be "proved". With no mention of the Bible.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:10 AM   #14
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Show me your proof emplynx

Now, this topic of Creation "science" has been exhausted. A long time ago, a member named Quickbeam started a Creation "science" topic trying to prove it. Another old member, Juntel, disected each of his posts point by point and answered them using logic, proving how each was incorrect. Actually, everyone who posted in that topic that didn't have any proof or reasoning other than they were Christian and followed the bible strictly was humiliated by Juntel - even Darth Tater. I didn't partake in that topic.

But my view is certainly that Creationism should NEVER be taught in schools. Creation is not a science, but religion. People that believe in that will never change their beliefs because its their religion. Evolution is a science. It is a theory. So far, the best theory we have for explaning everything. Theories are not definate fact, but the closet so far to a fact as you are going to get. It is accepted by a majority of scientists. When new evidence is found, a new theory will inevitably be divised. And guess what? Scientists will change their beliefs to match it. Theories change all the time - what we know to be true.
Ex: We knew that the world was flat. Now due to science and new theories, we know that it is in fact round. So it is in no way a religion. Creationism is a religion. You have no proof what-so-ever except for your bible - its a belief - not to be confused with science. That is just my opinion.

Respond to that if you like, but this topic is NOT about Creation vs Evolution. If you really want to start another one of those topics, feel free to take it up with several other admins. I don't want another one of those. It caused Quickbeam to leave in humiliation.

Read the old topic - its a good read: Creation Science topic

edit: and why did you group "Christianity & Science" together? What is the relation? Science is science, Christianity is just a religion. How do they relate?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:40 AM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I totally agree with HOBBIT. Creationism teaches us a spiritual, magical force of everything with the capacity of thought, reasoning, and all human emotions created and creates everything with a word/action/thought, etc.

Evolution is merely science that doesn't rely on spiritual or magical forces to create life. It explains creation and growth of life through things that we can prove physically exist.

Therefore, they should not both be taught equally in classrooms.

Heck, if you're going to allow Christianity into schools you better also let in Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Paganism, etc. or you aren't being fair to the people who believe creationism through different god(s) and/or tales. Personally, I think it all belongs in Mythology class.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 07-14-2002 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:41 AM   #16
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Maybe the Christianity & Science thing is about Christian views of science. That's what it sounds like to me.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:50 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I agree with HOBBIT. Granted, the theory of evolution suffers from much the same dilemma as any other field of study - human fallacy and subjectivity, but at least it's based on a system whereby it is tested until the hypothesis is proven to be true or false, instead of pulling out "facts" from a black tophat. And unlike ideologies, evolution is adaptable to new evidence. Some christians complain that we can't get our facts straight, and decide on a theory once and for all, but that is the beauty of both science and social science, that the theories are open to change and development. Better to incorporate new evidence into the ever-changing theory, than to ignore it in the hopes of it going away. (Although, I DO live in eternal optimism that if I ignore Emplynx he will cease to exist... )

Last edited by BeardofPants : 07-14-2002 at 12:52 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:20 AM   #18
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with HOBBIT and BoP. Evolution is a FACT, although the theory of exactly how it occurs can and probably will change in the future. Although you can never prove anything, there is much evidence of evolution. From the fossil record and DNA evidence it can be extrapolated that evolution is the only way to explain this event. Evolution is science and creationism is mythology (and some other names I won't mention.) I know people find it difficult to take that we are decended from apes and fish and everything else on the planet, but is the truth and it doesn't bother me. If people want to believe that creationism is the truth, fine by me, but don't teach it to kids along side evolution.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:26 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I am of the opinion that religion should be taught at schools as an exclusive subject, perhaps comprising of theological and historical viewpoints. I would prefer to have school kids informed as to why people think and live the way they do.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 04:53 AM   #20
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I am of the opinion that religion should be taught at schools as an exclusive subject, perhaps comprising of theological and historical viewpoints. I would prefer to have school kids informed as to why people think and live the way they do.

Ok, I woke up to check out the news and entmoot

Now Anduril, do you mean you want religion taught or christianity taught? Religion would be a good subject - for study/history purposes only. Obvioulsy you meant not teaching kids a certain religion as truth. There is seperation of church and state for a reason. This would have to be a purely optional course and be purely HISTORIC. As in no Jesus preaching. If there were such a course, Christianity would not be the main focus of course. There would be Judiasm, Budhism, Islam, Hindu, all those ancient religions of course as well. But just teaching religion to young impressionable minds is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote