Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

The non-existing finger

I'm not sure, maybe this should be on the movie-forum..

But to my question:

My littlebrother, who hasn't read LotR, asked me while watching RotK, if Sauron didn't have to have the Ring on his finger to get all the power? And in that case, how could an eye put a ring on a non-existing finger, if he would have taken the Ring back? I thought a long time, but didn't really come up with a good answer.

So what should I tell my brother?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Tell your brother that Sauron never was an eye and that the eye in the movie is just a metaphor.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Oh, thanks.. I read LotR quite a while ago..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yes. The 'eye of Sauron', while appearing in the books, is a metaphor. In the Third Age Sauron took the form of a tall man robed in black.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just want to add that there is debate about whether the Eye was real or metaphorical, since I happen to think there was an actual Eye, the eye of Sauron, that Frodo saw in Galadriel's mirror, but not at all as it was portrayed in the movies. IOW, Sauron was in the shape of a man as was mentioned, but his eye was a physical thing, although mysterious in nature.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I just want to add that there is debate about whether the Eye was real or metaphorical, since I happen to think there was an actual Eye, the eye of Sauron, that Frodo saw in Galadriel's mirror, but not at all as it was portrayed in the movies. IOW, Sauron was in the shape of a man as was mentioned, but his eye was a physical thing, although mysterious in nature.
I agree with your point. I too think there was an actual Eye. On the other hand, I kinda like the movies representation of it
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #7
Almie
Hobbit

If Sauron had got the Ring back, I think he would once again become so powerful that he could have a shape of a man once again (if he wanted).

The Eye was maybe metaphorical, or something one thought to be seeing when he/she looked at Sauron. I agree it's quite mysterious in nature.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:30 AM   #8
Falagar

It may have been the Palant*r Sauron used to look for things. Or it may have been Sauron's actual eye.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
Elf Girl
Lurker

From the Letters, Tolkien is discussing possible courses of action had the Ring not been destroyed:

Quote:
The form that he took [at the end of the Third Age] was that of a man more than human stature, but not gigantic.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
Falagar

Yes but that stature must have had an eye. Read several similar discussions lately and have seen that quote come up several times.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:47 PM   #11
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Hmmm, I was wondering about that myself! I think that he was a human, but maybe he had something like the eye in the movie that could see everything, but Sauron had to see through it through something else. Or maybe the eye just ment that there were lots of servants working for him, that would tell him what was happening in different places, thus, he is all seeing. Like the person back at Bree who the hobbits suspected to be working for Sauron, would report back to him about what was happening in that area, and so on.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Yes but that stature must have had an eye. Read several similar discussions lately and have seen that quote come up several times.
Yes. I suppose it's possible that his 'Man-form' had red eyes rather like the 'Eye of Sauron'. Hmm. I rather like that idea. A compromise, though I still think it's wholly metaphor.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 01-12-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #13
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Also, keep in mind that the line in the movie about Sauron not being able to take physical form does not appear in the book. Certainly, Sauron's physical form had an eye (probably two), but I understand the Eye of Sauron to be a metaphor for his attention.
Thorin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM   #14
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Thorin II
keep in mind that the line in the movie about Sauron not being able to take physical form does not appear in the book.

Well, it sort of does, but in a considerably different context and in much earlier times. You're right, I believe, that by the time of The War of the Ring he had again (for at least the third time) reembodied himself.
Quote:
Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own. Then Sauron was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years.
(The above occurred, of course, at the end of the Last Alliance war, S. A. 3441).
The Silmarillion, p. 294, Houghton Mifflin, 1977.

It apparently took Sauron about 2,000+ years to reembody himself.
In LOTR Appendix B:
(T. A.) "2060 The power of Dol Guldur grows. The Wise fear that it may be Sauron taking shape again."

Actually, I have/had the impression Sauron was still in the process of reembodying himself in the late Third Age, but I must have been misled as much as Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh (I doubt PJ has studied Sauron's history that much).

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-06-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #15
matthew
Enting

I agree the eye was a sort of metaphor. all the same, i think sauron didnt need to put on his finger to draw power from it. as soon as he had it back he could regain a physical shape.
and i DONT think his incarnation had red eyes. someones been watching too much of pjs film

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
I agree the eye was a sort of metaphor. all the same, i think sauron didnt need to put on his finger to draw power from it. as soon as he had it back he could regain a physical shape.
and i DONT think his incarnation had red eyes. someones been watching too much of pjs film
Actually his eye (that looked at Frodo) was yellow (rimmed with fire). If it was his physical eye or something else we do not know, but I would guess his physical...

Last edited by Falagar : 01-07-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Something else to note is that the Barad Dur was described as having some sort of red light at the top, that was seen to move around something like the beam from a lighthouse (or that's the impression I get). The 'eye of sauron' could have been some sort of magical or mechanical device that he used to augment his farseeing. It seems that he used the palintir for that purpose.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #18
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
It may have been the Palant*r Sauron used to look for things. Or it may have been Sauron's actual eye.

Who has the seven Palantir's out of interest, i just cant think who else?

-Saurumon
-Denethor

Who else?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sauron had at least one palantir, and some of them were lost.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
The Eye was yellow, 'rimmed with fire', I believe, but I always imagined it red. PJs eye was orange. (And if someone else wants to say no, it was red, please debate it in the movie forum, not here.) Please forgive my grievous error.