Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2002, 02:39 AM   #1
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Winter Olimpics

You guys see the opening ceremony? What was up with the danceing snowflake guys and the indians?... I couldnt stop laughing, I wonder what the other countrys must think of America after seening that. It was like they came up with it the night before...Um lets see we can have coyotes, their Indian and they uh fight pumas or something, doesnt go along with everything else but hey, why not?... I thought the referance to LotR when New Zeland came out was cool, though I wish they had hobbits marching with them!

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:39 AM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Actually, I liked it. I usually like the opening ceremonies because I like looking at different costumes. And there were alot of neat costumes in the Indian contigent. Really colourful. I just finished watching the prerecorded telecast. I think it's really great that they gave those native nations so much exposure. Kind of nice to see them acknowledged as part of the country's history. I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't expect the Americans to do that to the extent that they did. It would have been much worse if they did the "pioneer" thing and completely left out the First Nations. It would just look bad.
There was one indian guy who was dancing with all these hoops that he was stepping in and out of and twirling around his body. That was so cool. They should have showed more of that. The NBC telecast only showed a few seconds, but I saw some more of it on a Canadian channel.
But I really like watching different ethnic dances, so even those american style dances were interesting.

anyways, no worries about people in other countries thinking that Americans are a bunch of cowboys and indians and the countryside is full of mountain lions, coyotes, and rattlesnakes. In reality, the damage was already done by people like Louis L'Amour and, most notably, John Wayne. It's a little too late by now. Heehee
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:28 AM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

Worst opening ceremony ever. After that rediculous ho-down I went to sleep.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*sighs* I just wish it was the summer olimpics again.

the winter are ok but I LOVE the summer ones. all the gymnastics *sighs*

oh well.......
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Olympics. With a "y"
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Well *I* liked it

because I'm an artsy person and like pretty colors and things that dont makes sense unless you go through about 20 layers of sybolism

I though the animal puppet things were just too dern cool(sept the snake...that one just looked stupid and didnt flow with the rest of the deighns of the other puppets), THEY WERE SO PRETTY. pretty pretty pretty. Want ...hoooorsseeey ooone....an da MOOSE!
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Thank god I didn't watch it. They put more soldiers there than in Afghanastan for *that*?

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:51 PM   #8
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Well, in comparison with other opening ceremonies, there wasn't much there. There should have been EVEN MORE neat dancing in the pow-wow/hoe-down. And instead of mixing it all up along the edge of the stadium, each major group would get a chance in the spotlight so we could see EVERYTHING.
Those animal puppet were kind of neat. My favourite was the bear. But when I saw them, I was thinking "hey, that's just like a chinese dragon dance with a moose on top instead of a dragon! and on ice skates." Which made me look forward to the Beijing ceremonies (yeah. my thoughts skip all over the place). If they don't have the stadium completely full of lion dancers all dancing in unison, I will be surprised and disappointed. I tried doing lion dance (we were learning it for a Chinese new year thing) and it's really hard, so that sort of thing impresses me. Now lion dancing on ice skates...
I also like watching the parade of nations because I like looking at the costumes. Mongolia disappointed me. They usually are more...flamboyant. The Russians the the fur hats and muffs for the women were cute. Umm...but i missed alot of it because they were at "kazakstan" by the time I tuned in. Canada and USA...boring!
heehee. it was fun.
Feraway, I'm not artsy, but i like pretty colours and pageantry too!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:54 PM   #9
Alandiel
Sapling

I started laughing when those puppet things came on, the whole thing was amusing if you ask me.
Alandiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #10
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I liked it, too. It seemed so graceful and elegant at times, while a little bit over-pioneer-y at others. And the puppets were neat.
I'm not much of a dancer or artist, but I am a singer and actor, and I love symbolism as well.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:14 PM   #11
Darth Tater
The man

Everybody loves some good symbolism, but this years opening ceremony was pretty damn dry. A bunch of American Indians milling about? People dressed up as pioneers having a ho-down? Even the cool looking animal puppets were totally devoid of color. Australia put on a show a thousand times better a couple years ago. Remember the ocean scenes with the girl flying up above the crowd? That rocked.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:44 PM   #12
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Yes...yes it did. The aussie show was REAL good. Especially cause it had more FIRE! YEAH! ^_^
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #13
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Everybody loves some good symbolism, but this years opening ceremony was pretty damn dry. A bunch of American Indians milling about? People dressed up as pioneers having a ho-down? Even the cool looking animal puppets were totally devoid of color. Australia put on a show a thousand times better a couple years ago. Remember the ocean scenes with the girl flying up above the crowd? That rocked.
You liked that girl!!! Was she blond??? If so her name is Nikki Webster and she S**TS me SOOO MUCH!!! Her songs suck and it is annoying!!!
Meanwhile...u liked Australia's opening ceremony!!! Yay us!!! I thought the kangaroos on bicycles were a little tacky didn't you???
Old 02-10-2002, 02:25 AM   #14
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

I will have to admit i share your exact opinion on Nicky Webster. And of course Australia put on a thousand time better show we are a thousand time better country.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:21 AM   #15
ryan
t2t relic

Its called culture (i think) and its what they were trying to show in the ceremonies. I, for one, thought the opening ceremony was awsome. I liked the whole native american thing. Although, the whole "lets give the entire audience flashlights so they can shine them in the cameras eyes" thing is kindof getting old. Its neat, but its.. old. The good news is, rumor has it Summer 2010 olympics at SF, which is nearby! Now, all i need is a few thousand for tickets to /that/ opening ceremony..
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 04:03 PM   #16
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

L_B you forgot the and the to show that you were being funny.

not that I think that Australia is not a great place, quite the contrary.

but be careful about saying that stuff.

(ahem)

still I agree, the Aussys did a real good job on the OS.

ours were......ok.... not too bad but not too great.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:05 PM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I liked the opening ceremonies. Showing the history of the old west was cool. I also have a friend who is Indian and lives on Six Nation Indian Reserve in Canada and I've been up there a ton of times. I've been to a Pow Wow up there too - and it is very cool.

I thought the Opening Ceremonies were really good and I think that maybe NBC has finally learned to leave out the melodramtic commentary and reduce the number of commercial. I didn't even bother watching Sydney's , for one thing I like the winter olympics the best, especially the snowboarding and hockey and for another it was impossible to watch with all the commercials. The commentary on why an athlete's fall was so devastating by giving a whole life story - got on my nerves.

Congratulations to Danny Kass from Hamburg NJ for winning the Silver in Snowboarding!!

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-12-2002 at 11:47 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #18
The_Real_Legolas
Elven Warrior

ceremony

I didn't even watch the ceremony!

One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
LEGOLAS ROCKS & so do I! GO ARCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_Real_Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #19
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I loved the opening ceremony. A great spectacle and meaningful too. I was born in Utah, and am going to college here right now (some of the hockey is in my town!) and it really did represent the state history and culture. My favorite thing was seeing Yo-yo Ma, even though you couldn't hear him very well with that Sting guy being so loud. I liked the parade of countries too.

The Utah history section was well done, if a bit mixed together and skimmed over. The Indians are part of the West, and part of Utah. I mean, they were the first ones here. Some of the Indian part was a little cheesy, with the flute thing and all, but it was good that they were represented. And if you think the pioneer part was OVERdone, you have never been to Utah. I was actually expecting quite a bit more. The animals...well I'm not sure how meaningful that was, but it was well done and very artistic. A good mix of abstractism and realism. As for the Western themes, people do have hoe-downs here! It's not unrealistic at all. The dancing was amazing, and the climax with the 2 trains was great. I wish I'd been there, except that it was expensive and cold!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #20
athelas
Enting

I missed the opening ceremony of the winter olympics. Sydney 2000 was great though. I was hooked on swimming and gymnastics. I visited the olympics site in Sydney 2 years back...what was it called? I can't remember...Homebush Bay right? (Digs for old Sydney guide....where is it? where is it?)
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote