Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2000, 08:27 AM   #1
Darth ATAT

How long did it take you to read LOTR?

Just wondering, considering that over this summer I am planning to attempt reading it once again. I've only ever got halfway through, mainly because I decided to have a good go at it and then a new SW book came out...
Old 07-25-2000, 09:03 AM   #2
emilsson

Re: How long did it take you to read LOTR?

I usually take one book at the time. I think I needed one week for each book. The last time I read LOTR I think it took one or two months because I had a hard time in school at that time.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:15 AM   #3
Fat middle

i cannot read those books in a week. i tend to read them more slowly than other books because i want to enjoy every detail. last time the whole LOTR took me over one month and a half.
Old 07-25-2000, 01:11 PM   #4
bmilder

The first time, it didn't take too long at all. I would stay up all night reading. I don't recall exactly how long it took, but it was less than a month. Now when I re-read it it can take a month or two because I don't constantly read.
Old 07-25-2000, 01:57 PM   #5
Arathorn II

The firs time I read LoTR it took me about 1 1/2 day, I could not stop reading it until I was finished. After that I have usualy used one week or more on each book.
Old 07-25-2000, 02:52 PM   #6
Shanamir Duntak

The first time it took me less than two weeks.

But now it's about the same time as everyone... a month... month and half
But I think it takes me longer and longer each new time as I enjoy more details each time.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:18 PM   #7
Darth Tater

After those little kiddy learn to read books the Hobbit and LOTR were the first real books I ever read, so LOTR took me like 6 months for the first reading. Now I try to go slowly, so about 2.
Old 07-25-2000, 11:19 PM   #8
Bullroarer

I took me

about 2 1/2 Years! the very first time. I read the hobbit when I was Kept on wondering where I could find the Lord of the Rings. Then one day I was downstairs and saw 3 books stacked. The first two author's name ended with "kien" and the last "poon" they turned out to be the FOTR, the TT, and BOTR, but not ROTK. When I was reading LOTR I read it slowly, wanting to catch every detail. Then when I got to the White Rider, right before the Gandalf part, I thought it was getting BORING. NEVER DID I EVER MAKE A GREATER MISTAKE!!!!I negleted the LOTR for Almost 1 1/2 years! then while tearing through the closet, I found it right where I left off, and Finished the TT. But nowI was on a quest to find the ROTK. And a 1/2 year I decided to go to Elmira with little happiness in going and I stopped by the newly created Barnes and Nobles or whatever it was that had just been build there. They had an entire case of Tolkien's work. I got the ROTK and Read it.

Oh yeah, I never go to far in BOTR, because My brother found it and read the first page and told on me. PHOOEY! :C
Old 07-26-2000, 07:47 PM   #9
dunedain lady

Re: I took me

My family read LOTR out loud, so it took us 3 months (1 summer). The next time I read it, I kept accidentally rereading pieces of it and losing the book because it took me a good 3 months to get it into my thick head that we actually own 2 copies of T2T!
Old 07-27-2000, 06:23 PM   #10
Grand Admiral Reese

Well, I'm not done yet, but since I started on Monday, I'm already done with The Fellowship of the Ring and am 80 pages into The Two Towers. If I get offline now and go back to reading, I could have it done by Saturday. I'd be done with LotR by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
Old 07-28-2000, 06:45 PM   #11
captain Tarpols

well, I'm not done with LOTR yet. so far, it took me about a month to read the hobbit because i took week long brakes. It took me about 3 weeks to read the fellowship. (finished it testerday) And now i am reading the two towers.
Old 07-28-2000, 07:33 PM   #12
noldo

It took me about 4 weeks to read LotR. The reading of course, was very scattered and I did most of the reading in the last two weeks. Last I read the Hobbit in a week and now am reading The Unfinished Stories of Numenor and Middle-Earth. At the same time I'm already re-reading LotR and intent to start on the English version very soon.
Old 07-28-2000, 11:14 PM   #13
Marsufo

Re: It took me

I'm not too sure, but I think it took me about 4 months to read FotR (I had a lot of homework and had to read other things for school), but I read TT in about 2.5 weeks (in the summer) and also 2.5 weeks (in the summer)for RotK. I've only read them once.

Marsufo
Old 07-29-2000, 01:28 AM   #14
Rambunctious Ugnaught

It took me about a month, but I was only reading about an hour a day because when I read more it seems boring
Old 07-29-2000, 04:15 AM   #15
arynetrek

the first time, about 2 weeks. i couldn't stand putting it down, but i made the mistake of trying to read while visiting some VERY illiterate relatives who couldn't understand the need to be left alone with a book. the second time, about a month, b/c i had school & was writing a report on it. #3 - about a month & a half. a lot of people i've talked to have said that it takes them longer every time they read, to pick up miniscule details, etc. and as of today i've been reading Sil for 3 weeks, but i had to take a week-&-a-half-long hiatus because of various complications of life (like trying to find a job...)

note to self - get offline... read...

aryne *
Old 07-30-2000, 09:03 AM   #16
Earendil

how long did it take you to read LOTR

first time around when i was in High School, the summer

Second time around, years later (this summer), 1 week

Earendil
Old 07-30-2000, 06:49 PM   #17
Rambunctious Ugnaught

I bet if I wanted to know I could read them in a week.
Old 08-01-2000, 08:12 PM   #18
Grand Admiral Reese

As of today, I'm finished with LotR. That makes it what, a week and a half of reading, including The Hobbit?
Old 08-01-2000, 08:17 PM   #19
Fat middle

that deserves a great "congradulations"

when are you going to begin your second reading
Old 08-13-2000, 10:11 AM   #20
Darth ATAT

Well, I've spent two holiday weeks and I'm now well into Return of the King, at the end of The Siege of Gondor. It has got a bit boring lately, particularly with the Passes of the Dead bit which I find difficult to understand (I can't even find the friggin mountain on the map!) but I can tell it will get good again soon.