Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Nazgul Melkor

Here is a lot of info on the first DARK LORD:

To be precise Melkor or Morgoth as he was later know is not a Dark Servant of Sauron...
...in fact quite the reverse is true.. Sauron was a disciple of this ancient evil in Middle Earth. Sauron was the student and Morgoth was his teacher.

A mear shadow of a Darker and deeper Evil.

In his ancient fortress of Angband, far to the north of Beleriand, he made an Iron Crown for himself, with the Silmarils mounted upon it.

Melkor' is the true name of the first Dark Lord, and is used for him from his Beginning until his theft of the Simarils.

Events of that period are described in this entry, but for events after his return to Middle-earth at the beginning of the First Age, see the entry for Morgoth Bauglir.

Said to be the mightiest dweller in Arda, Melkor was of the same order of the Valar and equal in power to Manwë himself, who was Melkor's brother in the mind of Ilúvatar. While the Valar descended into Arda to order and govern wisely, though, Melkor sought power for himself alone, and sought to bend all things to his own will.

All that the Valar made, Melkor looked to destroy; long before the Elves awoke, he threw down the Lamps of the Valar, destroying their dwelling in Almaren. They removed to Valinor, and fearing for the coming Elves, made war on Melkor and imprisoned him for three ages.

By the time he was released, the Elves had come to Valinor; Melkor turned back to his evil ways; slaying Finwë and stealing the Silmarils, he destroyed the Two Trees of Valinor and fled back to his ancient fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth.

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-16-2002, 04:17 PM   #2
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Nazgul More info...

After his theft of the Silmarils and Darkening of Valinor, Morgoth fled the Valar, and returned to Middle-earth with Ungoliant before the beginning of the First Age.

In his ancient fortress of Angband, far to the north of Beleriand, he made an Iron Crown for himself, with the Silmarils mounted upon it.

In the first year of the First Age, the Noldor returned to Middle-earth to make war on Morgoth for the recovery of the Silmarils. The history of that Age is the history of the hopeless wars of the Noldor against Morgoth.

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-16-2002, 07:41 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Is that from the Encyclopedia of Arda? The "entry" bit is a tip-off. I don't like it at all. It's badly written.

Quote:
To be precise Melkor or Morgoth as he was later know is not a Dark Servant of Sauron...
...in fact quite the reverse is true.. Sauron was a disciple of this ancient evil in Middle Earth. Sauron was the student and Morgoth was his teacher.
To be precise? What is so precise? What is the point of making this fact clear? Are there many people who think Morgoth was a servant of Sauron? I've never witnessed anyone make that mistake. All that really needs to be said is that Melkor was the first Dark Lord and that Sauron was his chief servant, and Lieutenant.

Quote:
A mear shadow of a Darker and deeper Evil.
Here there is a spelling error in "mear," which should be "mere," and the entire paragraph is but a sentence fragment. Who is the mere shadow of a Darker and deeper Evil? Why is "darker" capitalized, or "evil"? I know the fragment is talking about Melkor, but those who (I assume) this entry was made for will not.

Quote:
This is desperate need of a pronoun. The sentence fragment preceding, (which is supposed to stand as a paragraph for some reason), does not specify anyone, so who is "his" in this sentence? I know it is Melkor because I am aware of the history, but anyone looking up "Melkor" because they don't know who he is will not know who ruled the ancient fortress of Angband, where it was, who made an Iron Crown, or even what the Silmarils are.

Quote:

Melkor' is the true name of the first Dark Lord, and is used for him from his Beginning until his theft of the Simarils.
This is incorrect. "Melkor" is not anyone's "true" name. It is his name in Quenya that the Vanyar and Ñoldor used of him before the Rebellion, but it was not his name from the Beginning. It is used in the "Ainulindalë," but only because names must be used, and "Melkor" was convenient. Quenya did not exist before the Elves did.

Quote:
Said to be the mightiest dweller in Arda, Melkor was of the same order of the Valar and equal in power to Manwë himself, who was Melkor's brother in the mind of Ilúvatar. While the Valar descended into Arda to order and govern wisely, though, Melkor sought power for himself alone, and sought to bend all things to his own will.
Why does this introductory note come in in the middle? The words "though" and "own" are entirely unnecessary, and the last sentence here would sound much better without them.

Quote:
All that the Valar made, Melkor looked to destroy; long before the Elves awoke, he threw down the Lamps of the Valar, destroying their dwelling in Almaren. They removed to Valinor, and fearing for the coming Elves, made war on Melkor and imprisoned him for three ages.
"Fearing for the coming Elves" is obscure and ought to be clarified. In fact I think the entire entry obscure, and in need of clarification.

Quote:
By the time he was released, the Elves had come to Valinor; Melkor turned back to his evil ways; slaying Finwë and stealing the Silmarils, he destroyed the Two Trees of Valinor and fled back to his ancient fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth.
Who is Finwe? What are the Silmarils? What are the Two Trees of Valinor? What's the significance of all this? Some explanatory words in there would be nice.

I don't think this entry would be very helpful, and I find it difficult to enjoy.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #4
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Don't blame me

Don't blame me if some pot head has put wrong info in an Encyclopedia!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-17-2002, 12:17 PM   #5
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

It is easy enough to type "Encyclopedia Middle Earth" into a search engine and come up with the exact same website, so these threads are pointless. We already have this information at our fingertips. The purpose of a message board is not for everyone here to post random trivia facts, but for each poster to interact with others in order to generate stimulating discussion.

However, Nilore (and zavron too, for that matter), if you insist on posting this pointless information, you should at least make sure it is accurate information. Otherwise, having seen that previous posts of yours contain misinformation, people will quit reading your posts altogether, and your name will be as good as spam--I mean mud.

Less insipidity, please <--smilie to show no hard feelings (though I meant everything I said)

It also isn't good etiquette to post info like this without citing your source. In the academic world, we call this plagearism and punishment is severe.

Last edited by crickhollow : 11-17-2002 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This is just a non-sence thread. Closing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread