Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Organ donor sticker on your U.S. driver's license

Not a particularly cheerful topic, but I just got my new drivers' license, and I attached the little organ donor sticker to it and signed the card, and I was wondering if most of the Entmoot drivers in the US have done that, too. And if not, I wanted to encourage you to think about doing it. There's so many people that could use a transplant, and I'm certainly not going to have any use for my organs when I'm dead, so I think it's a great idea.

I didn't check the 'donate your body to science' spot, though, because somehow .... ugh! My bod and I have been through a lot together, and I'm glad to give organs to others, but I don't want my body to end up in Anatomy 101! Irrational, but whatever...

Do other countries have something like this on their drivers' licenses? It's really to just speed things up, because organs are only good for so long (envisions little "use by xx/xx/xx" stamp on her organs).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

In Indiana we have a little red heart in the corner of the license...you also have to sign the back of the license as well....which I did.
I totally agree with RÃ*an about dontating to others vs. to science

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 01-27-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

In New Jersey we don't have stickers or anything. I did check the organ donor square though and sign it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Now that is my idea of recycling..

We have donor cards (separate from the drivers licence) in the UK....not everyone has a drivers licence here.

Got mine filled out and 'tis permanently in my wallet I also told my next of kin that my wotsits should be donated...in the event of the card being lost/destroyed etc...

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Never will I "donate my body to science", but I will donate organs.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

check! I just renewed my Driver's Liscense last month...Washington does the read heart in the corner, too.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I signed my license, but I didn't get a sticker. I think it's because I never bothered to go to the DMV and ask them if they could stick my card, because I signed it about three days after I first got it.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Your Wotsits?

I don't have a drivers license

That's valid anyway. *SCARED YOU*

But I am a donor. Not a science donor though.

They cut you up, measure your organs & such, but what do they do to the bodies after they are done with them?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:21 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

When I first got my license back in 1994, lol, I am not that old so stop thinking that! So anyway, back then I wasn't an organ donor, I am really weird when it comes to blood and stuff like that, my own anyway. However, I thought about it more and became an organ donor the next time I had to renew my license and have been ever since.

The markings have been different on each license I have had. I have had a New York, Ohio and Virginia licenses, in that order. The New York one, if I can remember correctly was just a check box and a signature, the Ohio one was a red heart marking on the back of the license (or one of the corners), and the Virginia license is a red heart in the top left hand corner that says "Organ Donor" next to it.

D
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't want to donate. Just don't! I knew a guy who was on a list forever, and finally got a heart transplant. Then he couldn't afford the medicine, or maybe he chose to pay rent instead of medicine money. So he quit taking his meds and his body then rejected the heart. Of course, he died. I can't believe that he and his insurance company (if he had one, he was a real wild guy, lead singer in a local group called "Latex Novelties" , he went by the name of "Peter Pills" ) or medicaid would go thru all that, and then...croak!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:48 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't have anything like that on my license. (Don't you just hate your photo on your license?) I vaguely remember when I got my license a few years ago not checking the box. Maybe I was nervous about the test. My parents have cards which say they are organ donors. Frankly, even though I know that when I'm dead I wont feel a thing, the thought of people hacking up my body scares me. I suppose it's an irrational fear. I would never ever donate my body to science. I have seen bodies at my university cut up and displayed. Yuck!

Last edited by cassiopeia : 01-28-2003 at 12:49 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:56 AM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I have the donor sticker too. Not like I'll need my guts when I'm done with 'em.... Although if anyone inherits my heart, I bet they'll be mighty surprised at all the strange Hobbit-loving urges that go with it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't quite have my driver's license yet
(i do have my learner's permit) but I do have a Michigan state ID and there si the option of being a donor on there too. I am just not sure if you have to be a certain age to do it. Otherwise I would. I guess I will when I get my license. I can't find my ID right now anyway. I will not have my body donated to science though. eww.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #14
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I checked the box. And I notified my Next of Kin. Yee-haw! After I die, maybe I will save someones life

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #15
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I've been a donor ever since I got my first Driver's License in 1979. 'Course, not sure my organs are desirable -- having a wild and misspent youth in my past, and a somewhat dissipated lifestyle in the present.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #16
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

yep, im an organ doner!
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:34 PM   #17
crickhollow

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
I have the donor sticker too. Not like I'll need my guts when I'm done with 'em.... Although if anyone inherits my heart, I bet they'll be mighty surprised at all the strange Hobbit-loving urges that go with it.
hehe, I don't think anyone will want my heart-- though not because of hobbit-loving urges--I've got a leaky valve. Although...I suppose even a leaky heart is better than one that doesn't work at all.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #18
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Strangely, I see no point in donating my organs.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:51 PM   #19
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Blimey Crick! Sorry to hear that you have a bit of a dicky-ticker

Come to think of it, my lungs would probably need a bit of a rinse under the fawcet if they were to be any good to anyone

I've been thinking (allegedly) about the whole donating my body to medical science bit and I think I could only do it would be if I died from some rare disease or something.....that way being chopped minced and analysed might be of some use in the long-term........otherwise they'll have to get someone else's bits for the student doctors to oggle.

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 01-28-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
crickhollow

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
[B]Blimey Crick! Sorry to hear that you have a bit of a dicky-ticker

Come to think of it, my lungs would probably need a bit of a rinse under the fawcet if they were to be any good to anyone/B]
Still smoking, then? Or do you mean because you smoked for so long?

tsk! Thanks for the concern . 'Tisn't anything really serious-- I'm not allowed to play (American) Football, which is fine with me, and I have to take antibiotics before visiting the dentist.

If you're interested, it's calledMV Prolapse