Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

why was the power of the three elf rings diminished?

I have a few questions about the power of the elven rings:
1. With the destruction of the one-ring, the three rings of power of the elves are diminished. Why is that?
2. How could Sauron link the power of his ring to the power of the three elven rings, given that he did not help forging them?
3. Was their power just diminished or was it completely cancelled?
4. Is the end of the power of the elven rings the only reason for the elves leaving Middle-Earth or is that more than that?
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
1. The One Ring was the Master Ring, it was connected to all the other Rings of Power, so since the One Ring was destroyed, the Elven Rings powers were diminished, it also had to do with the fact that the end of the third age was the beginning of the Age of Men, and the end of the Age of the Eldar.

2. he helped forge them by giving his knowledge of metal-working to Celebrimbor (he was a Maia of Aule after all)

3. Who knows

4. No, its more in reference to what I said up in 1
Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The elven-rings were forged using a technique which Sauron taught to the elves. That technique (whatever it was) worked in such a way that, Sauron was able to use the One Ring to control them... appearantly, whatever powered the elven-rings was being routed through the one rings (which was why they could each sense the other, etc).

Yes, that was the only reason they left, because the elves were a bunch of selfish brats, and the rings were the only thing that allowed them to continue having their way in middle earth. Babies.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wayfarer's post reminds me of how when I write programs, I put in secret things that only I know about ... heh heh heh ... so I have control over the users that they aren't aware of ... ...

(and frankly, it's mainly to save myself work if someone messes up!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

And just to pick up on Wayfarer's use of the word technique, IMO it's part of Tolkien's suspicion of technology.

The elves were easily seduced by a technology which seemed to offer them their heart's desire.

It's a warning that it's not just the overtly power-mad, such as Saruman, who need to be cautious about technology.

This also, I think, explains why, when Elrond and Galadriel talk of Sauron, they use terms like not talking to him or not listening to him, rather than just "fighting the Enemy".

Rian, you are a naughty half-elf. If my M$ Word suddenly starts displaying Tengwar, I'll know whom to blame.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote