Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Shrek II

This looks hilarious! I saw the trailer!

Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots!

And John Cleese is in it too, as Fiona's father.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-26-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

Yah, I saw the trailer too. It does look really funny! I think it might even be better than the first one.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
omg this actually looks like its gonna be the most hilarious film ever. loved shrek and this one does look even better indeed. however monseuir robin hood will be hard to bored hehe

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I thought the first film was marvelous, but I do have doubts about milking it for a sequel. It does smell a bit of finding a way to dump all the fairy tale spoofs that didn't make it into the first one, and judging from the trailer I'm not sure making this was a necessary move. You'd think that given how much I loved the first one, this would be higher on my "most anticipated" list, but it isn't.

Of course, back in 2001 when the first one came out, part of the reason it was such an experience was because the trailer was like the one we have here for Shrek 2, and I was going in with low expectations. The result was, it blew me away.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Elvenlady
Hobbit

I can't wait to see this one. I just about died with laughter when Puss in Boots jumped out.

Does anyone know when it will be coming out?

No, really the account for Elvengirl has not been working so I created this other identity, it may or may not be permanent..... just to let you know.....
Elvenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

May 21 - I believe that's Victoria Day up here, and Memorial Day down in the States?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 04-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Elvenlady
Hobbit

ok thanks

It seems like all the movies I want to see are coming out in May

No, really the account for Elvengirl has not been working so I created this other identity, it may or may not be permanent..... just to let you know.....
Elvenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

I was just wondering, but other than the fact that in the movie the characters go and meet her parents, what is the rest of the plot? Or is it just mainly based on that one thing?
Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Watch the latest trailer, which is much more encouraging than the first. There's a contractual subplot of some sort with Prince Charming.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:16 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Elvengirl wrote:
Quote:
It seems like all the movies I want to see are coming out in May
That's no coincidence. In the movie business, you'll usually have studios stake out "tentpole" weekends about a year in advance, and Memorial Day tends to be a big one. Ever since The Mummy in 1999, the first weekend of May has tended to be pretty huge (just look at Spider-Man two years ago). Other big studio films tend to stroll in and try to ride the overflow, which is why May is typically the biggest cinema-going month of the year.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yes, I see.
It seems to be that way at the end of the year too.

New trailer is hilarious hehe Joan Rivers hehe

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Yeah. Looks good... I wanna see it.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm looking forward to it too. The first one had Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah in it... that's the mark of a good movie. Also, I saw it on at 1am on new year's eve while unsubtley but soberly snuggled up next to the girl who is now my girlfriend... so in conclusion... it had a green monster and a donkey with an attitude in it right?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:30 AM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

If you liked the first movie, go see this one. There are plenty of pop culture references in this one to keep you busy, along with an interesting story. Many of the references are very subtle, so be on your toes when you watch this movie. I liked it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #15
Vicky
Enting

It ain't fair! I, and the rest of Belgium, have to wait until 23th of juni... A hole month!
ALWAYS GO THEIR SEPARATE WAYS
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I thought it was okay. The first one was better, of course, but it wasn't bad, and I'm not sad I spend money on it.

Hey, see if you can catch the Lewis Black reference in it. I laughed really loudly, and the person I was with didn't get it.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Apparently I didn't get it, because I just thought to myself, "Lewis Black? Who the heck is that?"

After Shrek and Donkey had transformed,
and they were sitting in the bar, the bartender asks, "Why the long face?" Either I was the only one who got it, or I was the only one who thought it was funny, but I was sitting in the third row and let out a sound that can only be described as a guffaw.

If you don't get it, there's an old joke that goes something like this: A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hey buddy, why the long face?"

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I can't wait to see it! I heard it had more laughs but less charm than the first one. I have a friend who's already seen it twice! No fair! They are going to be showing it at a drive-in theater near here so, I may go see it there.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:34 PM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Seen it twice. "More laughs but less charm" is a pretty accurate descriptor. I liked the movie a lot - enough to see it twice, and catch a lot of things the second time around that flew by the first time through - and while it was a joy to watch, it could have done with a little more depth.

Excerpt from my full review:
Quote:
Now here's a critical quotation they should put in the ads that pretty much sums up what an audience can expect: "Shrek 2 is the Spy Who Shagged Me of animation!" Even ignoring the Mike Myers factor, the approach is similar: satisfying the reason why audiences demand sequels in the first place by giving them more of what they saw in the first: more of the same type of humour, but with send-ups that were left out of the original or simply could not be done at the time; for an idea of the latter case, the references to The Lord of the Rings and Spider-Man. Given that Shrek planted itself firmly as the definitive cinematic representation of the "fractured fairy-tale" subgenre, the territory of Jon Scieszka children's books, this is hardly a bad thing.

Substantially, though, the main reason why the sequel falls short of being a classic is that despite its serviceably amusing extension of Shrek's wry humour, it misses the boat on something key. The quality of the first movie was not due to its humour, but rather because it explored the entire range from Jar Jar Binks flatulence to something ultimately more sentimental and self-contained, and knew how to switch between the two at a moment's notice with impeccable timing. Shrek 2 has but a fraction of the heart, and its lack of a deep emotional core reduces it to no more than a lighthearted and fun movie. This may be enough for some fans of the original, but it comes off as a step backwards in comparison.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:57 AM   #20
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Lewis Black is a comedian who, in one of his more famous bits, complains about how Starbucks is taking over the world, and when you turn around to get out of one there's one across the street. They reference it in the movie, but not with words.