Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Serenity?

Heard of this movie? Serenity Site

I've watched the series (on DVD) that the film was based on, and I think the movie has a shot at being pretty good. Whatchall think? (trailers on site)
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Rconsole
Elven Warrior

That looks pretty good one of those movies that will be awesome or really suck but i'm going to see it for sure!
I've never heard of the series, was it called Serenity too?
Rconsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

It was called Firefly. Ran for only a handful of episodes... 13 or 17 or something like that. The episodes, being for TV, lacked a little, of course, but the characters are fantastic. If you can get ahold of the DVD set, I'd reccommend watching them before you see the movie (some people who've gone to the screenings have said that it would probably be easier to get into the movies if you've seen the series... *shrug*). Anyway, if you do, watch out. Some of the episodes get explicit here and there.

I agree that it is one of those movies that will either rock big time or flop big time. I hope it's the former... I'm going to pay good money to see it.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I watched the series about a year ago. It was just OK.

There were only 12 or 13 episodes made - and only like 9 episodes were actually aired on TV before FOX cancelled it. All the episodes are on the DVDs though.

FOX gave it bad treatment - little to no advertising (I didn't know about it when it aired on FOX), aired episodes out of order, kept changing time slot and day around.

The series had potential. And this movie has the potential to be really good.

The Sci-Fi Channel has now been airing Firefly every Friday at 6 PM for a month or two now. All 13 or whatever episodes should be airing there.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

Firefly is one of those quirky shows that would have been good if given another season. FOX has a habit of snuffing out good shows because they don't immediatly hit the top 20 their first couple months. They did that to VR-5 ten years ago...

Serenity should be good.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

It was good! Glad I went to go see it. Not all the right people lived happily ever after, but it was pretty good. I'd reccommend it to anyone with a spare Friday night.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I loved Firefly! I was so mad when they canceled it. Now I can't wait to see the movie!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*was bullied into starting this, but then I looked and there was this thread already, so I couldn't start a new one

hookay, this is how it goes: 1) Fav character 2) fav ep 3) how p'd off are you over its cancellation 4) sexiest character 5) do you like the theme song? 6) The philosophy of the show: discuss 7) What do you think happened between the closing of the firefly series, and Serenity, the movie? 8) Do you think the universe will be re-visited in tv series format, or movie format? 9) How cool is Jayne??? 10) Comparison with other Whedon projects 11) any clever questions I forgot

Seriously though: the floor is... open.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

And how can you not like the theme song??!

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-31-2006 at 03:03 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Ahhh yes, sweet Serenity. Who could've possibly bullied you in to this?

Here we go,

1)Favorite character- It's so hard to choose one. They all had their own little things that I liked about them. Even Simon. I'll get into this in a later post. If I had to choose one though it would have to Mal. With Jayne a very close second. He's a true leader. Heroic, brave, intelligent, and he's able to keep moral up. I love the way he protects and watches over each and every person on his crew. EVERY PERSON. His sense of humor is great and yet he knows when it's not time to joke around. Like I said, I'll get more in depth in a future post.

2)Favorite episode-Another hard choice. I'll have to go with War Stories though. It's got a little bit of everything. You get see the tough side of Mal, and the fun side. The crew rallies together and you get to see how much they really do care for one another. You also get to see a preview of Rivers abilities than come out in the movie. My favorite line from that one: Nietchka(sp?)-"You died Mr. Reynolds." Mal-"Seemed like the thing to do."

3)Cancellation-*censored* stupid *censored* idiotic *censored* morons

4)Sexiest character-Though Kaylee is sooo very cute, the sexiest is defenitely Innara. *drools* *drools some more*

5)Theme song- Do I like it? Lets just say I sing it in the shower everyday, it's on my ipod, and I called the local radio station once and asked them to play it, it was a dare.

6)Philosophy of Firefly-I'll have think about this. I do love how there is no sound in the space shots, no weird aliens, and there is no "set your phasers to stun". Also, that everyone knows Chinese. The idea that the US and China were the only surving super poweres in the future.

7)What happened between the time Firefly ended and Serenity began- they took some jobs, got in trouble, Simon whined, Kaylee fixed the ship while having fun and looking cute, Book keep everything "civil", Innara took some "jobs", Mal was cool, funny, and keep everyone alive, Wash flew the ship with flawless accuracy and made some funny comments about not wanting to take a job, Jayne kicked ass, Zoe followed Mal and kicked ass, and River, well, River was just River.

8)Will Firefly come back-I really hope so. It wouldn't be the same without some of the crew, but; it would still be great. I'd really like to see it on a network like HBO or Showtime where they could have a little more freedom with the show. Like not having to say all the derogatory things in Chinese.

9)How cool is Jayne- Way cool.

10)Comparison to other of Joss' works-Though I liked Buffy, this is the best one, IMO. At least it didn't suck as bad as Angel did.

More to come......

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 04-02-2006 at 12:29 AM. Reason: you have to guess
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I'm surprised I haven't posted here yet.

1- Shows like this don't allow favorites. But if I was any of the characters, I would be Wash.

2- I liked "The Train Job." More specifically the part where Jayne gets shot. IDK why, but I thought it was hilarious.

3- I didn't know about it until my brother got the box set and told me what happened with Fox. So I wasn't angry, but just really sad that that was that. It had so much potential. At that point, what I was most excited about was learning more about Jayne. He was just about to become dynamic.

4- Zoe. I like Kaylee better though, but she's just cute as hell. Zoe is hot. Or if we're not confining it to main characters, Mrs. Reynolds.

5- I love the theme song. Not really, but I don't think any other show has a theme song that is even nearly as perfect for it.

6- I like it.

7- Farimir, you definately summed it up. Plus, Joss Whedon would probably say the exact same thing.

8- I hope Whedon stills feels passionate enough about it. It has potential in any format now, except that realistically no one is going to buy the show from Fox, but it could still end up as a series of movies.

9- I didn't like Jayne's character. But that always happens. I hated D'Argo in Season 1 of Farscape also. If the show was allowed to continue I know something would have happened and he would have become the most fascinating character, and proabably then I'd say he's the coolest. In the box set, I like him best when he's not looking stupid and still being funny, like when he says "I ain't fightin' no war. Good luck to you though." Then he breaks nine men with a barstool.

10- Well Buffy and Angel were both crap IMO. It's no contest.

11- The movie! I loved it. There should be a new genre called "brawl," where the movies are all about one gigantic battle and may or may not involve the motivation for or planning of the battle. It should consist of Serenity, RotK, Four Brothers and Braveheart. But seriously, Serenity even made sense standing on its own, beating RotK by a longshot and just rocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Seriously though: the floor is... open.
aaaah. . . faaaaalllling! ( )

Last edited by Bombadillo : 04-03-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
Spaceman Spiff

QUOTE=Bomb]I didn't like Jayne's character.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
10- Well Buffy and Angel were both crap IMO. It's no contest.
*waits for Anna to come in and bop( ) Bomb*

Zoe?! You didn't even give Innara a nod? What Firefly did you watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb
8- I hope Whedon stills feels passionate enough about it. It has potential in any format now, except that realistically no one is going to buy the show from Fox, but it could still end up as a series of movies.
Oh he does. Did you know after the show got canceled Alan Tudyk(Wash) gave Joss the button from "Out of Gas" and told him to press it when his miracle happened? I hope he presses it soon.

I agree with you about how you really didn't need to see the series to get the movie. My mom didn't see a single episode and she loved the movie, and understood it. She did ask a few questions why it was going on though, like "What are reavers?"

Oh, about Kaylee, *points to sig* she is very cute. Stupid Simon.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
*waits for Anna to come in and bop( ) Bomb*
Alright, so I never gave them much of a chance. I saw a couple episodes of Buffy and they were both horrible, equivalent to a bad B movies. Maybe they weren't accurate examples. Angel I figured was a spin-off and so I avoided it. But they were both on WB11 over here, a channel which is otherwise synonomous with crap, so it made sense and all.

Quote:
Zoe?! You didn't even give Innara a nod? What Firefly did you watch?
LMAO! You've gotta be kidding me! Zoe was just pure, wholesome sexiness. Innara was hot too, and then she had to go and whore herself and use too much makeup and everything.

Quote:
Oh, about Kaylee, *points to sig* she is very cute. Stupid Simon.
Yeah. She's the best. I bet if the show was allowed to continue, we would have seen Simon come out of the closet eventually.

I bet a Serenity movie series could be as popular as Indiana Jones, if today's audiences aren't dumb, but I'm not counting on that. Man, I hope so though.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 04-03-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
....and then she had to go and whore herself and use too much makeup and everything.
LOL. She had to do her job, ya know.

Quote:
Yeah. She's the best. I bet if the show was allowed to continue, we would have seen Simon come out of the closet eventually.
Well, he did. At the end of Serenity he and Kaylee, well, you know. Still, stupid Simon.

Quote:
I bet a Serenity movie series could be as popular as Indiana Jones, if today's audiences aren't dumb, but I'm not counting on that. Man, I hope so though.
A movie series would be cool, but, I would rather see it come back as a series. We could get even more Firefly.

I was thinking about question 11 BoP posted, as to any clever things she might have forgotten, and I think I have one.

11) Favorite Camera Angle- They liked to use unconventional camera angles, like not having the actors in the middle of the shot,stuff like that. One of my favorites is from the Object in Space. The one with the bounty hunter. At the begining where River is having an "episode" and she runs down the steps in the cargo bay and steps on the stick. It starts with a shot of just her feet and the stick, and then she bends down into the shot. Loved that.

Another was from Out of Gas. When it opens with a shot of the cargo bay floor(umm, what is it with me and the cargo floor? ) and then Mal slams to floor, the camera then moves down throught the crate of the floor and flows down Mal and you see a single drop of blood drop. I liked that one too.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Alright, so I never gave them much of a chance. I saw a couple episodes of Buffy and they were both horrible, equivalent to a bad B movies.
*whacks bomb
Alright, so season one was a bit sucky, but you should really give it a shot. Some of the episodes are incredible, like conversations with dead people in season 7, and I think you'd like The Gift from season 5, Hush from season 5 (where nobody speaks), The Body from season 5 (buffy's mother passes away), Restless from season 4, Fool for love from season 5, Bargaining Parts I & II from season 6, Once more with feeling (musical episode) from season 6, and Lies my parents told me from season 7. You should really give it a better chance.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Favorite character Aw, it is hard to choose, but my favourite character would have to be Mal. I mean, anyone who vaguely resembles indiana jones has to rock, right? My second favourite character would have to be River though.

Favorite episode War Stories.

Cancellation Pisses me off no end. I only recently got into it after the serenity movie (I wanted to watch all his series in order, so I watched buffy as I hadn't seen much of that either, and angel, which I'm sorry to say, is an inferior series), so I wasn't as pissed as I could have been. I'm glad that there was a movie, that's for sure, and I hope there will be further ones, but I'm afraid that Joss might be moving on from the firefly universe.

Sexiest character Male - Mal; Female - River Tam

Theme song Yeah, I don't think I'm as sad as Doug... I do like it though. It's a rockin' theme song.

Philosophy of Firefly Yeah, I'll have to give this some thought as well. Certainly there are interesting themes, like those nasty lil' scary dudes originating from human stock and human fiddling. ::shudder:: Reavers are scary....

What happened between the time Firefly ended and Serenity began Doug makes a good point, but c'mon man, this is Whedon. Where's the almighty twists? What kinda left-field **** do you think happened to them? Evolution of the characters (which is what joss does best, right?)?

Will Firefly come back I don't think so. Not in a serial format. I really do think he has moved on. We may get another movie or 2, but I think that would be it. *sigh*

How cool is Jayne He rocks.

Comparison to other of Joss' works I'm not sure. Had it been given a proper chance to evolve its story and characters, I think it had the potential to be one of his best works. As it is, Buffy gets my vote for the moment.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-04-2006 at 03:21 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #17
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

1) Fav character This is a toughie. I like all the characters... I honestly can't decide.

2) fav ep I really liked Ariel. Simon/River episodes are my faves, really, like Safe. The pilot was really good, too. Actually, Out Of Gas was probably my favourite, with the exception of a few moments here and there. The way it was edited, the way the story-lines came together, the perfect intros of characters (Jayne and Wash especially)--I loved that one.

3) how p'd off are you over its cancellation I didn't see it on television. A friend lent me the DVD set.

4) sexiest character I'm not really into 'sexiest' people in shows. But I suppose if you really got after me, I'd say that Simon is the cutest.

5) do you like the theme song? Love the theme-song!

6) The philosophy of the show: discuss Philosophy of the show? What I see the show as is real people with real problems, just set in the future. For that reason it is very believable and entertaining. These people are not super-beings or highly-evolved humans. They're normal. The characters and places, really the whole vasty 'verse, is very well fleshed out. This makes it all very believable and interesting. If you were looking for something else when you said 'philosophy', do clarify.

7) What do you think happened between the closing of the firefly series, and Serenity, the movie?
Well, it's obvious that Inara moved out, as she said she would in... oh, was it Objects in Space? Book, who was a paying passenger, probably ran out of funds and therefore went back to his abbey. Apparently the tension between all the remaining crew was getting worse as the noose that River's presence created tightened...

8) Do you think the universe will be re-visited in tv series format, or movie format? I would prefer tv-series, actually. Mostly because they could fill in the space between series and movie, and Wash would be back!!

9) How cool is Jayne??? Jayne isn't exactly cool, but he's pretty darned entertaining. I love Jayne! (*gasps* I did not just say that.)

10) Comparison with other Whedon projects
Never seen any other Whedon stuff.

11) any clever questions I forgot
12)Serenity vs. Millenium Falcon?

The Falcon used to be my favourite ship in all sci-fi-dom before I saw Firefly. Now I love Serenity.

13) River? What do you think of her; her imposed mental problems, her attachment to the Reaver problem, etc. What exactly happened to her?
I'll spill my opinion on this later, after the discussion gets going.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #18
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoP
Theme song Yeah, I don't think I'm as sad as Doug... I do like it though. It's a rockin' theme song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoP
What happened between the time Firefly ended and Serenity began Doug makes a good point, but c'mon man, this is Whedon. Where's the almighty twists? What kinda left-field **** do you think happened to them? Evolution of the characters (which is what joss does best, right?)?
Twist? You want a twist? I think Book told Jayne everything. If you notice they were starting to get all chumy towards the end. Lifting weights, cooking, trading stories and what not. I think one day Book told him all about his past and Jayne never brought it up, because for him if there wasn't any money involved, or it didn't effect him, he had no need to spill any of this. In the movie there was no time to tell any of this after Book died because they were about to fly through Reaver territory. How's that for a twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
4) sexiest character I'm not really into 'sexiest' people in shows. But I suppose if you really got after me, I'd say that Simon is the cutest.
Come on, Simon? Everyone who's anyone knows that Kaylee was the cutest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Book, who was a paying passenger, probably ran out of funds and therefore went back to his abbey.
He started out as a paying costumer but that changed. He became a part of the crew after he helped with rescue of Mal from Niska. Also, it never said why he left, I think it was a choice of his to leave and set up Haven. I think Mal liked having him around. It was Book's plan that got them out of trouble with the feds in The Message.

13) River? What do you think of her; her imposed mental problems, her attachment to the Reaver problem, etc. What exactly happened to her?
Simon talks about some of what they did to her in a couple of episodes. I love River. She's scary as hell, but friendly at the same time. If that makes sense? I'm still up in the air as to her connection to the Reavers. Was she on Miranda? In the movie it seemed like she was. This might just have been one of her "visions" though. Um, I'll have to think some more on this.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I'm kinda out of the loop on Firefly I haven't seen it in so long and I'm having problems finding the DVD set The episode I remember the most is the one where Mal has flashbacks all through the episode on how he found the crew. I think its Out of Gas, but I'm not sure.
Mal is def my fave character.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
I'm kinda out of the loop on Firefly I haven't seen it in so long and I'm having problems finding the DVD set The episode I remember the most is the one where Mal has flashbacks all through the episode on how he found the crew. I think its Out of Gas, but I'm not sure.
Mal is def my fave character.
Yes, it was OOG that had the flash-backs.