Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Incredible ROTK Review (No Spoilers)

A new ROTK review from AICN with spoilers deleted:

Quote:
Hi Harry,

I was fortunate enough to see a media screening of ROTK last night at The Lowe's Kips Bay theater in New York City. I've never sent you a review before but after reading the reviews you posted so far I felt I needed to. Although ultimately positive, most of these reviews have felt underwhelming. If anyone were to ask my opinion (which I know they are not) I was expecting to see movie history made with ROTK. I was expecting to see the movie event of the past 10 years. I was expecting to be blown away so to speak. These are probably the highest expectations I've ever placed on a film before. It would seem that I was setting myself up for disappointment. Ever since the Phantom Menace I've had to adjust (lower) my expectations for films. But I couldn't do that this time. I had to go in with my emotions at full throttle. These films have meant too much. And almost unbelievably, ROTK fulfilled all of my expectations and then some.

ROTK is an exquisite film. By far the best of its genre. By far the best film of the year so far. It is absolutely incredible. It's mindblowing, exhilirating, moving, and exhausting (in a good way). The scope of the film is massive and yet the character moments are intimate. The film is such an accomplishment on so many different levels, I will be shocked if it doesnt clean up at the Oscars. Whew! Ok, let me get a hold of myself again.

When I walked out of TTT a year or so ago, the first things that came out of my mouth were the problems I had with the film: Sam and Frodo not having enough screentime, Shelob being moved to ROTK, Faramir's character not being fleshed out enough (they should not have cut the flashback of Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor). But when my buddies and I walked out of the theater last night we walked in quiet awe for a few minutes. Then one of my friends looked at me and asked "what was your favorite moment?" What followed was an hour long conversation of all of our favorite moments in the film. They were so many great moments in the that we couldn't recall them all. I remembered seeing something great in the film and thinking I'm gonna talk about that later and then not being able to recall what it was. It really is that overwhelming.

Before I get into spoilers I just want to say that the most important aspect of the film for me was that, like the books, ROTK really centered on the hobbits. They all get there time to shine and rightly so. The story is after all about the smallest person being able to to make the biggest difference.

T-gun
The excitement is building! This film is going to rock.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote