Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Richard Wagner

He was a German composer, wrote some famous operas (Die Walküre, Lohengrin, Die Göttersdammerüng).

Today I was talking to this guy I know from school, and LotR came up, and he started to tell me the 'story behind Lord of the Rings', which apparently involves the music composer Richard Wagner in some way, but the tram came and he had to leave before he told me anything.

Does anyone know what this could be about?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I don't think I've ever heard of a connection between Wagner and Tolkien. I believe Wagner did write an opera that had the word 'ring' or 'rings' in the title. If there's anything more than that, I'd be interested to hear it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Yup, there have been a few comparisons between Wagner's The Nibelungenlied and Tolkiens LotR........mostly unfounded (Wagner's composition being founded solely on folktales/lore.

If your interested here's a site that has most of the tale (a la Wagner).

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/nblng/index.htm

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:19 AM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I've read similar things-it's largely argued the link is tenuous at best. And of course Wagner has his own...agenda shall we say.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

lotr and music should stay away from eachother!

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I've attended several performances of Wagner's Ring Cycle, and there are similarities... but so what? There are many similar themes in various mythologies: hero falls and is redeemed by a valiant deed/death, an article of great power/value corrupts those who desire it, blah blah blah.

As for Wagner's politics, I've always thought he was a vile person, but have been able to view his work separately from his politics. So many artists are creeps -- I work in the art world, and know this from personal experience -- one has to divorce their personalities from their work.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Mercutio

A serious connection is the nature of Wagner and Tolkien's tales. Both the Ring Cycle and Lord of the Rings deal with an age of gods/supernatural beings/etc. that eventually is ended, followed by the dawn of the age of men.

[I was visiting colleges and sitting in on classes, one of which discussed Wagner's Valkeryie/Siegfried/something like that from the Ring. The professor very briefly mentioned this.]

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe the connection is because they used similar sources of lore for their work? Didn't they both draw on Norse mythology?

Plus, "The Ring Cycle" probably leads people to draw false conclusions like Khamûl said.

What would be the connection anyway? Are people suggesting Tolkien ripped off Wagner? *prepares to stab*
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

They do both draw upon Norse mythology, but Wagner's work is a direct re-telling of the Norse Edda, whereas Tolkien's work was inspired by it. And I will always forever love Tolkien for not including that sissy siegfried into the Middle-Earth works.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Amen.

Siegfried = TEH HATEZOR!!!!

Tolkien's characters = Teh roxorz.

Annnnd there we have it.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
What would be the connection anyway? Are people suggesting Tolkien ripped off Wagner? *prepares to stab*

Just the similarity in grand epic stories.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Amen.

Siegfried = TEH HATEZOR!!!!

Tolkien's characters = Teh roxorz.

Annnnd there we have it.
Well, that almost makes me want to forgive you for editing me twice, monkey boy. Almost.
*wedgies tessar to see if he really is a boy
Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 AM   #13
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
And I will always forever love Tolkien for not including that sissy siegfried into the Middle-Earth works.
You gotta cut 'Ziggy' some slack Anna! He was the product of inbreeding for god's sake! Besides, one could argue that some 'Siegrfried' influnces exist in the stories of Turin and Aragorn.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
And I will always forever love Tolkien for not including that sissy siegfried into the Middle-Earth works.
But he did. Only Tolkien was clever enough to name him Turin instead of Siegfried.

And doesn't that happen to be your favourite Silmarillion story, if I'm not mistaken?

Busted!

This is so costing me my pants, isn't it?

If it does, please also nick those of olsonm because I now see he mentioned that comparison first.

Last edited by Earniel : 04-23-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Bollocks. Bollocks. Bollocks. Turin can in no way be compared with Siegfried. The incestuous relationship occurred at different levels. Siegfried was a product of incest, whereas Turin was IN an incestuous relationship. In any case, incest is a favourite in mythological works. Siegfried lusted after and rejected a valkyrie, Turin lusted after his sister. If you are going to draw comparisons, then Turin can be compared to Siegfried's father - Sigmund.

From wikipedia: Túrin also resembles Sigmund, the father of Sigurd in the Volsungasaga, in the incestuous relationship he has with his sister, which is a parallel to the marriage of Turin and Nienor. In Richard Wagner's opera, Die Walkure (also drawn in part from the Volsung myths), Siegmund and Sieglinde are parallels of Túrin and Nienor (one interesting resemblance of Túrin to Siegmund is that in the first act of Die Walkure, Siegmund tells Hunding is name is Wehwalt, just as Túrin tells the elves of Nargothrond his name is Agarwaen (blood-stained).)

<edit> Although, I guess you could say that they both exhibited large quantities of arrogance - which led to their respective downfalls.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-23-2006 at 09:08 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Bollocks. Bollocks. Bollocks.

<edit> Although, I guess you could say that they both exhibited large quantities of arrogance - which led to their respective downfalls.
How quickly you back-pedaled. Sigmund never killed a dragon. And Nienor under the dragon spell of forgetfullness is similar to Siegfried under the spell of the love poition. But all that pales compared to the most striking similarity: They both lived with an extremely whiny dwarf. You can't spell Mime without Mim. Case closed.

Last edited by olsonm : 04-23-2006 at 02:08 PM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I respectfully disagree. Whilst there are surface similarities, the characters are not the same, IMO. And there are lots of divergences between the two tales as well (the dragons were both killed for differing reasons, the spells were cast on different characters, the lack of "gods"/valkyrie equivalents) at any rate. I still think Turin bears more resemblance to Sigmund than to Siegfried. And it was hardly back-pedalling - it just occurred to me that Turin's arrogance could be comparable to Siegfried. *shrug* They both had kick-ass swords though. *grin

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

And there's the talking sword in both stories, if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention the manner of slaying the dragon is eerily similar.

So BoP, you're just in denial, and no, it's not a river in Egypt.

But gah, the Nibelungen myth is one of the most confusing I know, the endless versions that exist! I can never remember who's who with Sigurd-Sigfried nonsense.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #19
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
I still think Turin bears more resemblance to Sigmund than to Siegfried.
I notice that you side-stepped the Aragorn comparison. I will agree that Turin is closer to Sigmund then Seigfried. You'll note that I said only some influences existed. I don't think any of Tolkien's character's are as, shall we say, 'mentally handicapped' as Seigfried. But in terms of being unsympathetic Ziggy is reminiscent of Feanor.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
*wedgies tessar to see if he really is a boy
Well? What happened!?