Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Tauriel, of the House of Jackson-Walsh ??

Hey you guys, so. Why, I wonder, did PeterJ & Fran Walsh feel it was necessary or, or *right* to go ahead & invent a whole new character to put into their 2-part The Hobbit film? A Mirkwood elf lady they made, named her Tauriel, apparantly, played by a nice-enough-seeming girl called Evangeline Lilly, from the hit series 'Lost'. I found this out from Collider.com This is NOT going to go down so well with, well, almost everyone who's a Tolkien devotee.

I'm actually kinda surprised PJ'd "go there," what with the backlash he got from so many of us when he twisted storylines & character depictions up in his film adapts of Two Towers & Return.

This, though, is markedly different: This is actually inventing a whole new character, completely non-canonical, and then giving her a major role (she's gonna lead a faction of Thranduil Mirkwood elves, being a lady elven warrior captain in the Battle of the Five Armies or something) and- well, isn't this kind of bald-faced adultering of the actual Tolkien novel seem a little fanficcy? And gratuitous? And just- not right, at all, even if it makes for good movie?

I do love dear old Peter Jackson, despite his little filmic foibles of the past, (misrepresentation of Faramir, dumbing down of Gimli, killing Saruman with Wormtongue on Orthanc, he got Gandalf right, tho, and Legolas, too, minus the durrr-moments & shield-surfing, etc.) but. This may possibly be going just a weebit too far. It better work.

What say you?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote