Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
Darth Tater
The man

Insomnia (Christopher Nolan remake)

See this movie. Plain and simple. Then come back here and discuss it, because you will definately want to. The director of Memento has done it again. No, this isn't Memento, so don't go in with that expectation. It's a very different movie, that happens to actually take place in a forward manner. It's still a brilliant flick though, and it still plays with your mind. Once again Nolan is working with non-traditional storytelling. This movie really has no beginning and end, it's just a middle when you think about it, though the story is told so naturally you don't realise this at first, you just know that something is most definately not normal here. Dody Dorn once again proves to be a genius. The editing certainly isn't the center of the movie, but there's a sequence while driving towards the end of the movie that shows the feeling of insomnia so brilliantly, one can't help but think there may be a second Oscar chance. The big question you'll come away with, though, is "who won?" There's not an easy answer.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #2
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I loved this movie. Just watching it made me a little tired, which is a good thing because that means it is a good movie to affect you so much. The plot twists are totally unpredictable and amazing at the same time. I highly recommend it!
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:21 AM   #3
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Definitely a good movie. Made me shiver. And the way the line between good and bad blurs sometimes is great. Much more than just a murder mystery.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Full review coming eventually, when I catch up... I'm about three months behind.

In short, I thought this was a very involving film. I've never seen the original, but the amount of depth in how the film explores the psychology of the characters is astounding.

Is this thread a spoilers-allowed zone?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

I suppose so considering there's no way in hell you can discuss this movie without talking about major spoilers.

Did anyone else get the mild hint that Maura Teirney's character slept with Pacino's?
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #6
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Did anyone else get the mild hint that Maura Teirney's character slept with Pacino's?
I might get the hint if I watch it again. Which is Maura Teirney, the bartender or the cop?
The other thing that's funny about your question is that Pacino's character didn't do any 'sleeping' at all.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:15 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The bartender. And no, I just got the impression that she was so tired she collapsed on the bed. And yes, he didn't sleep, so that's not really possible in any case...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
Darth Tater
The man

You know what I meant I think the implication was intentional, and I think it gives us an interesting insight into Pacino's character. I get the sense that he would never have done that before, but the combination of seeing himself as a bad cop and losing his mind due to the Insomnia pushed him to the one person he felt understood him, simply because she was hiding as well.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

No, he doesn't sleep with her. She says people were complaining about noise, they have a talk, she falls asleep with ALL clothes ON as we see hugging a pillow. They didn't do anything together.

And yes, brilliant flick. Love it to death.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:17 PM   #10
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Its playing next week the campus theater (U of Wis Milwaukee). I'm definitely going to see it again (for free!).
Old 11-29-2002, 12:46 PM   #11
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Hated this movie...Saw the original ages ago, and rented both this week so I could watch them back to back. Has anyone out there seen both versions? I think the Nordic Screen Production directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg is so superior! The character development, the editing, and above all, the ending, are infinitely better in the original. Why is Hollywood so terrified of moral ambiguity?
Old 01-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just saw this last night (I have to wait till most stuff comes out on video because of expense) and thought it was AMAZING. I didn't realize it was a remake though. Christopher Nolan really deserves some recognition for the excellent films he's making.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote