Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2002, 02:21 PM   #1
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Lyrics or Music?

What does everybody believe, in regards to songs is more important, music or lyrics?

I would say music is more important as music is a lot more memorable while it can still touch emotions. However, it depends on the artist or group, Jimi Hendrix isn't a great lyricist but a great guitarist and the opposite can be said for Dylan and to some people The Beatles to an extent.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
Well that is an easy one. you can't have lyrics with out the music, and though people may disagree, you can't have music without the lyrics.
The opinion of a singer.
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Hmmm, depend on what message the song is trying to convey..

As CBG said Dylan was a great lyricist and his words can be delivered without music and stand alone as poetry. So IMO the music is secondary to the lyrics in his works.

Then of course there is a lot of music where the lyrics are purely incidental, Dance/House/etc etc.

I suppose everyone differs in this, which is why we all have different tastes in music

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:23 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

For me, it is usually the music. I'm not terribly good at discerning what they're singing anyway (ol' deafie!); but then again, maybe it's both. I don't know. The whole package does it for me....
Old 10-26-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Music, definitely. Classic music, music without lyrics, is still music. But what are lyrics without music? Poetry, and yes, some poetry is so moving, with such an easy flow, that it seems to create its own music. Still, poetry is not usually considered a song unless it comes with music.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 07:21 PM   #6
Jadera
Elven Warrior

I believe that the lyrics are definitely important. The words and poignancy of a song can make or break it, depending on how it affects people and their emotions. (So says the lyricist. )

On the other hand, music alone can move a person to dance, sing, cry, or just think as much as music paired with lyrics. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in ways of movement and feeling.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
Dussander
Enting

About the comment 'no lyrics no music' (simplified), it's not true, classical for example its perfect without words, of course if you are some pansy-ass pop group your music sucks so you have to think of good lyrics, which too suck.
So REAL music is in the eye of the beer holder.
Dussander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

I generally enjoy a song for the music rather than the lyrics, but I do love some songs even better because the lyrics are really good, too. But song lyrics do allow me to "participate" in a song by singing along, something I can't do with instrumental songs (with those I can only participate by dancing -- very hard to do when driving ).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:22 PM   #9
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

As I said in the 'favorite song' thread, some of my favorites are MetallicA's instrumentals. They're like an epic poem in purely musical form. The songs are made so much better because they doesn't focus on the words. Any attempts to add lyrics would taint the beautiful melodies. Of course, there are plenty of songs that would be boring or even annoying w/o lyrics. System of a Down would be nothing w/o Serj Tankian . . .
So I guess it all depends on what kind of music you listen to.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:37 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hmm, it's really hard to tell.

I despise music with bad lyrics, but often times I won't notice how bad the lyrics are if the music behind it is good (though this isn't often).

Actual musical chords can really hit me hard, and bring tears to my eyes, and when combined with the correct words I can all out bawl.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:18 AM   #11
Kallasilya
Hobbit

The BEST songs are the ones that effectively combine the lyrics with the music. I guess I kind of avoided the question there, but oh well
Old 10-28-2002, 05:04 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

I think music is more important. After all, i love a lot of instrumentals, and a ton of classical music, much or most of it (at least what I listen too) has no lyrics. But just lyrics is poetry. I love poetry, but it is not music. However, I think for me to really like an artist they should have good lyrics. As long as the lyrics aren't horrible I don't mind, though. Bad music I won't even touch. So altoghter, music is way more important.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:30 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Music, music, music! I really don't care about lyrics, good ones are nice, but heck, half the time I can't even understand the lyrics. Now, the lyrics need to be sung in a beautiful, uplifting, melodic fashion. But as to the actual words, It doesn't matter! The melody and rhythm take me to the higher level.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:53 AM   #14
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I would say Music! A song with just the lyrics would be called something else:

Poetry...

It's the music that gets me to listen anyway. Sometimes, when I do try to memorize the lyrics so I can do more than just hum along when I hear good song, I'm a bit surprised (and amused) at what it says. However, it's the music that makes me tap a foot or a finger or sway unconsciously.

The lyrics may contain the message but the music is what makes the soul notice...

Sorry for rambling. I'm listening to a good song (read: good music) with weird lyrics. I'm listening to Suede's "She's in Fashion"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:39 AM   #15
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I would say Music! A song with just the lyrics would be called something else:

Poetry...

It's the music that gets me to listen anyway. Sometimes, when I do try to memorize the lyrics so I can do more than just hum along when I hear good song, I'm a bit surprised (and amused) at what it says. However, it's the music that makes me tap a foot or a finger or sway unconsciously.

The lyrics may contain the message but the music is what makes the soul notice...

Sorry for rambling. I'm listening to a good song (read: good music) with weird lyrics. I'm listening to Suede's "She's in Fashion"
I find it interesting that while you say this you quote Incubus lyrics in your signature. They must've made quite an impression on you for you to put them there. And without music too. However I agree that music is much more important.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:25 PM   #16
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

the music makes the first experience with a song good. The lyrics are what keep me coming back.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:13 PM   #17
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
I find it interesting that while you say this you quote Incubus lyrics in your signature. They must've made quite an impression on you for you to put them there. And without music too. However I agree that music is much more important.
Well, I'll probably quote the lyrics until they find a way for me to post mp3 clips into the sig.

Having said that, as well as what I posted earlier, I'd have probably posted another line or poem from someone else who'd have written a similar statement to their lyrics.

Say, Invictus, by William Earnest Henley:
Quote:
Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole. I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, looms but the horror of the shade, and yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.
I remembered (and enjoyed) the Incubus lyrics because of the music. But then that's just me.

*closes his eyes while listening and singing along to Oasis:
Some day you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky...

*sighs and falls asleep at 03:12...*

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:08 PM   #18
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think for me it is the music, but it really depends on the song. I could like a song with lousy lyrics, but really good chords, but not vice versa. Some of the chords in Beatles songs just blow me away. Lyrics can touch you, I often put them in my signatures and its fun to sing along to them. But the music is definitely number one.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:57 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

I do the same thing, Arathorn. I think music is more important but I quote lyrics sometimes actually. Yeah...I guess that's all I was going to say. Incubus rocks.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:29 PM   #20
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

It depends on the type of music. Acapella (only lyrics) music can be quiet wonderful and moving and so can symphony (no lyrics).

Incubus does rock, though. A perfect blend of strangely mystifying lyrics and awesome music makes for a great sound.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote