Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Who is Frodo?

I keep hearing everyone talking about this guy named Frodo who is he and what is his part int the LotR?
Old 02-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #2
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

He is the Ringbearer. His task is to bring the Master Ring to Orodruin in Mordor, and destroy the Ring. In doing so, he will destroy Sauron, Enemy of the Free Peoples.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Oh very interesting and who is sauron?
what does he want with a worthless ring?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Eh? Err....Sauron's the Dark Lord of Middle Earth. He was once a lieutenant to Melkor (or Morgoth) who was the first Dark Lord. He convinced the Elven (or Elvish?) smiths to forge the Rings of Power yet he forged the One Ring (the ones that Frodo gets) in secret in Orodruin (Mount Doom).
The history of the ring is long and complex. The ring was first taken from him when he was defated by Isildur's forces iin the Second Age. Isildur chopped Sauron's ring finger off of him and took the ring. However, Isildur did not destroy the ring, he kept it He was eventually ambushed by orcs and slain near the River Anduin. The ring fell into the fast flowing Anduin and got buried in the silt of the riverbed.
A long, long time later Deagol (a hobbit) finds the ring in the Anduin. Smeagol (better known as Gollum, a hobbit at this time) kills Deagol and takes the Ring on his birthday, and to Gollums dying day he insisted the Ring was his Birthday Present. Gollum flees the hobbits and takes refuge in the Mountains. He spends a century or two in here, gradually evolving out of hobbit form and into a more appropriate form for a dark, damp underground lake.
But Thorin Oakenshield and Company come through the Mountain with the famed Bilbo Baggins (Frodo's uncle), on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain. Bilbo gets seperated from the main party and finds Smeagol (by then known as Gollum) and finds the Ring that Gollum misplaced ( OR as some people claim the Ring deliberately tried to escape Gollum and was, by pure chance, picked up by Bilbo). He has a riddle contets with Gollum and he wins. Bilbo puts on the ring this making him invisble and follows Gollum oiut of the Mountain. Bilbo rejoins company etc...and eventually comes back to Bag End. Sixty years later the War of the Ring begins and the Ring passes to Frodo whos task it is to destroy it.
There a brief summary of the history of Sauron and the Ring without going into too much depth. ANd may I ask why are you posting here without having read even the first book?
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Hey Legolas, what have you been smoking?
Old 02-08-2002, 02:11 PM   #6
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

he's just screwing around trying to up his posts and get attention. T_T*
Old 02-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
dark over lord
Hobbit

radgast, the ring did abondon gollum gandalf said so in FoTR "The Ring has a will of it's own"
The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic, for now I find, I have no choice at all. I am a warrior, let the battled be joined.

-dinobot, and me, before i went and got myself shot-

The sleeper has awakend, i am the prince of all sayans once again-Vegeta-
Closed Thread