Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2004, 05:16 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Lost In Translation

Anybody seen it? It's been pulled from most theatres since it's been out since October, but awards season might bring it back. I managed to catch it today (finally) and I must say, it was impressive. I can't really think of another film offhand that captures the feeling of being bored and aimless in a big city quite like what I saw here. Lost In Translation is a small piece in scope, and probably not too suited for those of you who never see arthouse or independent film, but it's adorable in all its subtleties.

Finely crafted, highly recommended.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:52 AM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I saw it on Saturday and it was great! So many lovely touches, such realistic dialogue and
no gratuitously shmaltzy multiplex-friendly ending.

What do you reckon to the double+ meanings of the title? I wondered if it referred to their age difference. So many times you see films like this where there's an ageing male who gets off with some gorgeous, pouting 25-year-old female, and you just think "aye, right" (e.g. Horse Whisperer). But here it seemed like it was the subject of the movie and genuinely an (unspoken but clearly realised by the director) obstacle to their relationship.

Also, their linguistic alienation from everyone around them was superbly played.

Some fantastic little moments, too. The "chat show", "lip my tights", the reflections in the elevator doors.

So good that it made me want to pay on the way out too.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
What do you reckon to the double+ meanings of the title? I wondered if it referred to their age difference. So many times you see films like this where there's an ageing male who gets off with some gorgeous, pouting 25-year-old female, and you just think "aye, right" (e.g. Horse Whisperer). But here it seemed like it was the subject of the movie and genuinely an (unspoken but clearly realised by the director) obstacle to their relationship.
I think there was definitely some subtext in that regard - along with their respective marriages, you could see that it was among the factors suppressing their relationship. It's a kind of suppression that, as you pointed out, you'd never see in mainstream Hollywood.

As for the title, here's what I got out of it: Your two main characters are "lost" in Tokyo in their own ways, both of which involve language barriers of sorts. On one hand, you see a literal language barrier with Bob struggling to understand all the people he works with, but with very limited success. He also doesn't understand his wife anymore - for instance, what colour she means by burgundy. On the other hand, you have Charlotte, who is similarly out of place in the sense that she doesn't really communicate with her husband. Look how she's a third party and a stranger to the conversation when her husband is talking to the bubbly, ditzy actress.

In that sense I think they were both secluded by not being able to really converse with other people. Then they find one another, and they're both able to talk.

On the subject of the age difference, I think Bob was also kind of a father figure to Charlotte, and you have a very Elektra complex sort of attraction going on.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Very nicely put.

I wondered also about how much of the film was given over to imagery: the visual backdrop of Tokyo, the dinosaur on the skyscraper and sort-of familiar things like shots of TV programmes and people playing video games in arcades. Maybe another level on which the supposedly familiar was experienced as baffling and weird.

What a feast!

As for Elektra, I can't wait till I'm 60 if I can have women like Charlotte chasing after me.

On the down-side, there was a comment by a reviewer that the ending was spoiled because it defied the laws of physics. It did strike me as a bit odd at the time, but a minor complaint really.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 01-14-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I just saw this film, rather late... I loved it. What a beautiful, subtle, touching, funny, great little film! I thought it was like what you always hope films are going to be, but always just never are - particularly the ending. The feeling of being alone in a city, the language and cultural barriers (I liked the scene where they're filming the advert and the translator doesn't communicate what the director's saying), the natural friendship between them. And I loved the fact that you couldn't hear his last line. Stroke of genius
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I thought it was like what you always hope films are going to be, but always just never are - particularly the ending.
Absolutely spot on, sun-star. So often you come out of the pictures feeling like you've just been mugged by a bunch of smug, cocaine-raddled marketing executives who are planning how to spend your sick squid on sports cars and sniggering.

It's a truly great film.

Scarlett Johanssen .... *sigh* .... sorry, where was I? ah yes, fanboys might like to know what Girl with a Pearl Earring is pretty good too.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
thranduil
Elven Warrior

i love there lunch near the end and it turns out to be miserable. Everyone goes through those kind of dates. also the awkward elevator scene where he ends up kissing her twice. its so realistic its great.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 PM   #8
gdl96
the greg the admin

i loved it
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:34 AM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I enjoyed it.

Sophia Coppola got an Academy Award for Best New Director, I think that's the one.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:56 AM   #10
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Glad you enjoyed it. What did you like about it?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I just saw this film, rather late... I loved it. What a beautiful, subtle, touching, funny, great little film! I thought it was like what you always hope films are going to be, but always just never are - particularly the ending. The feeling of being alone in a city, the language and cultural barriers (I liked the scene where they're filming the advert and the translator doesn't communicate what the director's saying), the natural friendship between them. And I loved the fact that you couldn't hear his last line. Stroke of genius
Absolutely spot on. I only met one person who didn't like it (they fell asleep during and missed most of it). You're especially right about the ending!
Even though you failed to abide by spoiler policy!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.

Last edited by Janny : 03-07-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #12
gdl96
the greg the admin

My parents didnt like it and some of my friends (the same ones who hated Pulp Fiction) didn't care for it either. I need new friends.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

I just saw it today. I ahd been meaning to- I thought it might be interesting since I am studying Japanese. I thought it was pretty good, overall. It kept me interested the whole time, and for me, that's saying a lot.
Near the beginning, when that director was talking, all I managed to understand (besides particles and verb endings) was "kamera -o mitte" or "look at the camera", and then, that was the translation. Cool. Actually, I don't know if this has any significance, but I noticed that at first he was using polite forms, and then he started using more informal language.
I liked the video arcade too. Looked like fun.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:02 PM   #14
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I really liked this movie. It was so simple yet so wonderful. It really conveys the boredom and ackwardness that the characters must feel. I thought Bill Murray did a really good job in it.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I know this thread is old, but I just saw the movie and decided to bump it.

Oh. my.

I decided to rent it on PPV because I was lonely and bored, and I knew it was about lonely and bored people. I think Sophia Coppola did an amazing job at capturing boredom and the reality of awkward situations. Instead of the overdone, hollywood style awkwardness of most movies (particularly teen ones ::shudder:: ) it was so realistic. The elevator scene is so true to life. I've had a similar thing happen, and I got shivers. I also related to how uncomfortable and bored Charlotte seemed in the conversation with her husband and the blonde actress. Oh, have I been there.

Also, I think I halfway understood the last line:
Don't worry about being mean, just always tell the truth.

At least, that's what it sounded like.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 06-20-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I seem to be the only one on here who thought it was a snoozer. I think I posted my thoughts in the Movies You've Just Seen thread, but I just think the whole premise is pointless. There are some good moments, but as for best original screenplay, no way. Finding Nemo had a MUCH better one, IMO -- tight plot, engaging characters, etc.
I enjoy a good independant film (as to IP's comment that those who don't like them might not like this), but I just felt like in the end this one was a waste of a rental. My advice to people who haven't seen it: don't bother. A movie about two people being bored in Tokyo is just that: boring. Why go along for the ride? If you want a good movie about real life, rent American Splendor instead.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I am really late on this one. Sorry guys. I watched it here in Tokyo an it was kinda of strange watching scene that is literally around the corner from from were you are watching it.

I don't think it was a GREAT film but it was pleasant and obviously being in Tokyo I could identify with many things the characters dealt with.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
Janny
The Blobbit

I think when one's never been to Tokyo but know enough about it to recognise the situation then one sees it as a great film.

One? I know, too much time with Jeeves.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 AM   #19
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

To me, the fact that it was set in Tokyo was secondary, it could have been Moscow or Mexico City or any big, modern city where there is linguistic and cultural alienation but lots of semi-familiar icons. Maybe it would be a bit annoying if you did know Tokyo well and recognised rampant stereotyping or misrepresentation.

It really captured that disorientating feeling of not knowing where anything is, how it works or even what it says, being completely dependent on others and knowing that you're only there for a couple of days so there's no incentive to go and find out for yourself.

I had a similar experience in Taiwan a few years back. It's quite a mind-bender to wander down a street and see NOTHING in any kind of writing you even recognise, let alone understand. One evening I switched on the telly and saw myself doing the talk I had given that afternoon in the background while the local news reporter talked over it (probably "British windbag appalls respected audience with senseless diatribe")! The totally surreal sense was not helped by the aftershocks from the earthquake that had happened the previous week. So anyway, I identified with Bill Murray's character.

Unfortunately, the similarity is rather tenuous as I didn't get off with Scarlett Johansson I should also say that I had a great time in Taiwan, and the people I met were extremely friendly and ultra-hospitable.