Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My 500th post! with thanks to lots of Mooters!

OK – here it is – my 500 post thread!! Whee!!! I'm starting it in the Middle Earth thread, because that's where I hang out the most, although I have reliable information that it will soon be moved to the General Messages forum....

First, I’d like to thank the academy - er - **wads up paper, gets out other paper** First, I’d like to say thanks to all the admins and mods who work hard to make Entmoot such a pleasant place to post. This is the first board that I’ve ever been on, and I’m so glad I discovered this one first! Thanks, Michael Martinez, for your recommendation and the link from Suite101!

For my 500th post, I decided to choose the title “Halfelven”. Although I really like LoTR (I’ve read it 8 or 9 times) and am deeply touched by its beauty, my heart is really with the elves. And though I know that it’s not real (don’t worry, you don’t need to call the men in the white coats), still I like to imagine that I have just a bit of elvish blood in me, because I am so deeply touched by the beauty of Tolkien’s works. And although R*an was a human woman, like me, (I chose her name because I have always thought it so lovely, although her story is a sad one) she was the great-grandma of Elrond Halfelven, so it’s not entirely inappropriate!

Now, I just wanted to mention and thank a couple of people:

First, I want to thank Khamûl (surprise!) – we’ve never even “talked” on a thread together, but you were the first admin I had contact with, and your pleasant and prompt answers to my newbie PMs really encouraged me to stick around. (I really really did check the FAQ’s first!!) BTW- umm, which team is the War Eagles?

Next, I’d like to say a big thank-you to my favorite admin, Sister Golden Hair! **throws Nargothrond-shaped confetti**. I’ve really appreciated your help, your common sense, your humor, and I’ve especially enjoyed talking over Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth with you!

Which leads me to the threads – SGH and Artanis, I’ve so enjoyed posting with you in Athrabeth and now Laws and Customs – our ladies’ “gab sessions” over the lesser-known works in Morgoth’s Ring have been absolutely wonderful. Thanks!

And my beloved Writing in Tengwar Characters thread – such fun to find other Tengwar writers from around the country (and the world!). What a neat thing to send some Tengwar thru Entmoot across the country and have someone else read it! Let’s get that Kansas Starbucks meeting going, TinuvielChild, katya, sminty, Menelvagor and Eärniel!

The CS Lewis thread – what amazing works this man wrote, and how I’ve enjoyed discussing them here, especially with crickhollow, the only other person in the entire world that I know of that has read and likes Till We Have Faces!

The Horses thread - (check 10/29 post - ran out of room!)

And some other Mooters not tied specifically to the above threads, but with whom I have enjoyed posting very much:

Elfmaster XK, a fellow archery lover that I can discuss the finer points of fletching and finger ledges with, and who so kindly shot off an end for me while I am tied up in the soccer season and can’t go myself.

BoP, who pops into a thread in her sheep-ly way with good posts when I least expect it - oh puhleezze stop teasing me about my lack of HoME books – I can’t staaannnd it anymore! And whatever does your name mean, anyway?

Ñólendil, whose knowledge of ME and use of diacritical marks I have enjoyed so very much (and I’ve enjoyed his wit even more, when he includes it in his posts! I’ll always think of you when I see a goose, Ñólendil! If you guys are wondering, check out the Fantasy vs. Reality thread…) He very kindly sent me all the special keyboard codes so I could put the diacritical marks in Tolkien’s characters’ names myself. Not that my stupid keyboard worked, and I ended up having to put them in my sig to cut and paste into my posts, but it was the thought that counted. (I almost wrote “diuretical marks” once – whoops!)

All my fellow Christians on the board – Go God!! He’s the greatest!! Let’s keep praying for each other – wonderful, isn’t it? And the Bible is even more beautiful than all of Tolkien’s works put together, as I’m sure he would agree.

And finally the lady that I am exchanging emails with across the miles that separate us over a sorrow that we share – I wish I could give you a hug in person, but I’ll just have to keep emailing instead. Let’s keep encouraging each other! (and yes, I can type terrifically fast – that’s why I can write such long-winded posts and still get dinner on the table! Except we had Pollo Loco tonight, to celebrate my new status.)

And I’m sure I forgot some people, so please forgive me and keep posting with me anyway. Thanks again so much, people! Now I absolutely MUST go and do some laundry!!

--Sharon (aka R*an)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-29-2002 at 09:59 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to general messages.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well CHEERS! Rian, I'm so glad you are happy! It's nice to have friends who understand! Liz
Old 10-25-2002, 11:52 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Geez, SGH! You are one fast queen of Nargothrond! I was busy typing in my edits (adding all those diacritical marks cut from my sig!) when I suddenly was whooshed into General Messages! My head is still spinning!

Hey Liz! Thanks! And Cheers to you, too!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-26-2002, 12:29 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
Geez, SGH! You are one fast queen of Nargothrond! I was busy typing in my edits (adding all those diacritical marks cut from my sig!) when I suddenly was whooshed into General Messages! My head is still spinning!

OOPS! Sorry.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:27 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Typical SGH. I'm sure it's a plot to steal our HoME books. *counts 'em.* Yep, still have 11 of the 12.

Congrats Rian. It has been a pleasure "encountering" you in the threads.

(Will stop bragging about my HoME books now. )
Old 10-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: My 500th post! with thanks to lots of Mooters!

Congrats to you R*an, and I've been enjoying talking to you as well.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:54 AM   #8
Rían

Thanks BoP and Artanis

Pretty new avatar, Artanis - is it Galadriel?

Old 10-26-2002, 11:21 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Typical SGH. I'm sure it's a plot to steal our HoME books. *counts 'em.* Yep, still have 11 of the 12.

(Will stop bragging about my HoME books now. )
Nope BoP. Have all the HoMe books I want. Watch out for your"letters" book. I am eyeing it.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:48 PM   #10
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

*tosses more confetti* Congratulations, Sharon!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:52 PM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Pretty new avatar, Artanis - is it Galadriel?
Yes, she is on the swan-boat singing her lament when the Fellowship is leaving Lórien. It's a detail from a lovely, much larger pic by Ted Nasmith.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:23 PM   #12
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Congrats! I wonder what my post count would be now if I hadn't left forever. Oh well! Excellent choice for your title! Can't wait till I hit the big Five Double Zero! Who knows what I'll choose for my title, or how many times I'll change it. Even though you don't know me, I am still insulted that you did not include me individually in your list of thanks, so I will assume you nicknamed me academy. There. No hard feelings!

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:42 PM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Re: My 500th post! with thanks to lots of Mooters!

Quote:
First, I want to thank Khamûl (surprise!) – we’ve never even “talked” on a thread together, but you were the first admin I had contact with, and your pleasant and prompt answers to my newbie PMs really encouraged me to stick around. (I really really did check the FAQ’s first!!) BTW- umm, which team is the War Eagles?
Thanks for the thank you. Actually, to tell you the truth... *whispers* I'm not an admin. I'm only a super-moderator. And the "War Eagles" are actually my beloved Auburn Tigers. They're the tigers, but their battle cry is War Eagle. It's a long story...

Anyway, I'm glad that you have enjoyed your time here at Entmoot.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:45 PM   #14
Rían

Aragorn - LOL!

Old 10-26-2002, 11:10 PM   #15
Dussander
Enting

Don't know you, but I suppose it's a big event (for some) so Congrats.
Dussander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 11:52 PM   #16
Rían

Thanks, crick! *throws Lewis-shaped confetti* Whee!! See you over in CSL thread

Thanks, Dussander - and welcome, and I hope you like it here. Start planning your custom title, you get to choose one when you reach 500 posts

Khamûl - hmmm, should you start a thread explaining that one? (eagles, tigers - ??? - lions, tigers, bears - oh my??) I'll ask my Dad if he's heard of them - he's a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech

*runs to hide "Letters" from SGH* ....

Old 10-27-2002, 04:54 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Awww, I'm mentioned! *wipes a tear away*

Congrats on hitting the 500 posts, R*an! Hope to see you around here long enough to double that postcount or so.

Quote:
Watch out for your"letters" book. I am eyeing it.
Good thing mine is in Dutch then.

Last edited by Earniel : 10-27-2002 at 07:31 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:07 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Congrats R*an!!! you're very fsat, you know. In my first month (two monthes) I had 50 posts, I think.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:14 PM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

i well done. Unlike me some of your posts are also spelt correctally (and have a point)
Old 10-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #20
Rían

Thanks, Eärniel Do I get any of your famous chocolate bars? I haven't ever had any What, do you think I'm overweight or something? But yours don't have any calories! (at least by the time they squeeze thru the phone wires ) How's the Tengwar - I'm hoping someone will post some soon, I'm dying to see more samples from people!

*SGH runs by the bookstore and picks up "Dutch in 10 easy lessons" *