Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Place your Bets

Yes most of the mooters have heard most the rumours, reviews, everything. Most of us know alot of what "suppossedly" is going to happen in ROTK. Now that youre informed can you handle the movie better. Enjoy it and look past the changes?

As for myself I know almost everything about the film, the good and the bad. (if it is true) I'm hoping that since I've been warned of disturbing changes, that they will not be as hard of a blow, than if I found out about them in the middle of the movie. So I'm expecting to enjoy this movie much more since I've been warned. Or else all of our expectations seem to be so low for this film that it wouldn't take much to make us enjoy it. For the first two I stayed spoiler free and the films were ruined the first time because I was unprepared for the modifications.

So I'm voting I will enjoy this film.

note- this thread obviously isn't to critiscize but to state if you think you will enjoy the movie. like hot ticket, hot or not?

Hot!
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I've read the spoilers, so I'm prepared. But because this is "the end", no matter how it is done, I will not enjoy it as much as the beginning, darn it!
Old 12-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: Place your Bets

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
Now that youre informed can you handle the movie better. Enjoy it and look past the changes?
On the whole, I will probably enjoy the film, although I will probably find parts of the film that I will not be happy about.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
thranduil
Elven Warrior

"all good things come to an end." but it is the most emotional of the three. And I'm really looking forward to GH most of all.
So far.

Predictions:

hots=6
nots=2

Last edited by thranduil : 12-08-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:41 AM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I've been able to look past the changes in the first two and still came out liking the movies a lot. I've been able to separate the two for what they both respectfully are. I guess for me the biggest things are that ME has been created and put together better than I had imagined, with the scenery and all of that. Plus I still think the general theme of the books hasn't been lost. The way I see it, there have been things changed or omitted that didn't do damage to the theme and outcome of the story, which made the plotline continue on it's way.

If I am to be critical of any of the movies it will be Return of the King, because it is my favorite book. Out of any changes that affect the theme, in my opinion, the Scouring of the Shire will be the biggest, so I guess we will see how they get past something like that. Paths of the Dead is my favorite out of the entire work, so I will be watching that closely, even with some of the changes I've already heard about.

Ultimately though I am sure I will still enjoy the movies. In about 4 reviews that I've read, they are saying that the people watching were all crying, so with that hopefully we can see our story on the emotional level it was written as...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:06 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Now that I've been warned of the worst 'plot abuses', I will heartily enjoy it in theatres.

I Predict:

I will have a great time

I will only go once (to the theatre)

I won't be particularly moved (emotionally)

I won't buy the DVD. I haven't bought the other ones either, and now I don't think I'll bother. (I might get FotR, EE since it was my favourite of the three.)

FotR will remain my favourite of the three.

I will cringe at the worst plot abuses, even though I have been warned, but I won't be upset or pissed off. It has been a long road, but I'm (nearly) passed that now.

I will continue to re-read and enjoy the books for the rest of my life.

Overall, I will like the movie and enjoy watching it, but once is probably enough.

That's a lot of predictions, but I'm psychic.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

My predictions:
I will watch RotK in the theatre several times.
I will cry at the Grey Havens. Every time.
I will have mixed feelings for the movie for a long time, as I still have mixed feelings for TTT.
I will buy the EE.
I will still cry at the Grey Havens. Every time.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I predict:

It will be one of my favorite viewing experiences of all time--including the glorious anticipation leading up to Midnight.

It will be more emotional than either of the first two movies.

Sean Astin will have a breakout performance.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm sure i'll love it... too many good scenes to look forward to irregardless of changes... i'll be anticipating the final EE too

i'll probably do what i have done with every movie so far... take off work and go by myself to a 11am show... every year at xmas we have gone with the whole extended family, and i will again this time... but i like that first time without the twenty questions from my kids and wife ... some of them have read the books, but i am the ultimate authority in the group... and with great power comes great responsibility
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
"all good things come to an end." but it is the most emotional of the three. And I'm really looking forward to GH most of all.
So far.

Predictions:

hots=6
nots=2
-ride now for ruin, and the worlds ending!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good plan, bj. Must think about doing that. My son has is just finishing the book and wants to go and see the film with me, so I'll probably opt for that shared thing.

I'm betting that I'll be blown away by the visuals but don't want to make any predictions on the story (I've been wrong every time with FOTR and TTT).

I share BB's faith that Sean Astin will shine; he's been great to date.

I hope they don't wait too long to bring out the EE (though they probably will to make sure that people buy both).
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:37 PM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I doubt I'll like it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #13
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I think I'll like it more than TTT, but not as much as FOTR.

Yeah, I agree about Sean Astin having a great performance... his role/acting having let me down in the first two.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I predict:

It will be one of my favorite viewing experiences of all time--including the glorious anticipation leading up to Midnight.

It will be more emotional than either of the first two movies.

Sean Astin will have a breakout performance.
1) And I wish you all the best in your enjoyment. Though I'm not anticipating it like I did FotR or even TTT, I am still looking forward to it anyway.

2) Agree

3) Sean Astin is great! I've always thought he did a good job. I think the guy who plays Faramir, and Mirando Otto will have great performances. Though sadly, the last two won't have many scenes together.

I also still think my original predictions.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #15
gdl96
the greg the admin

I can't wait for this. I am very much looking forward to it. If only I had time to reread the book. I tried to reread TTT last year, but I only ended up reading the first few chapters.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #16
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
My predictions: I will watch RotK in the theatre several times. I will cry at the Grey Havens. Every time. I will have mixed feelings for the movie for a long time, as I still have mixed feelings for TTT. I will buy the EE. I will still cry at the Grey Havens. Every time.
Me too! oh! I remember how much I hated the books when I finished them. They were too sad! I hated them and loved them at the same time.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #17
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I think/hope it will be better than TTT. I doubt I'll like it better than FOTR. I'm sure there will be scenes I don't like, but I'm sure there will be great parts to it too.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:51 PM   #18
Silpion
Elven Warrior

Will I enjoy ROTK with its changes?
<<<shakes Magic 8 Ball>>>
answer: outlook not so good

I predict, I will be entranced by the visual "look" of the movie. Storywise, I think I am going to be disappointed. That's fine, predictions can be wrong. I'll wait and see.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:14 PM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I predict I will love certain parts of the ROTK and hate certain parts of the ROTK; that I will love it overall; and that I will be crying at the end. Nothing is going to surprise me in the movie, so at least I won't be getting too angry at the changes PJ made.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:53 PM   #20
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'm thankful for all of the spoilers that have been posted so I won't be upset at the changes. I'll keep reminding myself - "It's a movie, it's not the book" so I'll enjoy the movie as a movie. Afterwards, my husband will get bored with me telling him all of the ways that "it wasn't that way in the book!"
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote