Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Jimi Hendrix

Does anyone agree with me when I say that Jimi Hendrix is perhaps the best guitarist ever?

I don't know if there is another thread like this. I did a search and nothing turned up....

What's your favorite song of his? Best guitar rift?

Anyone think that there is a better guitarist?
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I agree. He's definitely perhaps the best ever.

There's a thread somewhere on guitar heroes. BB King is a personal fave too.

Hard to say about favourite tunes. Things that spring to mind would be Red House, his Woodstock set, 3rd Stone from the Sun.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 03-18-2004 at 02:25 PM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

This will probably get closed then.

But I felt like there needed to be a thread that concentrated on Hendrix. He deserves it after all.

I also find it hard to pick a favorite. He has so many good songs that it really is quite impossible to pick just a few. I change my mind nearly everyday depending on what mood I'm in. Recently I've been listening to alot of "Little Wing".
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 03-18-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

indisputably the best in my eyes

some of my favorites:

"machine gun" off of band of gypsies

"red house" off of live at winterland

"third stone from the sun" and "manic depression" off of are you experienced

"rainy day, dream away" and the bluesy "voodoo chile" off of electric ladyland

and everything else
Old 03-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

omg, isn't he the best? my favs are "purple haze" and his AWESOME rendition of the star spangled banner

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:22 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It seems like he never played the same tune the same way twice. Died at 27, leaving a huge influence. A modern Mozart?

I do have one crap album of his. It's a rambling jamming session with Lonnie Youngblood where it sounds like they're both stoned.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
Beor
founder of the color blue

Jimi Hendrix is an excellent guitarist, but I find it hard to compare him, and say, Jimmy Page. They both have two totally different styles of guitar, and they are both excellent. Now, if you went with Jimi's blues and Stevey Ray's blues, I would say that Steve does a better job, but he still cant rock like Jimi. One thing that I do like about Jimi's style is that it is totally driven from the soul (or sounds that way, at least), or maybe more appropriately, from a constant supply of acid.

Jimi Hendrix is definitely a kick-ass guitarist, though, definitely among the top ten (my top ten, anyway)

Favorite song, Voodoo Child or Hey Joe, though I reallly like it when he just jams away. Jammin' rocks!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
I do have one crap album of his. It's a rambling jamming session with Lonnie Youngblood where it sounds like they're both stoned.
Hendrix probably was.

Quote:
Favorite song, Voodoo Child or Hey Joe, though I reallly like it when he just jams away. Jammin' rocks!
Voodoo Child is amazing, and Foxey Lady - I have the live version and it ROCKS!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #9
gdl96
the greg the admin

I love the opening of Voodoo Child.

Some of my other favorites include:
Crosstown Traffic
All Along the Watchtower
Hey Joe
Castles Made of Sand
Star Spangled Banner
Manic Depression
etc
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I love Hendrix. My favourite songs are: Hey Joe, Little Wing, All Along the Watchtower, Voodoo Child, and If 6 was 9.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:40 AM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

oh ok is this where we just list Hendrix songs? Looks like the ones I like the most have already been listed. Rather then just add another silly YEAH! HE ROCKS! post to this thread I have a question for people: If Hendrix had lived what do you think we would think of him now? Would he have continued to be innovative and clever or would he quickly grow hacknied and just another rock dinosaur like the stones or some others playing Purple Haze decade after decade? Would he have gone in a different direction? Maybe jazz? Or would he have sunk himself completely into the blues and become a blues rock jammist in the style of a stevie ray vaughan? or would he have faded from the lime light like a Van Morrison only to resurface here and there over the years. I wonder. There really was nobody else quite like him and nobody else did what he did for and to rock music in the 60's so theres no real parallel you can draw to somebody else really.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:18 AM   #12
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Thanks for saving this thread.

I think that he would have continued to make amazing music for at least another 5-10 years. I don't think that he would want to turn into another 'dinosaur' so I think that he would continue to make new and innovative music, like the stuff that we have now, where none of the tracks are similar and they all have they're own style - unlike some guitarists who seem to repeat a tune in a different style in almost any song they write/preform. I don't think that makes sense. I think that after a while he may have stopped making music, but I don't think that he or his fans would let him fade out. Maybe he would have become a songwriter/producer as so many former musicians have done. Maybe he didn't even have plans for the future and didn't know what he wanted to do.
And I agree that there is really know one to date that can rival him or be compared to him.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:38 AM   #13
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
My Jimi Hendrix favourites:

Crosstown Traffic

Hey Joe

Purple Haze

Even though this is a JH-thread, BB King was mentioned initially so here comes my fav:

The Thrill Is Gone
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good question, IR; good answer LE.

I know nothing about what he was like as a person, so find it hard to answer. Van Morrison, you get the feeling, developed that way because he's an irascible sod. When I think of Hendrix I think untamed talent, and it's hard to see where that resides in popular music these days!

IIRC (very hazily) he was getting into more abstract jazz type stuff, which would probably lead up a total blind alley to a lifestyle of indulgent royalty spending. Do you think we would enjoy some Bowie-style reinventions? Perhaps coming back as a lightbulb twiddler in Kraftwerk?

I put side 3 of electic ladyland on the other night: totally awesome. It's hard to believe that what you're hearing is just drums, bass and guitar. It's a shame that Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding never get a mention, because they sure held their ends up.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #15
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Hmmm... what if Jimi lived? I could see a few self re-inventions with a maturation to traditional blues ala EC.

Electric Ladyland definitely the best guitar album ever.

Here My Train A'comin' (from the old Rainbow Bridge - now on Jimi Hendrix Blues) is an amazing jam.

Jimi was to rock what bird was to jazz. They took their music to a place no one else dreamed even could exist.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

I need to go check out the memorial at his gravesite.. hadn't been there in awhile.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #17
Draken
Elf Lord

I always loved 'All Along the Watchtower' from my days as a student in Sunderland. There was (still is) a lovely pub by one of the shipyards - the only bad thing about it was the jukebox. There was hardly any decent rock on it at all. So I used to put on 'All Along the Watchtower', 'The Man Who Sold the World' and 'Benny and the Jets' constantly just to keep some truly awful 70s pop off it. The fact that I'd put on an Elton John song should tell you just how bad the rest were.

So thanks to Jimi for that track especially!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Billy Bones
Hobbit

My favourite Hendrix song is Voodoo child does anyone agree that it is possibly the best Hendrix song ever
Old 01-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #19
Billy Bones
Hobbit

By the way Brownjenkings it's Voodoo child not Voodoo chile

Last edited by Billy Bones : 01-07-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Billy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

No actually it IS Voodoo Chile. Thats how Hendrix wrote it. Perhaps he should have added an apostrophe but on Electric Ladyland he didnt bother. He just wrote chile. As opposed to Voodoo Chili which would really give you heart burn...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote