Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-1999, 03:19 AM   #1
bmilder

What should LotR be rated?

What should it be rated? All the Star Wars films have been rated PG, but will LotR be a PG-13? It's probably not going to try to appeal to the under 13 crowd, so PJ shouldn't feel obligated to tone it down to PG. I don't think it needs to be R. But what will be "questionable" in it? There won't be any profanity, and probably no nudity. (Why would there be?) The only concern would be violence, but I don't think it would need to be excessive. What do you think?
Old 11-26-1999, 03:53 AM   #2
anduin

Good question bmilder!

I too think they will be PG-13, and they should be. An R rating would definitely make me wonder what PJ did with this movie.
Old 11-26-1999, 04:18 AM   #3
Hernalt

As far as the scare factor...

You have plenty of items which may put it on the scale with The Sixth Sense, which I think was PG-13. The Balrog, to actually come across as a corporeal demon, Must be imbued with some terror that you just don't find with Feddie Kruger/Candyman/Jason/etc. Also, Peter Jackson has said that for drama reasons, he'll be doing shots with Sauron. Obviously this raises the ire of those who are true to Tolkien's design that Sauron's evilness be magnified by his remoteness. But if PJ's going to pull it off, Sauron will have to possess a terror factor that is not customarily seen in things like Willow, Neverending Story, and Legend. It will have to incorporate a fraction of the malicious suspence like what went into Blair Witch. Sauron can't just come across as a ruthless tactical genius like King Edward I in Braveheart. And just having a holy evil choir like in DOTF won't cut it. These are without mentioning the Witchking, by which I intend to be scared bloodless...
Old 11-26-1999, 05:17 PM   #4
bmilder

Re: As far as the scare factor...

Yes, well I saw Blair Witch, and I'm pretty sure the only reason it got an "R" was because every other word out of their mouths started with "F" :P
Old 11-27-1999, 04:57 AM   #5
anduin

hehehe
Old 11-27-1999, 08:01 PM   #6
Darth Tater

PJ said a few months back he was aiming for PG-13, but maybe would release a DVD copy with an R raiting so he could add more blood to it.
Old 11-28-1999, 07:13 AM   #7
Elanor

I personally will be very disappointed if it's worse than PG. Horror is NOT the most important thing in the story!
Old 11-28-1999, 03:36 PM   #8
anduin

Ah, yes, but horror....

.....and evil ARE apart of the story, if left out or diluted, then what will we have? LOTR is not a children's book. How effective would it be if PJ didn't show Legolas and Gimil's "game" of killing the Orcs? I personally don't like gore, but I also don't want that scene cut up so all that you see are G and L just keeping score. The whole Witch-king slaying scene is another example. It has to be downright horrific to be effective. Water down any of these scenes or any others like them, and you lose overall, how dire the threat is to ME. Sorry if this isn't coherent, I'm sick
Old 11-29-1999, 01:20 AM   #9
Darth Tater

Re: Ah, yes, but horror....

1. Very true 2. I hope you feel better
Old 11-29-1999, 01:24 AM   #10
anduin

Thanks [b]Tater[/i]
Old 12-02-1999, 02:45 AM   #11
Darth Tater

You're welcome [b]anduin<b/>
Old 12-03-1999, 12:59 AM   #12
Hernalt

Elanor is such a nice little Hobbit...

~Hernalt gives Elanor a pretty flower~
Old 12-03-1999, 04:27 AM   #13
Elanor

Re: Elanor is such a nice little Hobbit...

Why, thanks, Hernalt! I don't know what occasioned that, but I do like flowers! Have a nice day! ~Elanor curtseys gracefully~
Old 12-04-1999, 04:03 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Re: Elanor is such a nice little Hobbit...

Um, sorry to ruin this romantic moment, but what was that about?
Old 12-05-1999, 06:25 AM   #15
Gimli the Dwarf

If the movie does't show me chopping Orc necks I will be very put-out, Though if it gets a R I will be downright angry!!!! (I don't watch R movies, and not very often pg13s either)
Old 12-05-1999, 08:15 AM   #16
anduin

Good point, Gimli, I want to see some orc heads roll too (hehe), but where is the line drawn between R and PG13? Is blood the deciding factor? I am not too acquainted with the new rating system.
Old 12-05-1999, 04:57 PM   #17
bmilder

Re: What should LotR be rated?

I remember hearing that one of the Star Trek movies was rated R until they turned the Klingon blood from red into purple, which downgraded it to a PG... so it's all very silly. :P
Old 12-05-1999, 08:59 PM   #18
Darth Tater

I think what makes it R is, well you know.
Old 12-18-1999, 12:55 AM   #19
Bloop TK 421

I wonder what will come out of the Shelob events. To make this and other shots already mentioned truly terrifying my opinion is that pg 13 is as low as it could possible go. I wouldn't mind an R rating myself in order to get something scary out of Sauron and other baddies. No need for execessive battle violence but i have to be scary when it is supposed to be so.
Old 12-20-1999, 03:24 AM   #20
Hernalt

Observe "Sleepy Hollow" / Johnny Depp. This is an R-rated version of the Disney cartoon from about 20some years ago. Good, quality legend does not have to remain in the purview of childish imagination. Look at the ancients - they daily feared for their lives from the spirits they had inhabiting every blessed object they were surounded by. Obviously, it took an adult-class imagination to believe there were ghosts and spirits looking over your shoulder every move you made. So.. what if LOTR turns out to be TPM-class kiddy goofdorkstupid? I promise: they will make another. Indeed, no one is even limited to remaking LOTR itself - the Silmarillion is chock full of quality narrative which can be adapted to screen. Or take the Unfinished Tales. Can you imagine an R-rated version of the extended Turin tale? I as hell can, Glaurung, spells, Findulas and all. They may even embellish it with some freelance romance, Orc battles, etc. There is no doubt that Tolkien's entire world will become fodder for the silver screen. And much of it is dark enough to warrant a mature rating.