Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
Hyarmendacil
Sapling

Silvan Elves of the Fourth Age

I've read somewhere that the Fourth Age was the Golden Age of the Silvan Elves. That they established new colonies in that times. Does not that oppose with Tolkien's idea of the fading of the Elves?
Hyarmendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Where did you read this?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

The fourth age was the time of the domioion of men.

Silvan elves, may have went through some brief prosperity, but they would've eventually faded, though some may have taken ship to Erresea or Aman. I think Elvish ambitions for new kingdoms (Well at least Noldorin) ended in the Third Age.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

From LotR, Appendix B, The tale of years:
Quote:
In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lórien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon.
This is the only place I know where it says anything of the Silvan Elves after the destruction of Sauron.

As for fading, I've always thought the Exiles would fade faster in Middle-Earth than those who had never been to Valinor. But I may be wrong there, of course.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
Hyarmendacil
Sapling

But what about East Lorien? It is also said there, that Celeborn led majority of the Galadhrim to the Eastern Shore of Anduin and established there a kingdom. Celeborn himself left those places several years later, but it is not stated that all East Lorien elves have gone with him. Those elves wouldn't establish kingdom if they weren't going to stay in ME for several centuries or more
Old 02-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I've always thought that Celeborn and Galadriel returned to Lórien with their host after driving out the evil from Mirkwood. I don't think it is said anywhere that Celeborn established a kingdom in East Lórien. Nevertheless I see that it is ambiguous. It may very well be that some of the Elves from Lórien, perhaps both Silvan and Sindarin, remained in Greenwood with Celeborn and established a realm there.

There were at least one new settlement of Elves during that time: Legolas brought with him many Silvan Elves from Northern Mirkwood into Ithilien, where they established a new settlement in the years after Elessar's crowning. These Elves probably remained there after Legolas sailed over Sea in the year 120 F.A.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyarmendacil
But what about East Lorien? It is also said there, that Celeborn led majority of the Galadhrim to the Eastern Shore of Anduin and established there a kingdom. Celeborn himself left those places several years later, but it is not stated that all East Lorien elves have gone with him. Those elves wouldn't establish kingdom if they weren't going to stay in ME for several centuries or more
Most of the Silvan Elves weren't even going to leave M-E.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #8
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Here's part the passage telling of when Thranduil and Celeborn renamed Mirkwood and divided up the territory.
Quote:
Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took all the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lorien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen. But after the passing of Galadriel in a few years Celeborn grew weary of his realm and went to Imladris to dwell with the sons of Elrond. In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lorien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon.
Sounds like even East Lorien went kaput, and Thranduil's realm, while peaceful, was receding slowly into the background... while men took over.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The silvan elves, though, had almost always lived in the background-the history of the elves is that of the Noldor and the Sindar. The Silvans are only mentioned in passing.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:35 AM   #10
Hyarmendacil
Sapling

It is said in the same appendix, that Original Lorien (and not East Lorien) became empty. At least at the time of Arwen's death. Caras Galadhon was located in the Golden Wood, not in east Lorien.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:12 PM   #11
galadriel
Elven Warrior

True... I guess that even without Celeborn's leadership, the Silvan Elves in *East* Lorien would continue to survive on their own; they were good at that.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:38 PM   #12
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Many silvan elves stayed in ME after Celeborn left. (After all, he wasn't really a king, he was more of a guardian.) No matter where they lived, the elves (silvan or otherwise) faded during the Fourth Age.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:23 AM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

it seems that inthe EARLY fourth age all the free peoples have a rebirth however it would be the Men who dominated in the end.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:39 AM   #14
elendili
Elven Warrior

The fourth age is the last of the four ages chronicled by Tolkien, and the one about which least is known (including its length). So it comes with the territory that there are ambiguities but i'm with the general opinion that men dominated whilst the elves drifted over to the west esp. the calaquendi but some of the silvan as well. Although it does mention in the books somewhere that even though the original Lorien faded that East Lorien continued to prosper well after the original ceased to exist.

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote