Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2003, 08:22 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Celebrity news - who freaking CARES?

We all know how scandalous tabloids are total trash and a waste of trees, material not even worth wiping your arse with.

But it's about time we attacked the real root of the problem: the societal obsession with celebrities.

Look. I don't care who's dating who as long as it's not my girl. I don't care who's marrying who as long as it's not my mother. I could frankly care less if some famous "football" player (and I use "football" loosely, i.e. in the incorrect American sense) murdered his wife - it makes him no better than any other common murderer. No way should people with household names be subjected to public invasions of privacy. No way should these public invasions of privacy affect their careers, as they so often do.

And no way should otherwise decent people be reading trash like People magazine, which dares to pass itself off as legitimate - let alone the gossip tabloids in the supermarket stands.

Stop buying that crap. Stop reading that crap. And spread the word and stop everyone you know from obsessing about the private lives of people they don't even know. (And if they actually know those celebrities perchance, double shame on them.)

If there is no market for worthless gossip about famous people, it will ruin that industry. And rightfully so. I don't pretend that my efforts will single-handedly sink them, but we might as well save as many people as we can.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

*doesn't buy that crap, nor does she care about the private lives of celebrities*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:35 PM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i know, its so stupid. i mean they are just normal people who are just seen through a t.v. and there the centre of attention. like when russel crowe got in a fight, but people always get into fights and they dont report it.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I personally disagree. I doubt they are just "normal people" (what is that, anyway ) for two main reasons:

1) They are in the center of the public eye.
2) They are extremely wealthy.

These two things would make it very difficult I think for them to be "normal people".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

they are still human beings and almost all the poor ones dont get as much attention as the rich do and they need more attention.
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-27-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

They are normal people Gwai. Get over it! Why would being famous or rich make you any different? In fact, many of them don't seem to work very hard, so some of them seem "less" than normal people to me! (Sour grapes! ) Big farty noise for celebrities!
I really hate it when people act all goosey stupid when any type of celeb is around. It is so pathetic and dorky! I actually get a kick out of embarrassing pictures of celebs on The Enquirer. Gives me something to snicker at while I'm waiting. So, are we all sick of Jlo, yet?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

im sick of 'J-HO' *hee hee* whats this with her being happy shes out of that relationship with p diddy or something. stupid stuff
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-27-2003, 10:29 PM   #8
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

what i'm really sick of is how celebrities think we should care about their political opinions.

All they do is act or sing or whatever and we're supposed to act like they're so much better than us because of it. so and so is getting married-must make big deal. So and so got a hair cut-must make big deal.

If i ever see a big celebrity i think i'd go up to 'em like "Oh my goodness, is that really you?! are you really him/her?!" like i can't believe it's Tom Hanks or whoever. but then say something like "So what have you been up to since summer camp of 92?"
Old 05-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
All they do is act or sing or whatever and we're supposed to act like they're so much better than us because of it.
But we don't have any obligation to do that.

My very point is that the celebrities are not the problem. The problem is in the consumers - the people who do care, who created the consumer market for gossip and paparazzi. They are the ones who elevated famous people to such a position.

And these are the same people who actually do believe influential figures no matter how unqualified they are to comment on a subject. Just look at how much damage Oprah did to the meat industry by spreading unfounded mad cow paranoia a few years ago.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
gdl96
the greg the admin

I agree totally with you IP, but I must admit something. The females in my family dig this stuff, and there's nothing I can do to stop them. I will try my best, but I feel I can do little to help this cause. Although they aren't that bad...they only pick People off the rack sometimes. They don't subscribe.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:09 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm, people wouldn't be so curious to read it if "only out to make a buck" writers and photgraphers didn't serve it up so sensationally. What's poor old Connie Common to do but notice?
Old 05-28-2003, 01:19 AM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

*looking around innocently*
Well, I am watching the Celebrity new every day on TV. Really, every day.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Hmm, I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite here.

I couldn't care less about celebraties in the newspapers/magazines or on the news.

Just because [insert name] is having an affair with whoevers wife, sticking cocaine up their nose or wearing the wrong dress to an awards ceremony........this sort of shallow gossip bores the hell out of me.

But, celebraty biographies do facinate me *shrugs*.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 AM   #14
Baby-K
Corruptor

I have to agree - celebrity news & gossip leaves me cold - who gives a continental sh*t about that? But I find biographies fascinating - not necessarily of stars, but of famous & infamous people (more the infamous really) - like Ted Bundy - chilling stuff
Old 05-28-2003, 01:00 PM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I agree entirely. WHO CARES? I don't understand...well, okay, actually I think I do have a vague understanding of why people are so fascinated with this stuff. Maybe I'll write an essay on it
However, I personally couldn't care less, and most of my friends are the same. Those that do care, however, I'm working on converting

I think biographies are an entirely different matter. That's more about how people got to the places they are, whereas the gossip is just Not Our Business.

Which is why I don't ever want to be a celebrity. I mean, I've always had my dreams about acting in films, which I would love to do, but aside from the fact that I don't have a chance, I want my personal life to be MY personal life, and not the subject of gossip. It's my business who I'm sleeping with, ne? Not the rest of the bloody world.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I hate that kind of stuff, and find it boring. I have bought People a few times over the years if there happens to be a cover about someone I'm interested in reading about (for instance, I bought one when Jerry Garcia died and they had him on the cover -- I think it was People) if I see it in the store, but like I said, that's only a few times in all the years I've been reading magazines (I don't really like to read any magazines anyway, I prefer books).

But, to go on a little tangent, I don't think Oprah was actually lobbying against the beef industry herself, I think what happened is that she had a show with experts on who spoke about the dangers of eating beef from a food safety angle (e-coli, mad cow, etc.). Oprah said something on there along the lines of "I think I might not be eating any beef until they get that under control," or something along those lines. Because she has such a wide audience and so many people value her opinion on things (which as you said, IP, is silly because it's not as if she is an expert on that), the cattle ranchers sued her for saying that, their position being that because of what she said, it would hurt their business. Anyway, that's how I remember the whole thing, but I could be wrong.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:41 PM   #17
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

I agree.WHO FREAKIN CARES?!!!!
I don't whatsoever.
I rather watch paint dry or have diarehiea(however you spell it)
than watch stupid stuff about celebrities private lives
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:44 PM   #18
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I posted in this thread this morning.....but to be honest I'd never read a "gossip" magazine for years.

Did a bit of research at work today, borrowed a copy of "OK" magazine off a girl at work...........it almost bored me to tears and it sells millions of copies every week!

I think it's a strange world when people would rather spend cash on reading about people they will probably never meet........but those same people prolly couldn't tell you the names of the folks who live in the next street to them

I wonder if celebraties are becoming the new Gods

When that happens, I'll join the Moonie cult

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #19
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I only care about two certain celebraties 9and i won't name them, 'cause i don't want to be pelted with shoes ).
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

It is a strange world!