Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Olmer
Elf Lord

Tolkien's Elves - our Earth

In the view of recent discovery of the hobbit-like ancient humanoid and my previous post about astounding implications which comes from the study of the Bible Genesis , an interesting thought came on my mind.

What if it really true and some day we will discover what happened to those offsprings of elves among us and will be able to identify them. What would happen next? Will the world greet them with open arms, put on a pedestal to worship as real descendants of the First children of God?
What is your opinion?

Last edited by Olmer : 11-17-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:07 AM   #2
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I would tend to think the opposite would happen. Race war, that sort of thing. Look at our history. Oh, and of course established religion would have some motivation against them because it would imply a different cosmology.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

Frankly, given the hierarchal nature of reality, it would not make any difference.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
Olmer
Elf Lord

I agree that religion won't be happy about such discovery, but considering that it could be a small and very deluded amount , I don't think it could be a war, but probably a witch-hunt.
And according to scientists, the reality is more of chaotic nature , and hierarchy much more depends on circumstantial occurences, so such occurence as a discovery of the immortal's descendants , frankly, in my POV would make a big difference.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Frankly, given the hierarchal nature of reality, it would not make any difference.
I agree. I think they would be instant celebrities, and you know how celebrities are treated. Also, they are beautiful, and that makes quite a difference.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
inked
Elf Lord

Count, it would make no difference to Christians due to the hierarchal nature of the universe. Plenty of room for all God's creatures there!

Olmer, which religions would mount a witch hunt? More likely the 'scientific journalist' types would hound them to death, unless the papparrazzi beat them to it and killed them by irradiation of photo-flashes !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Olmer
Elf Lord

People, wake up and smell reality!

Instant celebrities? Maybe for a few hours, and then, as Count Comfect smartly said, an opposite will happen, because even if we have plenty of room for all God's creatures it doesn't stop human to be biased against each other. The bloodiest and longest wars have been instigated in the name of God to seek a superioriy and by whatever means to insure such dominance.
I think that morally we did not get advanced far enough to be ready to meet the progenies of the Firstborn. Sadly, if any of Elves descendants still were dwelling in our time, than the fact of their origin from immortal type of humanoids would be kept in secrecy.
What difference between Elves and Men?
Considering that the Elves and the Man have the same "faculties", can interbreed, producing healthy offsprings, indicate them as the one biological group with only one little difference - immortality.
And this fact makes a HUGE difference!

"So, if they are the same type, then why they live forever, and I am not?
I want it too!!!"- that would be, naturally, the first thought of many people.

Thanks God, men of the Middle-earth was not so advanced in genetic researches, otherwise the leftover elves would encouter a genocide in such proportions that even Hitler wouldn't dream about.

At present time men of the Earth have even greater lust for immortality....
So, given an opportunity to find this tiny gene which makes such big difference between otherwise similar humans, the scientists, the politicians and even ordinary people wouldn't stop by moral and humane criterias.
The elves offsprings would be hunted worldwide, studied and disected in the name of humanitarianism.

Last edited by Olmer : 11-17-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM   #8
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

I also think that elves would be looked upon as intruders, and worse. Every religion would be against them. Has anyone ever seen Escape from the Planet of the Apes ? That's what I mean.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Are u saying because they look a little bit different then us that every one will hate them and the military will hunt them down like deer?
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
trolls' bane

Gollum

No, I'm saying that the majority of humans would be extremely jealous and consider them invaders. But basically it will follow the same pattern as Escape from the Planet of the Apes: they will be welcomed, then we'll find out they are immortal, and the immoral (no, that is not a spelling error) decide to destroy the immortal because of jealousy. I know humans too well (I have been watching them for the past 300 years ).
Old 07-12-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
Findegil
Elven Warrior

I think you have forgotten how the Elves of today are like: They are faded! Only a very few humans are able to see them at all. And nobody is able to harm them physically because they are purely spiritual in nature nowadays.
So what difference would it make if by some scientific reasoning more people would believe in their being?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
trolls' bane

Gollum

Hmm, good point.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
ecthelion
Enting

Not so; The elves of middle earth are faded, but not those of the blessed realm. They could decide to visit again middle earth, or we might find them somehow

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
trolls' bane

Gollum

We could find them. If we sail west just before we die...