Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Gil-Galad 2.0
Hobbit

How many balrogs were there?

Well, how many are there? I have heard that there where only seven and I've also heard that there were thousands. If anyone has a qoute that is usfull please post it.
Gil-Galad 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
orithil
Captain Jack

the silmarillion said melkor used them in wars so there would be hundreds

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

in the early stories, there were thousands upon thousands. but then, tolkien changed his mind (he was always doing this ), and said there were only a total of seven, including the one in moria, one killed in the battle of gondolin, and one killed by glorfindal in the mountains, shortly after the battle.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Certainly not seven, as in the "Unfinished Tales," in the recount of the fall of Gondolin alone, their where at least 20. And that was only a fraction of his army.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
jammi567

where did you get twenty from?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

From Morgoth's ring : (Annals of Aman): "In the margin my father wrote: 'There should not be supposed more than say 3 or at most 7 ever existed.'" Kinda hard to draw the line though, as the numbers went up and down throughout the development of Middle-earth, starting off in the thousands in BoLT. The Silm is not clear, and should not be taken as canon anyway as Christopher Tolkien perhaps did not do the *best* editing job ever. However, it is possible to postulate that as the development of the legendariam of Middle-earth progressed, and the balrog moved from merely henchmen to maiar status, Tolkien may have thought to limit their numbers to indicate their new formidable status (and it is at this point that the Umaiar concept was introduced whereby they 'followed' Morgoth, and were no longer his creations).
Old 07-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
jammi567

i thought so.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Gil-Galad 2.0
Hobbit

Sorry, I know you people like acronyms but what does, BoLT, stand for?
Gil-Galad 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Book of Lost Tales.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2 - the first 2 in the Histories of Middle Earth series.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
jammi567

yep, first two in a series of 12.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ok then ... so just who killed 'em all?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
where did you get twenty from?
In BOLT 2, in the sack of gondolin, it is said that when turgon entered the battle he and his house killed 2 score (20) balrogs. Before that tuor had killed 5 and ecthelion 3. The house of the hammer had killed as much before they were completely destroyed, just by the wording of that whole batlle.

So I would say there where alot more than 20 balrogs and that was just those morgoth sent for sack of that fair sity.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 07-25-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman
ok then ... so just who killed 'em all?
*indignant* a very mean person who attacks in a dishonorly manner, as that's the only way to take us out...at least, me...ha! like you could take me out anyway...

barliman...

And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Does anyone else wanna explain to Telcontarion exactly why the numbers drawn from BoLT are problematic?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
In BOLT 2, in the sack of gondolin, it is said that when turgon entered the battle he and his house killed 2 score (20) balrogs. Before that tuor had killed 5 and ecthelion 3. The house of the hammer had killed as much before they were completely destroyed, just by the wording of that whole batlle.

So I would say there where alot more than 20 balrogs and that was just those morgoth sent for sack of that fair sity.
Well, if we're going to take that as canon, which I don't think we can, that's 48 right there.

Personally, my maxim for such matters is "the later the better". I find that as a whole, the changes in Tolkien's work over time were genuine development, so I will stick by Morgoth's Rings 'three or at most seven'.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #17
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Does anyone else wanna explain to Telcontarion exactly why the numbers drawn from BoLT are problematic?

*looks over shoulder at BoP*
nah ... i am too busy repeatedly bashin ol Big bals here on da head fer calling me barliman ( which is my rpg character not me good self, else i wouldna mind)

*bash*
*starts to whistle*
*bash*
"whistle while you work ...."
*bash*
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
The Telcontarion

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
*looks over shoulder at BoP*
nah ... i am too busy repeatedly bashin ol Big bals here on da head fer calling me barliman ( which is my rpg character not me good self, else i wouldna mind)

*bash*
*starts to whistle*
*bash*
"whistle while you work ...."
*bash*
barliman? Hah!! Nice nickname, you can also call me The Tar Minyaturion.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
Ellf
Hobbit

7 Balrogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
in the early stories, there were thousands upon thousands. but then, tolkien changed his mind (he was always doing this ), and said there were only a total of seven, including the one in moria, one killed in the battle of gondolin, and one killed by glorfindal in the mountains, shortly after the battle.
I am curious, where did Tolkien write that there were a total of 7 Balrogs?
Ellf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
jammi567

Have a look at post 6 for an answer.