Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Wheel of Time - is it finished or is it finished?

Since I've recently bought the tenth book an answer to the above question would be appreciated.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'm on the fifth book, awesome series. Some long passing chapters and characters ( all the women) are boring though.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #3
Daisy Baggins
Hobbit

I'm also on the fifth book. I've read that there will be several more books. I can't remember exactly how many, but I think that it will be 13 in all. I've also read that he will be writing prequels which take place before book one.
Daisy Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'll try to avoid spoilers, but overall...

i was very dissapointed by the latest installment... the first seven were great, but the last three have started to feel like a long-running soap opera (lots of character, little plot)... in the latest many new characters are introduced... very little of any of the ongoing loose-ends are even touched upon, and frankly, the story goes practically nowhere... there are some interesting scenes for true fans and i still find Jordan enjoyable to read... but go into it with low expectations if you don't want to be disappointed

i've made a promise to myself that i won't buy another of his books till it's done (which is currently known to be at least two more)... though i probably won't live up to it
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You know, fans tend to disagree a lot upon where "The Wheel of Time" lost its flare, or even if it has. I guess it depends a lot on taste.

I'm just really looking forward to the major climaxes. They'll be coming somewhere in the future, and they will be awesome when they do. Robert Jordan always was a great writer of action scenes. There is a huge amount of potential.

If there are only two or three books left to the series, then I'm really looking forward to the future ones. They should contain quite a lot.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i have to agree that i am still looking forward to the future of the series... it still ranks close to the top on my list of favorites

i just feel that in the last 3-4 books jordan could have shaved about 500 or so pages and not really effected the story or atmosphere much at all (eventhough there are also many excellent parts to the more recent books)... i don't feel the same about the first seven

i also loved the sense of mystery and intertwined possibilities earlier in the series... there seems to be less of that lately, and many longstanding enigmas have not even been touched upon in quite a long time... i have a fear that they either will never be really be answered, or they'll be quickly wrapped-up in some left-field sort of way (i.e. it was character X who you never met before that was behind it all)

hope i'm wrong
Old 11-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Robert Jordan always was a great writer of action scenes.
You really think so? From what I've read so far I've found myself rather irritated at his fighting scenes and battles. Rand's various sword fights are terrible, I appreciate that Jordan like anybody else may not have much knowledge on swordfighting and such, but creating lists of metaphors to which the reader has no idea of the meaning behind them is plain stupid.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

he's mixed on the fight scene thing too... don't know where you are so i won't give too much detail, but there is a series of chapters dealing with Perrin's defense of a town that i think is some of the best stuff he's written

on the other hand... there are times when he falls into the "okay let's talk about everthing that leads up to a battle, and then jump to the character reflecting on things after it's over" which has always bugged me... i've always been a fan of experiencing to whole thing as it unfolds
Old 12-02-2003, 04:53 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Strengths and weaknesses in TWoT

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
You really think so? From what I've read so far I've found myself rather irritated at his fighting scenes and battles. Rand's various sword fights are terrible, I appreciate that Jordan like anybody else may not have much knowledge on swordfighting and such,
Very amusing it is, actually, that you should say that to me. I know how to swordfight .
Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
but creating lists of metaphors to which the reader has no idea of the meaning behind them is plain stupid.
(Shrugs) Well. I didn't mind the lists of metaphors at all. Robert Jordan does more than one kind of battle. There's One Power battles, sword to sword duels, among many types. I personally feel they've all been well written, so far.

Other aspects of Robert Jordan's writing I do have trouble with. The women for example, and even the men, to some extent.

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i just feel that in the last 3-4 books jordan could have shaved about 500 or so pages and not really effected the story or atmosphere much at all (eventhough there are also many excellent parts to the more recent books)... i don't feel the same about the first seven
(Sighs) You know what, I think I probably agree with you. Shaving off 500 pages wouldn't hurt at all.
Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i also loved the sense of mystery and intertwined possibilities earlier in the series... there seems to be less of that lately, and many longstanding enigmas have not even been touched upon in quite a long time... i have a fear that they either will never be really be answered, or they'll be quickly wrapped-up in some left-field sort of way (i.e. it was character X who you never met before that was behind it all)
I doubt that it'll be character X that was behind it all.
Quite a few of the Forsaken have been sort of in the background for quite a long time, now. I think we should learn a lot more new things about all of them, very soon. Otherwise they'll just stay as backdrop. For quite a while now, Forsaken have been being bumped off one after another at the ends of the books. We haven't seen much of quite a few of them, though.

I kind of hope they won't be wrapped up in a left-field way. There are some enemies that I'm not so worried that'll happen with. I'm quite sure we'll see a cool show down with the gholam, and with that other jerk that looks like Lan and was wandering around the Dream World.

But Robert Jordan has created quite a lot of enemies, most of whom haven't been dealt with. I really, really hope there are just three more books. Two seems like it would be too short to wrap up everything that quickly. Three books might work. So I'm really hoping he makes it three books, and cramps them with fascinating events. It's the events that I really care about, in terms of enjoying reading the books.

There are a lot of great things Robert Jordan has done, in his books. He's got a very good overall plot, a very imaginative world, incredible description and skill at developing different kinds of cultures. He has wonderful action scenes and very deep history for his world. The writing style is compelling.

The problems I have with the book are really all involving the characters.

The romances aren't romances at all. They're only lust and sex, no real love. The only thing possibly comparable to love that I've seen is between Faile and Perrin, but I think they'll both end up committing adultery, so they won't be showing true loyalty either.

The character development is definitely not nearly sufficient. Rand is the only character that really has held me throughout everything. He grabs my interest completely every time he's in the scene. Most of the others . . . well, suffice it to say that if half of them were killed off in the next book, I would not grieve at all. I would be very startled, but not sad about it having happened.

The plot threads right now have bogged down, but that's only a smaller thing to me. The main problems involve the characters.

However, despite the character problems, I really enjoy the book series . Again, I'm just really looking forward to the glorious conclusion!
Old 12-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #10
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Jordan said there were two more to go....but he also said, a long time ago, Wheel of Time would be a trilogy.

I think the best thing he could do would be to stick to that. If there are only two left, they'll have to be action packed, and maybe then will return to the original quality.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
Jordan said there were two more to go....but he also said, a long time ago, Wheel of Time would be a trilogy.

I think the best thing he could do would be to stick to that. If there are only two left, they'll have to be action packed, and maybe then will return to the original quality.

Katie
:-/

I don't quite get how he made that mistake, if he had already finished Book 1. His having thought that at an earlier point seems quite conceivable to me, though. The book that I'm writing was just intended to be the prequel to a couple books I'd already written. I decided to skip out those two books later on because they didn't measure up to the prequel, and the prequel is approaching a thousand pages now.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:11 AM   #12
Raistlin
Enting

that is cool could you send out a couple of books when/if you get published to vegas markets

Maud'ib
I am a Bene Gesserit, I live only to serve

check this out:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=m5699nnk

Okay come on and help me some more its different game this time
http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1906371
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #13
elendili
Elven Warrior

New Spring comes out next year and is prequel to the series and take places around the time of the Dragon.

His last few books have contained lots of waffling but i have enjoyed the scenes with Matt and Tuon.

I'm wondering how on earth he's going to wrap up the series in 2 more books i think that's why he's jumped to the prequels.

I am wondering who the Forsaken are now as some have died and come back like Lanfear and some you don't know for sure which were killed in Crossroads of Twilight

Overall i think he's a very good writer and he's one of my fav authors at the moment

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #14
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I enjoy the series, but RJ has definitely milked it for every penny. I wonder if he's afraid to end the series because he'll need to start over and create something new; WOT is a guaranteed paycheck every two years (plus supplemental income).

In general, it's tough to judge the series until it's done. RJ sure goes in a bunch of directions; it's hard to imagine how he'll be able to tie everything together. My hunch is that he won't. I hope I'm wrong, though. In any case, I'm hooked (in part because of a lack of good fantasy writing in the world), so he's got me on board for the rest of the ride.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:36 AM   #15
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Wow, I'm impressed. I starting losing interest in the fourth book, made it through the fifth, but just couldn't continue. I'm impressed that some of you are up on the current (10th! YIKES!) installment!

Forkbeard
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Has Jordan finished writing it? Nope.

Is the series finished anyway? Yep.

You know there's a serious problem when even the hardcore WoT fans lose faith in him and drop Crossroads of Twilight (Book 10) to one-and-a-half stars on Amazon.com. I dropped the series after A Crown of Swords (despite having bought both Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart) and have seen no reason to go back since. Time better spent reading real literature.

I did enjoy some things about it at the outset, but the series has become increasingly ridiculous. Mind you, I got far enough in it that I have every right to make fun of it as much as I want.

Robert Jordan is a good plot designer - I especially like how he weaves political intrigue - but he doesn't write, he rambles.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:35 PM   #17
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

He does ramble quite a bit. Something that really annoyed me was when i got to the last 100 or so pages of book 5, I decided that it was getting annoying so i returned it to the library. Several months later I decided that I would read book 6, I got to page 95 and I had no clue at all what was happening, so today I paid a trip to the library
Old 01-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #18
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IronParrot
Has Jordan finished writing it? Nope.

Is the series finished anyway? Yep.

So one doesn't have to worry about there being any books 11,12 and so on then.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-11-2004 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:18 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
So one doesn't have to worry about there being any books 11,12 and so on then.
Oh, there will be, but the readership is definitely beginning to drop off piece by piece. I meant that the series is "finished" in terms of any sense of momentum.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #20
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Oh, there will be, but the readership is definitely beginning to drop off piece by piece. I meant that the series is "finished" in terms of any sense of momentum.
Well, I am saving the series for a really long read later on. So if there's only two more books to go, I could begin soon.