Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2002, 10:46 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
That Wonderful Music Genre...Jazz!

Ah, how I love it. One of my favorites. I am currently in jazz choir and listen to jazz bands and choirs on a regular basis.

In fact, I have a jazz choir 'concert/critique' tomorrow, and I'm the only soprano in the group. The other soprano is academically ineligible (sp?). This ought to be interesting, considering I am kind of sick Wish me luck!

What is your favorite jazz song?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:55 AM   #2
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I don't know if this is jazz; but I like Cross My Heart by Everything But The Girl.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:58 PM   #3
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

OK, well, it's not really true jazz, more like rock/jazz, but I really like the group Chicago. They are very cool and all - original, which I love to see in a group.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Er, I just rewrote one of Peter Cetera's songs on this thread:
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=3647

One of my quirkier sessions with the muse.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:03 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Jazz = probably the only real music left nowadays, the way things are going. I play piano and clarinet... and do a LOT of jazz improvisation on piano. So much, in fact, that I hardly bother reading music anymore - I just do everything by ear. Playing all the standards and such. I'll upload a recording sometime.

Favourite jazz artists include but are not limited to:

Oscar Peterson
Ella Fitzgerald
Harry Connick, Jr.
Diana Krall
Billie Holliday
Frank Sinatra
Benny Goodman
Artie Shaw
Louis Armstrong
Miles Davis

BEST jazz radio programme on the planet: "After Hours" hosted by Ross Porter, on CBC Radio 2 for the Canucks out there. I have learned almost everything I know about jazz from this show alone... in fact, that's where my love and understanding of this great music came from. You can listen on streaming audio online, too...

http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/afterhours/
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot

Oscar Peterson
Ella Fitzgerald
Harry Connick, Jr.
Diana Krall
Billie Holliday
Frank Sinatra
Benny Goodman
Artie Shaw
Louis Armstrong
Miles Davis
i love all those, but i also love FRADGILE. they are soooooo good.
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I was just about to post a thread about how much I love jazz... then I did a search to see if it had been done. Now, just what is this thread doing, sinking all the way to the bottom with only FIVE replies?

Come on, I know there are more jazz fans out there.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I guess I miss all the good threads while im asleep! I love Jazz. I mentioned before I love all types of music, but Jazz ranks up as some of my favorites. I also like Jazz/ blues type stuff. I like all the artists above and my sister once made me a mix tape with some beautiful jazz songs.
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Jazz is great. Im surprised theres actually Jazz fans on the moot. And some rather young! I still play Kind of Blue in my car CD player all the time. Now how many of you guys like the Blues?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

My brother started playing trumpet last year, so I got him "Kind of Blue" for Christmas.

What varieties of jazz do you guys like? I have a particular preference for the older stuff... big band, swing, cabaret, that sort of thing.

I wrote in to a jazz radio show about a year ago. It was a contest to "define jazz". They just contacted me earlier this week and told me I'd be getting a (very) belated prize.

Old 02-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

cool. what was your definition? Have you ever been to New Orleans. Geat place if you like Jazz. I love it there.

My preference is the Miles Davis stuff but also beebop and the older stuff like Louis Armstrong. I cant tell you how many times I have listened to St. Louis Blues and tried to figure out how Armstrong did that solo.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

I love jazz! I used to listen to Jazz Classics every Sat. night when I lived in Atlanta. It was one of the things I missed the most when I moved. I love the artists IP mentioned in his list, but I would also add George Gershwin.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh, Gershwin was a marvelous composer. Really the man who brought jazz out of the clubs and into the concert halls.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:05 PM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

My favorites -the Miles Davis/ John Coltrane/ Thelonius Monk era- !950s-early1960s

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:33 PM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

What? No one has mentioned Wynton Marsalis yet? I'm disappointed. I saw him in concert and it was amazing. I also love Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, and John Coltrane. *looks back at list* Gee, 4/5 of them are trumpet players. What does that tell you about me? As far as my other instrument, the piano, goes, I like Diana Krall and Harry Connick, Jr.

"Jazz is democracy in music." -- Wynton Marsalis

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #16
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I love jazz, but mostly older stuff. Really like bebop, especially Dizzy Gillespie and Duke Ellington. Charlie Parker was a genius (BIRD LIVES!). Also love Miles Davis, but only the early recordings (BEFORE he went electric). Kinda Blue was a favorite, but it's been displaced by Birth of the Cool. Keyboards are a passion of mine, and at the top of my list would be the immortal Bill Evans, followed by Thelonius Monk. Oscar Peterson is OK, but sometimes he sounds too lush. Could be the classical training resurfacing.

I also love singers like Anita O'Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn and Dinah Washington. For contemporary, Kurt Elling (occasionally). Not a fan of Harry Connick, I'm afraid. If the musician is current, he/she has gotta be experimental for me to be interested. If he/she is covering old ground, I'd rather go to the source...

One of my treasured memories is seeing Ornette Coleman perform live. Any free jazz fans out there? I confess to a weakness for crazy atonal stuff...
Old 03-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #17
gdl96
the greg the admin

Khamul, some of my friends just went to a Wynton Marsalis concert the other day. I've been meaning to listen to some of his stuff.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the great Maynard Ferguson yet? I saw his perform last year. His version of Take the A Train is probably my favorite jazz piece.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:51 AM   #18
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

If you can, see if you can find "Sunflowers" by Wynton. He wrote it for a French jazz festival. He said that he wrote it in 5/4 because he got tired of hearing the people clap on beats 2 and 4. He got all of us to clap on 2, 3, and 5 while they played it. It was cool because I can say that I've played with Wynton Marsalis.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

My high school band director (she played trumpet, obviously) was a huge Marsalis fan.

I got a call from back home today. Supposedly, that radio show I mentioned earlier sent me a CD wallet, about ten compliation albums and a T-shirt.

Whoa.

So Khamûl, you're a fellow pianist, I see. Do you do mostly small ensemble, large ensemble, or solo? I'm primarily a soloist out of practical concerns alone, but my hands aren't big enough to reach even a 10th very comfortably, so I can't get really open-sounding stride accompaniment in the left hand going, but oh well...

Old 03-04-2003, 10:56 AM   #20
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Yeah! Other painists on the 'Moot! I've been classicaly trained for about four years, but now a gutarist friend of mine is teaching me jazz. I love playing it!

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote