Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Are stupid outlandish names necessary in sci-fi/fantasy?

More often than not, they just serve to confuse the heck out of me rather than absorb me into some make-believe world.

Guys like Tolkien I can understand - he's all systematic about it, and it's easy to glean stuff based on his linguistic patterns and such, and at least he still leaves very Anglicized hobbit-names intact. But all his imitators and emulators make a complete mess out of naming conventions and just seem to come up with the most ridiculously unpronounceable names that are also impossible to remember.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

you have a point, but sometimes making up names is fun.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't really see a problem with it. What names specifically were you thinking of?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:16 AM   #4
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Not necessary but it helps
Encarta definition for fantasy : form of literature that describes the impossible and makes little or no attempt to achieve realistic effects.

So it'd be weird if you had this absolutely fantastical world that is just SO different from ours, and you had characters called Bob or something.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very good point. They just seem our worldish- they've been around in our world for years. Farther back cultures, like the Saxons or Dains, had their own names and those names were strange. That was still in our world also. Names change with times and places and the names that are current and easily memorable to people now are current and memorable now- that's just the problem. It is precisely because of how normal they are that they make the fantasy story seem as though it's a part of our world. If people in ancient times had the same names as we have now and the names never changed, that time period would feel like our world. It also would be annoying to have Caesar's name replaced with Bob's . I think it's because those names feel so modern and so linked to our own time that they simply won't do in a fantasy setting.

So allow some fun poetic license .

One thing that I personally enjoy about the strange names is that when writing them, I can put some of the character of an individual into their name. The name of the person sounds like the character the person has. It's that way to me in my books, anyway. I was very, very selective about the true name for my primary villain in The Uirlon Cord, for example. He's a very complex character so it was interesting trying to find just the right name for him. He wasn't always bad, you see. So I had to make a name that could work as bad or good .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I think that different names help absorb you into a different world or whatever, but some names just go too far. Some books have really long hard to pronounce names. Those just annoy me.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The primary difficulty that I've had, as far as I remember at the moment, is with very long and complex names that are very similar to each other in the same book.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Some writers definitly go a little overboard.

I think amongst all the fantasy writers I've read that David Eddings got the naming of his characters the closest to being correct.

He gave many of his characters wildly impressive names and then shortened them when characters addressed each other, as often happens in real life anyway. Many of his characters had working nicknames as well.........for me it added empathy to the characters without diminishing them....

(Polgara became Pol, Belgarion - 'Garion etc)

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #9
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i agree with Coney i dont remember the name of the book () but the names were like this long (___________________) and I got so frustrated I put it down and eventually sold it at a garage sale
Old 03-10-2003, 01:53 AM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Some writers definitly go a little overboard.

I think amongst all the fantasy writers I've read that David Eddings got the naming of his characters the closest to being correct.

He gave many of his characters wildly impressive names and then shortened them when characters addressed each other, as often happens in real life anyway. Many of his characters had working nicknames as well.........for me it added empathy to the characters without diminishing them....

(Polgara became Pol, Belgarion - 'Garion etc)
Actually, Garion wasn't a nickname, so much as a name 'in hiding'. The 'Bel' prefix denoted a sorcerer, if I remember correctly. So, while 'Belgarion' was his true name, he was just called Garion, so that other forces (i.e. servants of Torak) wouldn't know of his heritage. After his name 'Belgarion' was given, he'd been Garion all of his life, so he just stayed Garion. Same with Polgara; her name was shortened to hide her true identity, and when she was revealed, he'd been calling her Pol all of his life, so he kept calling her Pol. I don't remember very many nicknames, actually (unless you count Silk :P).

OT:
I've forgotten a few of the characters names. Belgarath's wife was Poledra, and his one daughter was Polgara, and the other was Beldaran, I think, but I'm not sure. Also, the other sorcerers were Beltira and Belkira (the twins), but I cannot for the life of me yank the grumpy old hunchbacks name out! Any Eddings fans remember it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-10-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Actually, Garion wasn't a nickname, so much as a name 'in hiding'. The 'Bel' prefix denoted a sorcerer, if I remember correctly. So, while 'Belgarion' was his true name, he was just called Garion, so that other forces (i.e. servants of Torak) wouldn't know of his heritage. After his name 'Belgarion' was given, he'd been Garion all of his life, so he just stayed Garion. Same with Polgara; her name was shortened to hide her true identity, and when she was revealed, he'd been calling her Pol all of his life, so he kept calling her Pol. I don't remember very many nicknames, actually (unless you count Silk :P).

OT:
I've forgotten a few of the characters names. Belgarath's wife was Poledra, and his one daughter was Polgara, and the other was Beldaran, I think, but I'm not sure. Also, the other sorcerers were Beltira and Belkira (the twins), but I cannot for the life of me yank the grumpy old hunchbacks name out! Any Eddings fans remember it?
Beldin

Keldar used half a dozen different nicknames....Belgarath had quite a few as well.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:46 AM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem

Of course, Beldin! *smacks self*

Kheldar, Silk, it's all the same thing. :P I don't think Belgarath really had all that many, did he? Just 'Mister Wolf' and 'under-cover' names.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-10-2003, 02:23 PM   #13
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

what books are u people talking about?
Old 03-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem

The Belgariad and the Malloreon, two five book series by David Eddings. Quite entertaining, indeed.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
More often than not, they just serve to confuse the heck out of me rather than absorb me into some make-believe world.
I agree. Too often complicated names feel like self-indulgence on the part of the author - fun to write, but no fun to read, IMO. In Tolkien, the names all make sense and I can tolerate them, but still I prefer the ones which are closest to our world but not quite the same - Samwise, for example. But generally, pretentious names and manners of speech are the reason why I don't read fantasy that often.

The only exception is Narnia. I love the name "Caspian"
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 PM   #16
Belle
Enting

Awww, Narnia, my dad read that to me when I was small, and I recently read them again. There was so much a didn't understand first time round, and now the parallel with the story of Jesus is so obvious.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I often put strange names in my story, but I keep them short and simple, and they have a meaning, they are usually combined Old forgotten English words.

But going through my stoy again, I think I might change some names.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #18
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

"Fantasy" sounding names usually just tick me off. I think it's a good idea if there's some sort of system to it - for example, Orson Scott Wells in one of his books give all his characters Russian-sounding names, because they are the descendants of astronauts on a Russian spaceship who colonized another planet. This is cool because it makes sense and makes the names distinctive. But authors who just come up with random blubberish - well, that's lame.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem

Would you prefer elves named Jimmy and dwarves name Joe-Bob?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-13-2003, 07:28 PM   #20
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I like the unique outlandish names. It helps tranport you to the world. Though some authors do get carried away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Would you prefer elves named Jimmy and dwarves name Joe-Bob?
Can you imagine Gandalf having a name like Billy-Bob
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote