Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
Bilbo
Enting

Strider Aragorn And Arwen

Where, apart from the appendices, does it mention the relation ship between Aragorn and Arwen
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:48 PM   #2
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

It's implied from Aragorn's conversations with her father Elrond, the fact that Aragorn is allowed to marry her once he reunites the kingdoms, and the fact that she knits him a lovely sweater, err, banner.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

To embellish on FD's post:

There is scant mention of the relationship in LOTR proper. Look in FOTR chapter 6 "Lothlorien" and also Chapter 5 of ROTK "The Steward and the King."

Quote:
Then the King [Elessar] welcomed his guests, and they alighted; and Elrond surrendered the sceptre, and laid the hand of his daughter in the hand of the King, and together they went up into the High City, and all the stars flowered in the sky. And Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfilment.
It is stated in the prologue that the tale of Aragorn and Arwen lies outside the tale of the War of the Ring, and was written by Barahir, grandson of Faramir (oooh, good trivia question!)

Hope this helps.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-05-2002, 09:50 PM   #4
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Yeah, I think that was one of the weirder aspects of the book the first time I read it. I can remember having a kind of "huh? Where'd she come from?" moment when they got married the first time through.

The other reference, in Lothlorien (the chapter and the place) (and I think someone has this as a signature) is:

Quote:
At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elenor, and a light was in his eyes. He was wrapped in some fair memory, and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. Arwen Vanimelda, namarie! he said, and then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled.
Also, in Farewell to Lorien:

Quote:
And Aragorn answered: "Lady, you know all my desire, and long held in keeping the only treasure I seek. Yet it is not yours to give me, even if you would; and only through darkness shall I come to it.
That's whenGaladriel gives him the elfstone which she says "this I gave to Celebrian (Arwen's mother, Elrond's wife) my daughter, and she to hers (Arwen)"
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
allsirgarnet
Hobbit

Take a further look at the many meetings at Rivendell pre-fellowship at which theres an unstated conection between Aragorn and Arwen and where Bilbo either teases Aragorn about Arwen or is just commiting a Hobbit "faux pas" (speaking with great hairy foot firmly lodge in mouth).
allsirgarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:09 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I always thought that in the exchange between Bilbo and Aragorn - Bilbo was almost being a fatherly type to Aragorn and just saying - "go ahead talk to her". I don't think he was teasing - but in some ways trying to hook them up. By Bilbo's statement - before reading the appendix - I always thought there was an unstated history between Aragorn and Arwen.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:47 PM   #7
allsirgarnet
Hobbit

I'm not sure father is the right term for Bilbo isnt that older than Aragorn in actual years,and Aragorn has had more experience of ME than Bilbo.

I've always thought it a brotherly thing,more along the lines of "go on ask her out!",combining a little cheekyness with concern.

What Bilbo actually meant is something different.He always seemed to me to be saying,"make the most of what time you have with her" meaning to relax a little.

Aragorns reply seemed to confirm this by "saying" i'd love too but there are more important things i must do.

Last edited by allsirgarnet : 02-06-2002 at 01:48 PM.
allsirgarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:03 PM   #8
aldesign
Elven Warrior

this is all really interesting

i must have missed out on a few bits when i read FOTR

good stuff!

BTW Liv Tyler is MINE!!!!!!!!!!
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote