Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Tolkien and Mary Renault

Not sure this is the right subforum, but just found out that Mary Renault, one of my favorite historical fiction writers when I was younger, had Tolkien as a tutor at Oxford.

And he liked her work, too.

Letters 294:

Quote:
There are exceptions. I have read all that E. R. Eddison wrote, in spite of his peculiarly bad nomenclature and personal philosophy. I was greatly taken by the book that was (I believe) the runner-up when The L. R. was given the Fantasy Award:5 Death of Grass.6 I enjoy the S.F. of Isaac Azimov. Above these, I was recently deeply engaged in the books of Mary Renault; especially the two about Theseus, The King Must Die, and The Bull from the Sea. A few days ago I actually received a card of appreciation from her; perhaps the piece of ‘Fan-mail’ that gives me most pleasure.
Given her 'pagan' outlook and attitude to sex in her writings, especially homosexuality, pretty broad-minded from the Prof.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-10-2010 at 09:44 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote