Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Elvish Minstrels: music as a battle tactic?

I don't think I've run into this particular theory before, so I figured I might as well pose it to you guys.

More than once, there have been mentions of the powerful natures of the songs that the Eldar sing. The most notable is likely Finrod’s battle against Sauron, as detailed in the Silmarillion., where both used songs of power. Whether or not that was a unique occurrence (and I can’t believe that singers more skilled than Finrod would not have been able to pull it off as well, at least in theory), there is also a comment about Elvish minstrels made in the Appendices referring to Aragorn:

“And suddenly even as he sang he saw a maiden walking on a greensward among the white stems of the birches; and he halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else that he had received the gift of the Elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen.” (Return of the Ring, Appendix A)

Since Elvish minstrels appear capable of creating illusions at the least (and quite possibly much more than simple phantasms, as we saw with Finrod), I began to wonder what some of them (Maglor in particular, as I am an unrepentant fangirl ) would be like in battle. Would they use simple sword and steel, or incorporate something a bit more... intangible, so to speak?

Nor can it be forgotten that Fingon, when he went off to rescue Maedhros, chose to bring a harp with him, rather than something that traditionally could be considered more useful in a rescue attempt.

Any ideas?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote