Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
American Sign Language

I'm getting really interested in American Sign Language, or ASL, and was wondering if any of you could recommend any web sites or books that would be helpful in learning it. I've found a few websites, but most of them use drawings that are hard to understand, or are very rough.

So far, I can 'say' the alphabet and my full name, I know how to greet someone and ask them who they are, and I can say "happy to meet you". I also know the signs for mother, father, sister, brother and family.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Here's a website that has some sign language in Quicktime format. I haven't personally checked it out, so I don't know how well it works. And this is a fingerspelling site that looks good. Finally, here is ASL Online.

By the way, I used to be able to say "You are an ugly refrigerator" in sign language. I'm not quite sure why I knew that though...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:53 PM   #3
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Do you just want to learn it for fun or do you have a particular reason? I know you kinda said why, but do you have a more in depth reason?
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:23 PM   #4
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Just to learn something. I love to learn. I have no deaf family members, but I know I will probably meet some deaf people, and I'm already thinking about adopting a deaf child when I'm an adult, and I'd like to be prepared in case I happen to give birth to a deaf child.
I could help people if I knew ASL, by being an interpreter or a teacher.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:29 PM   #5
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Oh, i love sign language! I ahve learned thie signs to the songs God Bless America and God Bless the USA, and several other random signs, like McDonald's, noodles, ketchup, taco, stop, sleep, hungry, now, etc. But most of what I've learned is exact english and not ASL.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well, I would rather do ASL, since it is the more 'conversational' of the two, but one of the books i got from the library is just plain English, because some of the signs vary from what I already knew.

I found a place that shows you how to sign the Lord's Prayer...
Old 08-07-2002, 11:36 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Oh cool! Where is it?

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Hmm, that's very intersesting SP.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Why is it so 'very interesting', Faramir?

I'll PM it Galadriel88, so I don't get edited for advertising.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:39 AM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That *is* cool, SP. I only learnt the alphabet, and me and my cousin used to sign each other in secret. I don't know if I could recall it any more though. And I'm quite lucky, I'm partially deaf, but not deaf enough to need signing.