Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

What REALLY happens to Humans in Valinor?

I decided to put it into a separate thread as it has little to do with the nazgul...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Reminds me of one of those interesting essays in the HoME books about what happened if humans got to Valinor ... basically they'd be begging for death after awhile, IIRC ...
Quote:
by JRRT, Morgoth's Ring, "Myths Transformed", "Aman and Mortal Men"
... or else the fëa would in loathing and without pity desert the hröa, and it would live on, a witless body, not even a beast but a monster, a very work of Melkor in the midst of Aman, which the Valar themselves would fain destroy...
I remember that bit because I thought it was kinda creepy - a human body running around without a soul ...
Thanks for the Quote, Rian. As I said, it seems to be in dire contradiction with Akkalabeth, where the messengers from Valinor claimed that:
Quote:
And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land of Manwë that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a light too strong and steadfast.
'
I always understood that in the Light of Aman the mortals would only DIE sooner. But, considering your quote, Rian, perhaps it meant that the Men in Aman would not die after all, that Valinor made bodies immortal, exactly like Sauron said? So they will not die, only grow weary and beg for death?

Then, why in Ungoliant did the Wise send Frodo, Bilbo and Sam to Valinor, if such a fate awaited them? I thought they were meant to spend the short remainder of their lives in peace and then die...
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote