Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

New Year's Resolutions 2006

Yes, it's that time of the year again: time to resolve to do (or not do) certain things in the new upcoming year.

I have a couple:

1. Completely quit smoking - get a few boxes of those nicotine patches and just give up the cigarettes this time for GOOD.

2. Stop saying the "f" word all the time in casual conversation

3. Use my gym membership on a REGular basis, like every other day, no skipping days.

4. Try absinthe

5. Visit Italy

6. Actually develop one of my screenplay ideas and finish, if nothing else, at least a first draft of a complete screenplay

7. Gain financial independence from my man

8. Visit my family & new niece back east

9. Take one Professional Photography class at UCLA and DO something with the knowledge I earn therein

10. Spend MORE time outside doing stuff and LESS time glued to the computer.

11. Be nicer to my boyfriend.

12. Be less nice to the jerks who helped screw up my life a couple years back - take back my own power. Screw 'em, they were all bad influences who are going nowhere - all except my one dearheart best friend.

I will consider 2006 to be a resounding success if I manage to get done a minimum of 6 (six) of these resolutions, no less, hopefully more.

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-27-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

1. quit smoking (not that i will, but i do continue to try )

2. do more "me" things (i like to help people all the time and plan to continue to do so, but i almost never find the time to do things just because i'd like to, so i'm gonna make sure i do every now and then)

3. pull less punches (relates to 2), sometimes i'm just too damn understanding )

4. actually finish some of the writing projects i've been messing around with for a long time
Old 12-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I wish you both great success in all endeavors! I guess my only New Year resolution is to do very well in all college semesters.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That's IT?!? Come on, Liefer, you can do better than that! Isn't there ONE more little thing you can think of?

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-27-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hmm, I definitely want to make some this year. I usually don't. *goes off to think*

Here's one - get Lief to meet my daughter (nah, I better wait a few more years )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

My New Year's Resolution is to go back to karate. This is more a necessity than a resolution (I never keep NYRs), because I need karate for mental and physical well-being. Nothing but nothing is going to keep me away from karate next term.

Good luck to you Lotesse and Brownie, for quitting smoking. Even if it doesn't work in the end, the more you try to quit, the less you smoke, and that's obviously positive. It sounds like you have a solid conviction to quit though Lotesse so I bet you can do it. (I'd recommend asking a doctor's advice too if you haven't done so already. [/unsolicited advice that you've heard a million times]).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thanx, Nurvi! Yeah, it's the last of my great vices that goes. Isn't it always, with people? Smoking - The Last Great Vice. Anyway, at this point there's absolutely no reason to keep it up, and every reason to knock it off permanently. I'm thinking thank god for the invention of the patch, though, or at least everyone around me will be thanking the gods that be for the nik patch because I'm quite sure it won't be very much fun for me for the first couple weeks.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
My New Year's Resolution is to go back to karate. This is more a necessity than a resolution (I never keep NYRs), because I need karate for mental and physical well-being. Nothing but nothing is going to keep me away from karate next term.
This is like me with dance! I've been away for too long...damn laziness! . I'm starting again in February, yay.

I might actually make some resolutions this year ...Um..

1.- Be more considerate, and appreciate my parents more
2. Visit my grandparents more, and phone far more often
3. Get more HDs, and a summer articled clerk placement
4. As a means to achieve 3, make a concerted effort to actually do readings for class, and start 50% assignments more than 4 hrs before they're due
5. Sleep more than 3 hrs a night
6. Do exercise. Any exercise. I am a lazy slob
7. Never, ever drink absinthe again
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #9
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

YOU DRANK ABSINTHE?! That's one of MY resolutions - the opposite of yours - I am tired of wondering what Absinthe is all about, and would like to try it just once. I think I'll have to be in Amsterdam or elsewhere in Europe to get the real thing, though, but if that Italy resolution comes true, I just may have the opportunity. What's it like, elfearz?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 AM   #10
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Like bottled hell.

Its way tooooo easy to drink. Dangerous, but yummy. I seriously dont want to have anything to do with that stuff. Unless for self medication.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

My ones are simple enough:

1. Finish my book (I've been stuck on page 3 for 3 years... I keep re-writing!!)
2. Study very very hard for my 'A' levels.
3. Quit being a lazy slob and spend the time gained doing something worthwhile...
4. Not spend my pocket-money on silly things, only to regret it later when I find some truly amazing book that I've been dying to read, but can't afford now.
5. Pray at least thrice a day (I'm working slowly up to five).

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

1. Not to make resolutions I won't or can't keep anyway.

2. Finally get a job.

3. Continue to try and raise the bar a bit higher each time for art and writings.

4. Excercise more, damnit! If only I had the guts to return to my karate class...
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Like bottled hell.

Its way tooooo easy to drink. Dangerous, but yummy. I seriously dont want to have anything to do with that stuff. Unless for self medication.

yummy?!

It's a drink that seems to divide people...but in my opinion it looks like car coolant, smells like metho, and tastes like a cocktail of the two, only worse

I had the one without the cold water, where they light the sugar cube. I was literally almost afraid to drink the thing
Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
katya
Elven Maiden

My resolutions:

Learn the kanji I have been working on- hopefully close to finishing those listed in my textbook.

Get everything squared away for college (that`s kind of a necessity)

Do my best in kendo (kinda vague, but I don`t know what kind of opportunities I`ll have for testing or whatever), which means go every day (that we have practice) and give it my all.

Finish Genji Monogatari

I guess that`s about it. All my goals are so vague...

EDIT: And re-read, or at least read some parts, of the Silmarillion. Just now I couldn`t remember the word Noldo. I was saying something to myself in my head and suddenly I just stopped. "I think it`s one of the-

not Eldar. Not Teleri. Not Avari. The-

[grabs nearby copy of Sil] The [before opening it] Noldor. ... Yabai naa."

Last edited by katya : 12-28-2005 at 09:23 AM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

heh. By posting resolutions, I take the risk that this time next year I won't dare to look back here... but ah well.

1. Go swimming. Regularly. (if the swimming pool is still under construction in January, check out the one at the university.)

2. Read, dammit! Sit down and finish what I started reading, not jump from one book to another until I completely lose track of things.

3. Pass the uni's English filter-test in May. I didn't have the courage to sign up for the one in January... in May I'll HAVE to do it.
Oh, and DON'T miss the signing-up. DON'T.

---

I can't leave that absinthe topic just like that... Meself, I've had red absinthe once. stro-ong. Not with the burning sugar, though... only with water. But with my friends, we decided to down it without the water (it was very a little amount, and we were silly). Let me only say, the water went down too right afterwards. Strooong and burning... Not something I particuarly liked.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Thanx, Nurvi! Yeah, it's the last of my great vices that goes. Isn't it always, with people? Smoking - The Last Great Vice.
it aint my last vice

but it is one of the bigger ones i still have
Old 12-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #17
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
And re-read, or at least read some parts, of the Silmarillion. Just now I couldn`t remember the word Noldo. I was saying something to myself in my head and suddenly I just stopped.
Oh - YES, me too!!

Only I'm far worse than that. I seem to have forgotton the entire contents of the book

*heads off to the Quote Game to guess at SGH's quote - no doubt from the Sil - with absolutely no idea who the speaker is *
Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
4. Excercise more, damnit! If only I had the guts to return to my karate class...
You and I will return together Eärniel!
*cheers Katya on in Kendo*

There's a good number of martial arts-related NYRs in here. That's because martial arts are good for you.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #19
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hmm, here's some -

I want to become more proactive and less reactive.

I want to be the master over paperwork and other trival realities of life, as opposed to letting them rule over me (by avoiding them, for example) so I can have more time for the REALLY important things.

I want to drink in beauty more and hate evil and fight against it more.

I want to abandon myself to loving without worrying about the consequences, knowing that God is in control, even in painful things.

I want to live in the type of joy that is independent of circumstances.

I want to abundantly bless others.

I want to start dancing again, even if only in my own house by myself.

I want to practice the harp diligently so I can play it joyfully.

I want to show my children the wonders and beauties of God and the world He made, especially the people in the world.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #20
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I want to see the spirits . I've wanted to see with my own two eyes in the spiritual realm, ever since I was Born Again in Christ. I've seen before, but only very, very rarely. I have encountered the spiritual strongly on many occasions since I came to know Christ, and I am grateful that he loves to interact with and lead his children rather than leaving them to fend for themselves. However, I really, very dearly want to see the spirits with my own eyes. I prayed that I would see Jesus with my own two eyes before my birthday, but unfortunately, that did not come to pass. I don't know if this is a New Year's resolution . It is most definitely something that must occur in its fullness in my lifetime, though.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote