Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
tharkun27
Sapling

history of middle earth series

Can anybody give me some advice on The History Of Middle-Earth series. I believe there are 12 volumes. I've read the book of lost tales 1&2, The Lays of Beleriand, and The Lost Road... I'm looking for some advice on tackling the others. Any suggested volumes..highlights. Which volumes contain the most narrative form..and where to go from here. Thanks
tharkun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:06 PM   #2
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I'm only on BoLT1 myself, so I don't have any advice.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm on BOLT1 myself too but I'm sure that RÃ*an, SGH and Artanis will certainly recommend Morgoth's Ring (volume 10).
Old 10-02-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

You betcha!!!

And to everyone who has the whole series - *PHHHTTT* (or however you do the funny sticking-your-tongue-out noise ) I'm SOOOO jealous, you lucky dogs!!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:01 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10. I've only read the first two, and I'm on three now. Are ya jealous, RÃ*an? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:09 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

nyah, nyah, nyah - meanie, meanie, meanie!!!!

*TTTHHHHPPPPP!*

*thinks about starting thread - "how do YOU type the raspberry noise?*

BTW, BoP, what is your +/- time off of GMT?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I usually type *PPPPPLLLLLRRRRRTTTTT* if that means anything.

According to my user thingie I'm GMT + 12 hours. But it's off by one hour (not for much longer though - day light savings is coming up soon! )
Old 10-03-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I still have more volumes then you do BoP. Bragger!
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:19 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: history of middle earth series

Quote:
Originally posted by tharkun27
Can anybody give me some advice on The History Of Middle-Earth series. I believe there are 12 volumes. I've read the book of lost tales 1&2, The Lays of Beleriand, and The Lost Road... I'm looking for some advice on tackling the others. Any suggested volumes..highlights. Which volumes contain the most narrative form..and where to go from here. Thanks
You can check out the "Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth" thread if you don't mind some spoilage. The Histories are like dicovering a new facet of Tolkien. Some are a bit boring, some exciting. I suggest you search yourself for where your greatest interest in Tolkien lies. That is the volumes that you will enjoy the most.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:26 PM   #10
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
And to everyone who has the whole series - *PHHHTTT* (or however you do the funny sticking-your-tongue-out noise ) I'm SOOOO jealous, you lucky dogs!!!!!
Yeah! I found BoLT 2 in London this weekend, now I'm only missing BoLT 1. But I'm not going to read them straight away, I've started reading Letters instead, having peeped into the Letters thread. Unless any of you are starting a new thread revealing even more tempting part of the books.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I'm asking for all 12 for xmas... but it's more than $300!
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #12
Rían

I think you can get them a lot cheaper on Amazon, as BoP told me on another thread. I paid $30 for Morgoth's ring at a bookstore, but it was hardback. The less expensive ones must be paperback. At the bookstore I went to, they only had HoME in hardback. BoP said they were about $17 or so, which would make sense for a paperback. Anyway, check it out if you want to.

Old 10-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

RÃ*an is right. The amazon copies are Ballantine paperbacks. (And not very nice copies.) I got BoLT 1 and 2 off amazon before I realised that one of our chains did in fact stock them (and they're a lot nicer than the Ballintines.) I have been quite lucky in that I started collecting them just as Morgoth's Ring came into paperback. (At this moment in time I don't want hardbacks... I just want some reading material that I can treat like crap, and pull out and reference in years to come. When I've finished reading them, no doubt I will have decided by then which ones I want nice copies of.)

(Btw: It was for TWO books. I got BoLT 1 and 2 for the combined price of $13.98 US.)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-03-2002 at 05:28 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:38 PM   #14
Rían

OMGoodness, I MUST check out Amazon! With those prices, it is actually a possibility to get more of HoME! I don't care about hardback, I'd just like the books. And I think it's funny how all of my LoTR paperbacks are now in multiple sections! (here, son, you take this chunk, and I'll take the middle chunk, and ... whoops! drat - now they're all over the floor!!)

Old 10-03-2002, 06:01 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, you should! I tried to post a link to an amazon search, but it didn't like that much...

Just go to www.amazon.com and search for Christopher Tolkien under "books."
Old 10-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I still have more volumes then you do BoP. Bragger!
I just wanna say that, thanks to my better half, I have ALL but one now. [/brag]