Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Galadriel or the Ring?

"Hence forth I shall call nothing fairer lest it be her [Galadriel's] gift to me!"~Gimli son of Gloin.

I just remembered this line from book and film and it made me think of something.(It's not 100% acurate on the words but it's got the gist of it!) If nothing is fairer to Gimli than Galadriel would he then care not for the one ring? After that would he have been an acceptable ring bearer? Legolas and Gimli had become friends and so elf/dwarf strife would not be a factor. The Hobbits were not as hardy as a Dwarf so perhaps he would have been more stead fast. What do you think?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think that the Ring could have shown him all the gifts he could recieve if he had the Ring, many fairer than Galadriels hair.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Theo nly gifts I see which he would desire enough to be tempted would be with Galadriel herself. I think that is the only flaw in my theory.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
Durin1
Elven Warrior

But I don't think that Gimli ever "lusted" after Galadriel. It was more of a plutonic "love" of how fair and noble she looked, being a reminder of bygone days. She is the only elf left in ME (excepting Maglor perhaps!) who was born in the blessed realm.

Also, it seems to me that Tolkien used Gimli's change of heart to emphasise the thawing of icy relations between elves and dwarves. A dwarf's natural instinct is to appreciate things that are made by hands so it i a surprise that Galadriel values her beauty above materialistic things. Hence, Gimli is named "Elf-friend". He is also aware that she has had a "history" in dealing with Dwarves of old: when she names a few places in the the dwarf-tongue, "he looks up in wonder and sees in the heart of an enemy, understanding and pity". Or something like that, I haven't got the book to hand for an exact quote.

As for whether Gimli would have been a good ringbearer: Dwarves were not easily susceptible to the lure of the ring as other races, however, eventually it would have had a hold of him sooner that it would for a hobbit. I've mentioned somewhere else that it depended on characteristics of certain peoples. Gandalf (and Galadriel) mention that they would not take the ring because, although they would mean well in the beginning, eventually it would turn everything (including themselves) to evil. The power of the ring would be according to the strength and will power of the person using it. Gimli would obviously be more stronger and powerful than any hobbit so it wouldn't have been a wise decision to use him or anyone else of the company for that matter as a safe ring bearer.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Actually, I suspect that one of the things that the Ring would have tempted Gimli with would be - Galadriel herself! It knew no decency, and the shortest road to an man's heart is through his deepest desires, however unworthy. No, he - and any other Dwarf - would been a most unsuitable Ringbearer.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think Gimli was just trying to make a point. Surely you don't think he literally lived out his life without calling anything beautiful, except for the gift of Galadriel (or however the quote went)? Anyway, I think we all ought to know you can't trust a man or woman not to be tempted by the One Ring just because he or she says so (although Gimli did not say so).
Old 10-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
inked
Elf Lord

Gimli is confessing that his reference point for the comprehension of beauty has shifted from his previous idea to the revelation of beauty in Galadriel. She becomes for him "Beatrice" (as in Dante's COMMEDIA) - a creaturely incarnation of the reality of Beauty. And well she might, Firstborn as she was, and though not unsullied by the world, certainly mostly untainted!

Gimli would hereafter know beauty in a new mode but he would still be able to call that which less gloriously reflected it "beautuiful".

In this JRRT was imaging forth the power of Eru descending the hierarchal structure of creation revealed in various degrees and manners and capable of apprehension in varying degrees and manners. That a dwarf would so recognize beauty in a living person rather than merely in artefacts of mithril, gold, or other precious metals or jewels, is a revelation of true beauty which is other than that self-created (or culturally understood) concept of beauty. In a sense he could not perhaps otherwise denote, Gimli recognized the beauty revealed by the hand of Eru in this His work of Art, Galadriel. We do the same when we recognize the beauty in others and may react the same way.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Attalus

Hi, inked, welcome to Entmoot.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:54 PM   #9
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Gimli is confessing that his reference point for the comprehension of beauty has shifted from his previous idea to the revelation of beauty in Galadriel. She becomes for him "Beatrice" (as in Dante's COMMEDIA) - a creaturely incarnation of the reality of Beauty. And well she might, Firstborn as she was, and though not unsullied by the world, certainly mostly untainted!
Yeah!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:31 AM   #10
HLGStrider
Hobbit

I also don't think Gimli was lusting for Galadriel. It's one of those sit at someone's feet and sigh sort of loves at the most.

Also, I think that the ideas of not calling anything else beatiful and not being tempted by the ring are far from each other. The Ring was not a beautiful thing. It was not enticing in the way of Galadriel. It was luring only in power, and Gimli did not simply sit down in inaction when struck by Galadriel's glory. He went on and fought and fought hard. He still was obviously able to weild an axe and weilding a ring might seem similar to him at first, just a subtler weapon.

However, I don't see him as being tempted that easily. I think he would've gotten himself killed rather than fall to the ring. Dwarves aren't subtle, and would rather fight than hide.
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #11
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Gimli recognized the beauty revealed by the hand of Eru in this His work of Art, Galadriel.
Yeh, right!
He was crushed not by beauty, but by kindness, which was actually nothing but cold calculated play, as all Lothlorien's politic:doesn't matter what happening, the matter is how Lorien can turn it for its advantage. And royal Lord and Lady are beginning to play "bad cop, good cop" for Gimli benefit.
I don't believe that "the Wisest of the Elves" in thouthands years did not learn to control his own emotions, and did not know how dangerous is to offend the dwarves. His uncle Thingol got killed because of his snobbish detestation towards underground smiths.
Yet, Gimli, the dwarf of royal lineage, is singled out and got publically offended TWICE! More then that, he got a heavy burden of blame that because of him the whole Fellowship woud be suffering a dire consequences by denial of the entrance of the northern borders and facing the ord of Orcs on their own.
Did not he feel cold and antagonism, did not he sank in the ocean of loneliness, because even his friends did not say a word in his defence, shyily averting their eyes? I bet, he did!
And in the very depth of his misery came the kind words of support of the one from whom he would never even dreamt to get.
And in this words, given in his ancient tongue, the warmth of the lost home and an understanding love and compassion.
Elves word is as shattering as elves arrow, and Gimli , shot by kindness and undestanding of the Greatest of the Great, is already hanging on the trophy's belt of the golden-haired hunter.From now on this tangar will be more than willing advertiserof the Elves wiseness, nobility and beauty among other
dwarves , and if the need comes he, unhesitantly, will throw himself on danger to defend the lady of his heart.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:47 AM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nice theory, and one partly made explicit in the text. Is there not a line something like:

"Looking into the heart of an enemy and finding understanding"?

Not sure if this is as coldly manipulative as you suggest, though. I think it was genuine. Galadriel had good reasons to be more empathic towards dwarves; being Noldorin, and hence sharing some of their love of things made by craft; having lived in Eregion and traded with them in Moria; and being able to remember the dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost coming to the aid of the Noldor in the First Age.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #13
Attalus

I have no doubt that Galadriel's appeal was made much more intense by her unearthly beauty, and Elves were always being accused of stealing mortals' hearts, but Gimli wasn't spirited away under Elf Hill and wasn't found 'palely loitering' on a wintry field. If fact, he seemed much the better Dwarf for it, adding to his appreciation of beauty. It's always good to have something to think about other than oneself.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #14
inked
Elf Lord

Ahh, Olmer,
Besotted with the cynicism of the age in which you dwell,
You would consign all others the same hell to indwell!
Alas for you the world that Tolkein made
Shall break through and your spirit unshade!
Yet shall light of Trees-in-Star
Break Ungoliant's poison dripping from afar!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-29-2004, 12:34 AM   #15
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Ahh, Olmer,
Besotted with the cynicism of the age in which you dwell,
You would consign all others the same hell to indwell!
Alas for you the world that Tolkein made
Shall break through and your spirit unshade!
Yet shall light of Trees-in-Star
Break Ungoliant's poison dripping from afar!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel!!!
Heh..heh... We have a poet here...

Let me reciprocate with:

I can afford a cynicism in age in which I dwell
And not to care what others would have think of me, as well.
Indeed, the world of Tolkien for me is not a shell,
But real place where true-life men can contentedly dwell.
Not all the dripping poison has been coming from the hell,
It could provide the medicine for man which unwell.
I wouldn't say your prayers did not ring for me the bell,
But to free my spirit from the shade you need a stronger spell!!!
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

Olmer,

Lembas, lembas, lembas!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #17
Attalus

Should we quote Legolas, who did not want to keep Gollum in close confinement lest he fall back into his old, black thoughts?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:32 AM   #18
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

McGonagall lives!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 PM   #19
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Gimli's phrase was whjat some of us call a figure of speech. Its this crazy thing people do when they want to make a point. Its pretty nifty . Dwarves would have not been good ringbearers because they would have been tempted by the gold and the power over raw materials it would give them. The wearer of the rign could probably make the most amazing stuff. I mean what dwarf wouldnt want that. Gladriel or no Galadriel.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #20
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I think that the Ring could have shown him all the gifts he could recieve if he had the Ring, many fairer than Galadriels hair.
I don't know... we all should remember what Galadriel's hair supposedly drove Fëanor to do...

I do however agree with Olmer and The Gaffer, rather than simply her beauty, it was probably Galadriel's kindness that made the most impact on Gimli.

Haradrim: I don't know if I misinterpreted something, but I always got the impression that dwarves were fairly resilient - not to gold, but to the promise of power - especially when compared to Elves; that they would rather stay out of things and not get involved...

Am I far off?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote