Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

NCAA March Madness Game!

Okay, this is now open for people to join! The rules are probably going to be similar to the NFL game, but that is variable. This thread is going to currently be used for discussion of this. Anyone want to join?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

so basically once the bracket is out w'ell post our picks?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh ok you made it already then. Well ignore what I said in the other thread then!

Since the brackets arent out yet you can always get a clue of how things might shape up by going to http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology. But we wont know for sure until March 16 rolls around of course...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex (Other Thread)
Sounds good. Should start a thread at least a week or so out from selection sunday so people be more exposed to it. It can be intimidating if you just slap a bracket sheet on someone.
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun on that one, huh?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 02-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
count me in i love march maddness
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Curubethion

All right. Sweet.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Wake up! Anybody have any thoughts yet? I cant believe Tennessee got a second seed. They were hoping at best to get a 3 or a 4. And wow Did GW and Gonzaga get dissed.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Spaceman Spiff

I almost forgot about this thread.

So, how are we going to work this? We can't very well have all 60 some games being picked at once. I suggest that untill we get to the elite 8, or maybe start with the sweet 16, that since this was Curub's thread that he pick, say, 7 or 8 key games that we will pick the winners from. Everyone can pick the team that they think will win it all, or maybe make it to the final four, and get extra points for picking those right. I don't know this does seem rather difficult to do without a bracket. Curub, get your butt in here and make some executive decisions.

Here's my pick to win it all:

DUKE! Go Blue Devils!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Farimir, you a Duke fan? Nice!! Have you heard of the famous Tucker Max, the writer from Duke Law? He wrote "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell," one of my favourite new publications. His website is tuckermax.com - Anyway, I digress.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Farimir, you a Duke fan? Nice!! Have you heard of the famous Tucker Max, the writer from Duke Law? He wrote "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell," one of my favourite new publications. His website is tuckermax.com - Anyway, I digress.
Do I like Duke? Does Coach K win championships? YES! I've been a fan since Christian Latner, Grant Hill, and my all time fav Bobby Hurley were there. J.J. Redick is amazing. He's tearing it up this year. so once again I'll say this and dissapear:

Go Blue Devils!!!

Edit- Ohh, and yeah I've heard of Tucker Max but know little about him.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-13-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

What? Of course you pick all the games. Thats the fun of it. Not just a few. Go to http://asap.washingtonpost.com/tourn...r/bracket.html They have an interactive bracket thing that you can save right on their site and we can all see each others that way. We could save everything as ENTMOOT - <user name> or something.

Oh and Go Hoyas...

Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
What? Of course you pick all the games. Thats the fun of it. Not just a few. Go to http://asap.washingtonpost.com/tourn...r/bracket.html They have an interactive bracket thing that you can save right on their site and we can all see each others that way. We could save everything as ENTMOOT - <user name> or something.

Oh and Go Hoyas...
Sweet! Good find In. Rex! I'll need a little more time to think about my picks but will have them done by the time things get under way. I'll save my bracket under the name Captain Faramir. Notice I used the "A" instead of the "I" I have in my name here.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
Spaceman Spiff

Okay, bracket complete. Here it is:

http://asap.washingtonpost.com/tourn...l?13195558-157

Now, I know I went with some obvious choices but let me explain some of the odd ones I made. First West Virginia. I have them going to the elite 8 for two reasons: Pittsnogle and Gansey. These guys hit threes like Tommy Lee hits his wives. Sorry In. Rex, I know your a G-town fan but I think my native buckeyes migt be a little to tough for them. I'm not really sure why I have Oklahoma going as far as I do. Just have a feeling about them. There's always that one Cinderella team, and I think it's them this year. I won't go into anymore detail now, I'll wait and see what you fellows pick.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-13-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo- it happens a lot
Old 03-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

http://asap.washingtonpost.com/tourn...l?14120022-302

Eso es el mio.

I have some very odd picks, but screw it, I enjoyed making them. GO HUSKIES. And I don't mean UConn

Oh, and I suggest we run this in two ways - first have these full brackets, then at, say, the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 have everyone start picking those (actual) matchups daybyday.

Last edited by Count Comfect : 03-14-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Count Comfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Those are some crazy picks count. GW has no chance of beating Duke. But good of you to follow your heart with your Washington pick. Whenever I play pools I always have one scenario where Georgetown goes all the way no matter how unlikely and then another more realistic scenario. That way you dont feel guilty about picking against your team. And you feel good about throwing away some cash to a lost hope because its for your team. Its kind of like making a sacrifice to the college baskteball gods in the hopes that your picks will do well...

Old 03-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
Spaceman Spiff

Very interesting picks Count. You may end picking some of the upsets with that bracket. Ohio State is good but going to the final four? They havn't been there since Scooney Penn and Micheal Redd were there. Don't think they will this year either. I like the idea of picking the acual games once the 16 have been decided, it puts everyone back in the game. In. Rex, those basketball gods can be cruel. Even more than the baseball gods.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-14-2006 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo- yet another one
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
Curubethion

Sweet site...
My picks
Ok I admit, I gave a few picks to KS teams...
And my bracket upsets Duke...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #18
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

All right... I FINALLY finished... Insidious Rex's Bracket

I really wanted to pick Illinois and North Carolina but they are both in the same bracket and I just dont see either of them getting past Connecticut. That DC region is a real bear. Might try to grab some tickets to some of those games since I only work a few miles from there...

Old 03-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #19
Curubethion

Hey...I like my bracket so far...
What's the scoring system? It looks like it'll be easy to keep a running tally.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Hey...I like my bracket so far...
What's the scoring system? It looks like it'll be easy to keep a running tally.
Your thread, your rules Curub. I say we go through give out 1 point for each correct pick and 2 points if you picked the upset. Then when it gets to the sweet 16 we can start picking from the actual games and each one of those will count for 2 points and an upset 4 points, like right now the score would be:

Faramir:13

Curubethion:11

In Rex:9

Count:16

You might wanna go back through and recount the numbers but I think I got 'em right. This way once the sweet 16 starts it gives someone a chance of coming back to win. Just a suggestion. I'm open to whatever you guys want to do.

BTW- Oklahoma, wtf happened?!