FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2003, 09:40 PM   #1841
Ruinel
Banned

*sigh* I gave you the logical proofs already. *is too tired to continue today*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #1842
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, I'm talking about formal logical proofs. You've given me your opinion, which is different. I think there is logical thinking behind your opinion, but one cannot formally, logically prove what you were claiming to prove. That was my point.

**EDIT** - I don't mean to say we're getting into formal logical proofs here, just that what you're claiming can't be "logically proved", altho you can hold a logical opinion on it.

ps - I think I know why you're tired -- put on your skivvies and run around!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-28-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 AM   #1843
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Did anyone else find that totally confusing! I need Anduril!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:20 AM   #1844
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think I'm gonna run off to see a movie with my husband - see if Orli still looks like an elf in "Pirates" - maybe I'll speak more clearly tomorrow!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-29-2003, 12:49 AM   #1845
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I'm gonna have to agree with Lief here-

In this claim he's not saying that he can prove his religion is true by logic; he's saying that since different religions say mutually contradictory things they cannot all be true.

Further, I don't think is he claiming that any one of them is (logically) necessarily true; they may all be false ( as we atheists believe); for that matter they may all be false and atheism may be wrong as well- the Truth may not yet be known, or indeed it may be Unknowable.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #1846
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Lief of course I understand where you are coming from - that doesn't make it any better and I still find christians to be offensive (when they are promoting their religion and still find them to be arrogant. i already understood that Christians felt their religion to be absolute truth, hence the arrogance).

Of course, where do the different denominations of Chrstianity fit in? It's all the same to me, but not to Christians I suppose. Christians believe that Christianity as a whole is the superior religion, but what about denominations? Do Catholics believe that their wey is right and Protestants will go to hell or what? Just curious.

Yes, I know this is a religion topic so of course there will be Christians here promoting thier religion :P

I was just saying what I found irritating in general, you know ? Like in the past there have been really in your face irritating Christians on this board. Luckily they have since left.......

Religious Sigs are annoying - but I just ignore them

Of course if I just met someone and they were an 'in your face Christian," that would be a big turnoff. Glad I don't really know any of those ppl. I know several devout Christians, but they don't bother anyone with it - as it should be.

Unrelated topic:
I accidently ate pork today! now i really feel sick. I never kept kosher, but I always stayed away from pork, ham, bacon, and other pig products - but mainly because Pigs have always been my favorite animals - and they are also the smartest animal next to primates and dolphins i believe - yes smarter and better than stupid dogs and cats. In over 15 years I have managed to stay away from eating pigs - i am sure that I never have, until now that is grr stupid free sample - should have told me.

er that sort of related to religions - i broke kosher (not that i ever kept to the other rules, not even sure what they all are)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:11 AM   #1847
Rían

Oh, too bad about the pork, Hobbit - it's one thing to decide to do certain things, but a bummer if you decide to not do something then unintentionally/accidentally do it.

wow, I better go to bed - I'm having trouble wording things tonite!

"Pirates" was really fun, tho - I kept expecting Orli to say "Aragorn! Over here!" Jonny Depp was hysterical - a perfect mindless summer movie.

Last edited by Rían : 07-29-2003 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:55 AM   #1848
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Lief of course I understand where you are coming from - that doesn't make it any better and I still find christians to be offensive (when they are promoting their religion and still find them to be arrogant. i already understood that Christians felt their religion to be absolute truth, hence the arrogance).

Of course, where do the different denominations of Chrstianity fit in? It's all the same to me, but not to Christians I suppose. Christians believe that Christianity as a whole is the superior religion, but what about denominations? Do Catholics believe that their wey is right and Protestants will go to hell or what? Just curious.

Catholics don't beleive that all Protestants go to hell....although you will always get extreme people in all faiths saying that NO other way is possible to to go to heaven....I don't deny that I know some protestants and catholics who think this...I don't, and the Church doesn't teach that...I know, I know, all the persecution during the Reformation suggests otherwise...but I think that was just a matter of the people themselves who didn't like the fact that the Church was splitting up not the actual doctrine of the Church which has never changed since it started
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:23 AM   #1849
Silme*Christian
Lady of Lamedon

Hello everyone. If I posted this in the Happy Thread, then everyone would snuff me, so I want to post it here: I am happy cause I learned a lot about Jesus and His Father in Heaven! And I made a comitment to Him to remain pure! "For those who are pure in heart, the King shall evermore favour them."

Jesus scares the "hell" out of people! He rocks!

http://linwe.proboards19.com/index.cgi
Silme*Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 PM   #1850
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Further, I don't think is he claiming that any one of them is (logically) necessarily true; they may all be false ( as we atheists believe); for that matter they may all be false and atheism may be wrong as well- the Truth may not yet be known, or indeed it may be Unknowable.
and THATS where we agnostics come in! mathmatically the most likely scenerio by far if you ask me. I mean what are the chances of our human mind comprehending the infinite scope of the divine? or being able to prove that there cant BE a divine. silly people...

but on a related note i assume christians (and probably other religions) cant accept the idea that all religions and much philosophical thinking perhaps reflects not so much some literal and highly specific truth but actually a broader reflection of something more innate and harder to grasp. Many religions are similar enough in their scope and ideals to be kind of a human reflection of something beyond our grasp. So we create these religions to allow us to sort of tap into that source the best way we can. Perhaps the divine is beyond our comprehension and we strive always to translate it to our limited understanding. Perhaps religion is simply a vehicle to a much greater truth that we cant ever know.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #1851
Ruinel
Banned

Silme... no one is going to snuff you in the Happy thread, quit spamming.

Sorry about the pork, HOBBIT. I don't eat pork as a rule either.

{Buddhism is the only exception to the following, that I know of.}

#1) all religions believe that they are the true religion of their god
#2) all sects of religions believe they are following the correct doctrine of their worship of said god
#3) all religions believe that other religions are false.
#4) all religions pray to a god, not necessarily the same god.
#5) all religions believe they pray to the correct and true god
#6) all religions have been involved in wars for the sake of their religions, though their own doctrine forbids the killing of other people.
#7) the people of a religion believe that through faithful adherence to the doctrine of their religion and religious leaders, they will reap a reward after they die, and the nonbelievers (other religions) will either be given a far lesser reward or will suffer upon their death for their lack of faith in the true god.

We can say that the truth of a religion is a perspective held only by the followers of that religion. Because no religion can be held universally correct, therefore all religions are false.

Last edited by Ruinel : 07-29-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #1852
Rían

Silme - good for you! You won't regret that commitment - it's well worth it

Old 07-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #1853
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Silme - good for you! You won't regret that commitment - it's well worth it
it is indeed, but a very difficult one so I wish you the best Silme in doing so
Old 07-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #1854
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Wow. This thread is really long.

I just wanna say, Yay for Religion! I'm gonna be a theologist when I grow up.

Are the majority of people in this thread Christian?

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #1855
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Because no religion can be held universally correct, therefore all religions are false.
um, sorry, but your "because" does not match your "therefore", IMO. I don't agree that your conclusion is a logical deduction from your premise, because the universality of a religion does NOT reflect on its whether or not it's the truth.

For example, I think that the vast majority of Tolkien fans that have read the Sil think would say that Fingon is Gil-Galad's father, but you and I, Ruinel, know that that was something that Christopher Tolkien wrote, and Tolkien's last word on the subject was that his father was Orodreth. Does majority opinion make something right? No.

*stops to sing "Gil-Galad was an Elven King, of him the harpers sadly sing, the last whose realm was fair and free, between the mountains and the sea ...."*

A religion either does or does not reflect the truth; right? Whether or not it is universally thought to reflect the truth is irrelevant.

I agree with your opening statement, tho - "There is no way to logically prove any belief system." That's why we need to use other methods of evaluation.

And I also disagree with your #6. How can this be right? If you look into it, as far as Christianity at least, it's "no murder", which is different from killing in war situations and even self-defense situations.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 PM   #1856
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
it is indeed, but a very difficult one ....
Yes, it is certainly difficult - but many great goods are achieved thru difficulty. But they're worth it! And it helps to make up your mind ahead of time. Also to decide to NOT change that decision in the middle of a tempting situation, but only when you're able to think clearly and calmly.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #1857
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Katt_knome_hobbit

what religion do you belong to Katt_knome_hobbit?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #1858
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Yes, it is certainly difficult - but many great goods are achieved thru difficulty. But they're worth it! And it helps to make up your mind ahead of time. Also to decide to NOT change that decision in the middle of a tempting situation, but only when you're able to think clearly and calmly.
oh I completely agree! I think the most important thing to do is to avoid tempting situations to begin with, because before you know it, you're in too deep and it's very hard to pull yourself out
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #1859
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Katt_knome_hobbit

I'm a Christian - Yay for God!

Let's see - on this page, Arien and Silme and I are Christian. Lief Erikson is too - he's on the previous page, I think.

I remember your name, Katt, but I haven't seen you for a long time - have you been gone for awhile, or do we just post on different threads?

Old 07-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #1860
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
um, sorry, but your "because" does not match your "therefore", IMO. I don't agree that your conclusion is a logical deduction from your premise, because the universality of a religion does NOT reflect on its whether or not it's the truth.
A religion either does or does not reflect the truth; right? Whether or not it is universally thought to reflect the truth is irrelevant.

I agree with your opening statement, tho - "There is no way to logically prove any belief system." That's why we need to use other methods of evaluation....
These are your opinions, and not fact. NO offense intended.

The point I was making is that all religions claim to hold the REAL TRUTH. If they are all different, then that claim is false. Therefore, all religions are false and not true.