FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #161
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

spoken like a true king Val
Old 03-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #162
BeardofPants
the Shrike

<---- see location for thoughts on this TRAVESTY.

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Side Note: 11 Oscars
RotK deserved it
Ben-Hur deserved it
Titanic did NOT

NO.
NO.
YES.

By the way, I actually liked her hair. Not the glasses. But I liked the hair. It was unusual.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #163
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Pailan
Imho, the 11 for 11 clean sweep is justified...
Wha-? Frell no! Mystic River should have gotten best picture and director. Gnrrrrr.

btw: welcome back.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-01-2004 at 06:04 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #164
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
<---- see location for thoughts on this TRAVESTY.
Still trying to get a look at Jackson's nipples?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #165
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Aha just saw on the news that PJ is planning on doing a follow up to LOTR:

Quote:
"The presequel, I'm told it is - The Hobbit" - Reporter
haha... I wish Johnny Depp had one Best Actor, although that's probably my own personal bias. He did do a great job in PoC, so I'm glad he received recognition from those other awards last week - SAGS, was it? lol
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #166
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Johnny Depp was excellent in PoC! I wanted him to win that too. That wonderful walk he did, and the shifty eyes, he was so consistent. Great characterisation. I think he didn't win because PoC was a summer comedy. But it was a great summer comedy!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:36 PM   #167
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

11 was probably more than ROTK deserved, but the rest of the Trilogy didn't get enough recognition, so I guess it balances out. If nothing else, I'm glad PJ got credit for all he accomplished. Despite the PASSIONATE disagreement of many Mooters, PJ impressed me quite a bit with LOTR. He handled the largest production of all time, made three movies with no break in production, and successfully adapted one of the most beloved pieces of literature of the 20th Century. I'm glad he had a chance to take a bow.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:39 PM   #168
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by luinilwen haha... I wish Johnny Depp had one Best Actor, although that's probably my own personal bias. He did do a great job in PoC, so I'm glad he received recognition from those other awards last week - SAGS, was it? lol [/B]
I'm a big Johnny Depp fan as well, and he was fantastic in PoC. At the same time, I don't think it's his finest role. Besides that, Sean Penn was incredible. Depp winning for PoC would be a bit like Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman. A great performance, but not his most memorable. I think Depp has an Oscar (or more than one) in his future. Now, if he'd won for Donnie Brasco, that'd be a different story...
Old 03-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #169
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Wow! What a relief that LotR got as many awards as it deserves!! I couldn't have been a happier little chickie. Oh and yeah, i would've liked to see Johnny depp win Best Actor… but lets face it, sean Penn is pretty good too… and neither of them are that fond of Hollywood so not getting it probably wouldn't have bothered either of them too much! But YAY! And congrats again to peter Jackson and the whole team.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #170
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I am a bit confused, though. How does one win the Oscar for best film editing and several other technical awards and not even get nominated for cinematography?

And how about an award for the landscape of New Zealand?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:46 AM   #171
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
I don't think there's anyone here who could honestly say they believe the oscars are won on pure merit

Especially when you consider it's now 'officially' joint top with Titannic, one of the most over-hyped (great film, but not THAT great) films ever released. Oh but wait, on those grounds it DOES deserve to be level with Titanic!
However, the other 11 oscar winner, Ben-Hur is definitly one of the great films of History, and deserved all 11!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
OH and how many people ACTUALLY agree that Titanic was one of the BEST movies of ALL time? So in other words - Lord of the Rings matches up with Tititanic. Well Titanic was a pure box office success - that is all. Other than that - it is a very forgettable film. How many people actually watch Titanic anymore?
Again, Ben-Hur Is one of the best movies of all time...In fact both the 1925 silent version and the oscar winning one with Charlton Heston were landmarks.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-02-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #172
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Titanic was not fantasy but reality. Titanic sank to the depths to plum emotional votes.
I hate that film.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #173
azalea
Long lost mooter

Not to mention the gratuitous appeal to modern teen girls with handsome Lil' Leo and the fiesty heroine who is surprisingly liberal for the early 1900s. Forbidden love always sells, I guess.
I didn't want to see it because the thought of watching so many people drown wasn't appealing, but after it won best pic, I borrowed the video from my sister in law who loved it, thinking, well it must be pretty good at least to have won best pic over the others that year. I was wrong in that assumption. Maybe we should make a thread -- "criticisms of Titanic."

I find it interesting that although it was extremely popular, there seems to be a high percentage of mooters who disliked it (or even hated it).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #174
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
A very good geek boy friend of mine and I joked about this recently.

"Oh, that stupid boat movie. We don't care about actual historical events, it's time something that isn't true was recognized!"

Or something like that. BUT, the best thing is, we said it in complete sincerity.

Hoo-ah to geekdom.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #175
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oh, back on topic, I forgot to ask if anyone had heard this: New line had an Oscar party the day of the Oscars in honor of RotK. Paris Hilton CRASHED the party (IOW she came but hadn't been invited -- what nerve! ), and as she got out of her limo she stepped knee deep into a Japanse style pond. HA-ha! Some people actually went to help her out, while others, including Andy Serkis, simply looked on bemusedly. I normally don't follow that kind of "what the stars are doing" kind of thing, but when the blurb on my IPs home page said New Line Oscar party, I was curious. Also, three viewers from Oprah got to attend the New Line party -- if I had known I might have entered! They got to hold PJs Oscars. Wouldn't some of us have liked the chance to talk to PJ?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #176
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Wouldn't some of us have liked the chance to talk to PJ?
I wonder if they checked those people for weapons before letting them near PJ?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #177
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

lol!
Well, I'm thrilled that RotK won all it was nominated for!!! Totally rock on, dude (such occasions call for some modern lingo)! I was surprised that it didn't get any Best Actor nominees (at the very least Ian McKellen), but I suppose that one of the beauties of the movie is that EVERYBODY played their parts equally flawless, so no one actor can be really singled out. Besides- it's better to think that they ARE their characters, than that they ACTED their characters.
GO RotK!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #178
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea

I didn't want to see it because the thought of watching so many people drown wasn't appealing, but after it won best pic, I borrowed the video from my sister in law who loved it, thinking, well it must be pretty good at least to have won best pic over the others that year. I was wrong in that assumption. Maybe we should make a thread -- "criticisms of Titanic."

I find it interesting that although it was extremely popular, there seems to be a high percentage of mooters who disliked it (or even hated it).
Really! I still have an unopened video...somewhere in one of my downstairs closets. My mom-in-law gave it to us when it first came out. She got it from QVC..."Today's Special Value" or something like that. I never took the shrinkwrap off. I always seemed to have something better to do than watch Titanic! May as well give it to Goodwill after reading this!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #179
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
OK, here I go. You really don't think that putting those books on film took genius? The effort required in detail, patience etc., doesn't deserve recognition. And that it all can't qualify as superior to a movie about a horse or love or anything else that is an ordinary story in terms of reality? Gadz they should change the name of this board to "the unrealistic board".
Genius? Define genius. In what was it genial?
The vision it took to do it?
You could accurately say it was a risky gambit, one that no one else was willing to take. In itself it demonstrates boldness and initiative to undertake it, not geniality.
The work done in the settings and costumes?
Yes, it was a great work, as it was the one with special effects.
The music?
Considering the entire movie ‘trilogy’, it was good, some of the themes were excellent, other were simply reasonable, but overall, they were good.
The directing?
Reasonable, but it was not excellent.
The adaptation?
Definitely not. If the movies were good, as light entertainment, they are a very mediocre adaptation. Just considering the scenes he did film, more than one could easily be better by simply staying close to the original, and I doubt that, for the most part, it would really need further extension of the lengthy movie duration. Plus, not all the scenes that PJ added were truly needed, were they?

So let’s be logical, Mr. Spock:
If we assume all PJ wanted to do was movies loosely based in the LotR, then he did well, but then, not truly genial, however, if the plan was to make a serious adaptation, than it was a failure at that level.

It was not a genial work. It was a bold undertaking, well accomplished in certain levels, reasonable in another, and a failure in a crucial one.

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #180
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pailan
(Nice to be back)
Pailan! The Oscars wouldn't ever be the same without you.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote